• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Fire Scioscia

tdawg87

14 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Who are the players you would rather build a team around right now? Trout, Betts, and who?

I honestly can't think of anyone better/younger than Correa other than those 2.

Trout, Altuve, Betts, Judge, Bryant, Syndergaard, Seager, Sale, Machado, and Arenado (although it's debatable).

7 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

Trout, Betts, Judge, Bryant, Syndergaard, Seager, Sale, Machado, and Arenado (although it's debatable).

So Correa needs to have a longer track record but Judge, Seager and Betts don’t?  Ok....  I’ll also ignore that Seager is out with TJ surgery. 

2 hours ago, CubsFan said:

There's a differences between being medicore and blatantly tanking.  Cubs and Stros were medicore for a long time then finally realized that tanking and stockpiling talent is the best way to win the WS.  And it worked.

They weren't mediocre? Are you kidding me?

Cubs had 7 losing seasons from 2005 to 2014.

During that span they lost 101 games in 2012

Lost 90+ games in 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013 and lost 89 games in 2014.

Meanwhile Astros were so bad they were called the Lastros.

They had 8 straight losing seasons from 2007 to 2014.

They lost 106, 107, and 111 games in three straight years from 2011 to 2013.

There is a reason why they have so much young talent.

Meanwhile 

Scioscia, the manager you hate had 6 losing seasons his entire 19 year career.

He never had a season where he lost 90 games.

I would say it was the Angel's that have been mediocre in 7 of last 8 seasons.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

They weren't mediocre? Are you kidding me?

Cubs had 7 losing seasons from 2005 to 2014.

During that span they lost 101 games in 2012

Lost 90+ games in 2006, 2011, 2012, 2013 and lost 89 games in 2014.

Meanwhile Astros were so bad they were called the Lastros.

They had 8 straight losing seasons from 2007 to 2014.

They lost 106, 107, and 111 games in three straight years from 2011 to 2013.

There is a reason why they have so much young talent.

Meanwhile 

Scioscia, the manager you hate had 6 losing seasons his entire 19 year career.

He never had a season where he lost 90 games.

I would say it was the Angel's that have been mediocre in 7 of last 8 seasons.

Yes I agree.

That's the problem.  Angels have been mediocre.

cubs started tanking, especially under Epstein as gas Houston.

2 hours ago, CubsFan said:

Yes I agree.

That's the problem.  Angels have been mediocre.

cubs started tanking, especially under Epstein as gas Houston.

Well I guess if your happy going through 7 losing seasons out of 9, yes it's a brilliant strategy.

I like the fact that thevAngels have tried to compete every year.  The problem is they f'd trading Napoli for Wells, retreated from international scouting, signing Pujols,  Hamilton, not just for salary cap limitations but losing draft picks, letting Santana go and brought in our dominant foursome of Hanson, Blanton, Sean Burnette, and Ryan Madson.

Just about everything Dipoto did was an ultimate disaster.   We had the best record in baseball in 2014.  Do you think we could have had a better shot at KC if we didn't have Hamilton and not suffered injuries?

6 hours ago, CubsFan said:

There's a differences between being medicore and blatantly tanking.  Cubs and Stros were medicore for a long time then finally realized that tanking and stockpiling talent is the best way to win the WS.  And it worked.

Saying the Cubs tanked is idiotic 

1 hour ago, Lou said:

Saying the Cubs tanked is idiotic 

Huh? They not only did it (sold every bulky contract they could for whatever they could get and poured all the money into scouting and developing young players, and improving their scouting and minor league systems) But they explained the idea to the season ticket holders and asked them to be patient through the process.

1 hour ago, Homebrewer said:

Huh? They not only did it (sold every bulky contract they could for whatever they could get and poured all the money into scouting and developing young players, and improving their scouting and minor league systems) But they explained the idea to the season ticket holders and asked them to be patient through the process.

If the Angels did that right now they would be kissing off the best years of Trout, Upton, Simmons and possibly Ohtani.  I think Eppler knows that kind of plan works (like the Cubs executed), and he will continue to put a heavy emphasis on developing the farm and scouting systems.  But he is also stuck with trying to take some kind of advantage of the fact that he has Trout, Upton, Simmons and Ohtani.  I think he would have to have a heavy surplus at a position to jettison any of our top prospects in favor of a veteran or rental.  In my opinion Eppler did not go all out this past off season to win now, he held back, a calculated risk if you will.  Kinsler, Cozart, Young, Calhoun and Rivera are not premium players.  To an extent they are a gamble.  Unfortunately during the first quarter of the season that gamble does not appear to have a payback.  Eppler also did not invest in the pen, that was by purpose as he had some funds to do so, but he held back.  If the Angels had told their fans that they were going to roll with Trout, Ohtani, Simmons, and supplement with younger prospects only (not signing Kinsler, Cozart, Rivera, Young, Upton, and not playing Pujols),  the general fan base would have cried a river.

I like what is developing in the minor leagues.  In my opinion, we have some really good infield prospects, outfields as well, the pitching needs better prospects.  Kinsler and Young should be the first to worry about keeping their jobs.  Cozart is really versatile, and I think he has the best chance of turning things around with the bat once he more familiar with American League pitching.    Calhoun is a problem, but like many on this board I find it hard to believe he won't snap out of it and become an average player anyway.  Rivera is a just one year fill in, along with Valbuena.

I've heard numerous times that major league baseball is not a fan of taking your lumps for a number of years to get high draft choices, and change your salary base to a much lower level in order to rise again in the future.  The league would prefer all teams competing for a championship at all times.  I think they are lax in making changes to foster this because their is no easy way to regulate it.  And my last thought is that Boston and New York have found a way to compete virtually every year, and retooling while as they do it.  the formula worked for them, albeit because they spent a lot of money not in player personnel but in all aspects, their minor league systems, scouting, international, etc.. 

33 minutes ago, Lou said:

If they did admit to tanking then I am wrong.

Link? 

I generally don't think that teams want to be known for "tanking" it.  It's about as popular as admitting you make big donations to the NRA right now.

5 minutes ago, tomsred said:

I generally don't think that teams want to be known for "tanking" it.  It's about as popular as admitting you make big donations to the NRA right now.

But Claude stated as fact that the cubs explained the idea of tanking to their season ticket holders. I'm merely asking for proof. 

9 minutes ago, Lou said:

But Claude stated as fact that the cubs explained the idea of tanking to their season ticket holders. I'm merely asking for proof. 

Claude didn't say that. Stop mixing up white people. We don't all look the same.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Claude didn't say that. Stop mixing up white people. We don't all look the same.

Lou and his Fake News. 

?

1443A0D2-FE9A-4907-9F75-8219D2589B44.png