• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Local School Shooting Threats (Whittier, Long Beach)

14 minutes ago, Tank said:

maybe we need an emotional plea from someone who has had to deal with victim's of a shooting like this to wake up and get rid of certain weapons at our disposal that have no business being at our disposal in the first place.

clearly, there are certain guns that go beyond a reasonable application of the right to bear arms. the AR 15 is one of them.

I agree with you Tank.  I myself do not own a gun but that is only because when I was looking into buying one my wife vetoed that idea.  I have 4 friends that own AR 15s.  Only one of them has a military background.  They are all great gun owners who are knowledgeable and safe with their weapons.  However, it is easy to see the amount of damage this gun could do in a very short amount of time if it fell into the wrong hands. If my buddies need to give up their "hobby" so that less children die when a mass shooter has to take a hunting rifle/handgun  to a school instead of an AR 15 then I am all for it.  I wouldn't be for taking away all guns but the fact that the AR 15 has been the gun of choice in mass shootings lately also tells me that the  crazy murders see the advantages of it too.  

12 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Maybe, but I don't think an appeal to emotion is the right way to get there.  Everyone has their stories.

if we keep doing the status quo, absolutely nothing will change. this idleness we're stuck in right now isn't accomplishing anything. i agree that it can't be just an emotional appeal, but nothing is being done on ANY level. something's got to change. i'm a big fan of the kids from florida doing what they're doing right now because they see the inactivity of the adults in their lives and they aren't satisfied with it. i hope several positive things come from their actions.

4 minutes ago, Tank said:

if we keep doing the status quo, absolutely nothing will change. this idleness we're stuck in right now isn't accomplishing anything. i agree that it can't be just an emotional appeal, but nothing is being done on ANY level. something's got to change. i'm a big fan of the kids from florida doing what they're doing right now because they see the inactivity of the adults in their lives and they aren't satisfied with it. i hope several positive things come from their actions.

I agree that things can be done.  Problem is that most power brokers don't want to compromise.

Bill Gates could be a game changer and buy Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Colt and stop production of any and all assault style weapons not headed directly to military contracts, recall everything in the public sale market and destroy them.

Probably cost him 1/4 of his wealth and send the message to Congress that they need to follow up on the rest of the manufacturers and blocad any international shipments.

And in those few short months he would replace Trump as the most polarizing man on the planet.

21 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Can the media stop overshowing tragedies like this?    They are partially contributing to this.   Did the media go all gung ho like this when Charles Whitman killed on the U of Texas campus in 1966?   Some of the mentally ill feed off of notoriety.

While they are at it, tell them to get those STUPID police/suspect car chases off the air too!     Nothing like giving future suspects ammo!  

Sad!

3 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

I agree that things can be done.  Problem is that most power brokers don't want to compromise.

yep, nobody wants to give in on their position. there is no compromise on this issue, so the status quo remains firmly in place. meanwhile, we all prepare to be outraged again when the next school shooting happens in a week or two.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

yep, nobody wants to give in on their position. there is no compromise on this issue, so the status quo remains firmly in place. meanwhile, we all prepare to be outraged again when the next school shooting happens in a week or two.

Do the political parties ever compromise on anything anymore?   How did it get so bad?    Lobbyists money? 

5 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

I was almost going to start a separate thread about the following. Full blown insanity.

Police called, house searched after student makes a comment about a math symbol:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article201604224.html

I'd sure like to know what this kid said that warranted this kind of reaction.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Saw a news clip at the gym today that companies are stopping contributions from the NRA. The companies included United, another airline, and Hertz renta a car.

WTF would they get NRA money from in the first place?

It's a benefit thing. Kinda like AAA or AARP. Flash your NRA card and get a discount. They also have ties with credit cards. 

10 hours ago, LHalo said:

It's a benefit thing. Kinda like AAA or AARP. Flash your NRA card and get a discount. They also have ties with credit cards. 

at least one of the credit card companies is bailing out on the NRA. there's also been a blurb about FedEx bailing out on them also.

I think as a country we need better parents. It is possible that the dual income lifestyle that started in the late 70's and now is firmly rooted as the only possible survival mechanism for people to afford having children has left the parenting process behind, expecting children to somehow create their own set of ethics and morals when left to fend for themselves with a microwave, television, video games and social media as their guardians and then we blame guns. 

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

I think as a country we need better parents. It is possible that the dual income lifestyle that started in the late 70's and now is firmly rooted as the only possible survival mechanism for people to afford having children has left the parenting process behind, expecting children to somehow create their own set of ethics and morals when left to fend for themselves with a microwave, television, video games and social media as their guardians and then we blame guns. 

absolutely agree. 

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

Excellent post, and spot on IMO. This situation also leads to substance abuse through experimentation with drugs and alcohol. Children are essentially left to raise themselves, and they don't have the intellectual or emotional maturity to make sound decisions. Peer pressure becomes a bigger influence than parenting, which isn't a great situation.

This used to be the problem for low income people that the kids missed out on parenting because single Mom has to work two shifts.

Now it's the middle and upper middle class buying in over their heads and not having the ability to have one adult at home to see to the bulk of the parenting responsibilities.