• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia said Tuesday that he plans to employ a six-man rotation in 2018.

Chuck

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Um why?  

I don’t believe any ML pitcher wants to pitch just once a week. Using your most effective starters so sporadically is not a good practice IMHO. 

The standard for a ML starting pitcher is 32 starts and 200 innings. If a starting pitcher is not prepared to do that then they should transition themselves into the bullpen. 

Is this concept designed to save arms or save runs? 

I don’t think spacing the pitchers out in a six man rotation will make any difference in terms of injuries. In 2016 Richards lasted only 6 games with 34.2 innings pitched. He came back in 2017 and pitched one game in April and was injured again. In 2016 Heaney lasted 1 game 6 innings. 

12 pitchers did that last year. So I guess we will need the rest of the starters to transition into the bullpen, considering we will now be going with a .4 man rotation based on “The Claude Standard”.  The difference between a five man rotation and six is about a start a month. 

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The difference between a five man rotation and six is about a start a month. 

Yep so why do we need to do this? We have pitchers that have been injured in their first month of the season so this six man rotation gimmick will not avoid injuries. 

I’m not a fan of this at all. You get your best 5 out there and adjust as needed with a 5 - man rotation.  

Talked to Eppler about this again today....

Sounds unlikely they use a “pure” 6-Man rotation as in....

sounds more like....

12345162341562341523145231456.... etc. And obviously there will be 7’s and 8’s in there too. 

I think the best way to describe it is: The Angels are going to give their starters an extra day of rest more often than is standard. And to do that they will sometimes have six different starters in a six-game stretch.

You won’t really be able to call it anything. It’s just going to be evolving week to week all year.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Talked to Eppler about this again today....

Sounds unlikely they use a “pure” 6-Man rotation as in....

sounds more like....

12345162341562341523145231456.... etc. And obviously there will be 7’s and 8’s in there too. 

I think the best way to describe it is: The Angels are going to give their starters an extra day of rest more often than is standard. And to do that they will sometimes have six different starters in a six-game stretch.

You won’t really be able to call it anything. It’s just going to be evolving week to week all year.

Madness, shear madness I tell you!

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

Yeah, it's not like they are proposing a designated hitter for the pitcher. Thst would go against tradition. 

Yep, that was likely the backlash when teams went from 4 man to 5 man rotations.   That turned out alright.

Heck, there was outcry when the first street lights went up, and the dangers of them.

Tradition is great, and progress is great too.

Man. I'm real excited about how good our rotation could be if our guys stay healthy and pitch to their ability.

I sometimes forget how damn good Matt Shoemaker has been for a couple of his seasons. That 20 game 2016 stretch of 2.83 ERA ball with 120 k's in 130 innings and only 17 walks was filthy. Almost identical to his numbers as a SP in 2014 too - 20 GS, 2.89 ERA, 120 innings, 100 k's, 20 walks.

If even-year Matt shows up again in 2018 things could get crazy. 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Man. I'm real excited about how good our rotation could be if our guys stay healthy and pitch to their ability.

I sometimes forget how damn good Matt Shoemaker has been for a couple of his seasons. That 20 game 2016 stretch of 2.83 ERA ball with 120 k's in 130 innings and only 17 walks was filthy. Almost identical to his numbers as a SP in 2014 too - 20 GS, 2.89 ERA, 120 innings, 100 k's, 20 walks.

If even-year Matt shows up again in 2018 things could get crazy. 

Hopefully he didnt lose a ton of weight like he does every winter and takes until midseason to get UP to shape.

On 2/14/2018 at 10:27 PM, OHTANILAND said:

Yep so why do we need to do this? We have pitchers that have been injured in their first month of the season so this six man rotation gimmick will not avoid injuries. 

I’m not a fan of this at all. You get your best 5 out there and adjust as needed with a 5 - man rotation.  

You can't go from 40 innings to 200 in a year. I suppose you could attempt it, but you are tempting fate. I'm not sure why you want to push fragile pitchers that far beyond what they have done in recent years.

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

You can't go from 40 innings to 200 in a year. I suppose you could attempt it, but you are tempting fate. I'm not sure why you want to push fragile pitchers that far beyond what they have done in recent years.

Let’s try getting some of these fragile pitchers to man up. We keep talking about the Trout window. It’s time for these pitchers to just go for it. If they get hurt again cut bait. 

7 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Let’s try getting some of these fragile pitchers to man up. We keep talking about the Trout window. It’s time for these pitchers to just go for it. If they get hurt again cut bait. 

LOL. This is one of the dumbest things you have ever posted... Ya, Richards should just 'man up' and keep throwing. Eff this 6 man rotation bull shit, he should be starting every day! Pussy!

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

LOL. This is one of the dumbest things you have ever posted... Ya, Richards should just 'man up' and keep throwing. Eff this 6 man rotation bull shit, he should be starting every da!, Pussy!

Yea you must be new hear because this is barely his top ten of stupid things he’s said this month.