• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mike Scioscia said Tuesday that he plans to employ a six-man rotation in 2018.

Chuck

This six man rotation thing is gaining steam.  The Dodgers kind of did it last year and were able to get a lot out of their gimpy rotation.  This year the Angels are talking about it, Seattle is talking about using it.  Texas is too.    If the Angels guys all stay healthy and you see people like Tyler Skaggs who has always had the stuff but never put it together for a full season finally DOES put it together..  my guess is you'll see even more teams consider doing it.    

As Doc has pointed out a great deal lately, there are a lot of guys out there that can deal the first two times through the lineup before wilting -- a 6 man rotation makes it more likely teams will see value in those types and pursue them.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Anyone know where to find a Pujols spray chart on home run distance?

My eyeball was telling me last year that more and more of his homers are barely creeping over.

https://www.fangraphs.com/spraycharts.aspx?playerid=1177&position=1B&type=battedball   You can play with it and find the type of outcomes you want.

9 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

They are meaning health wise.  Bridwell had/has no health issues.

No health issues but should still be cautious as he transitions to SP. it won't happen to everyone as they switch roles but if could have played a role in Ramirez' injury.

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Always in the clean up spot is the new always batting third.  There was even a rumor on here that batting third was written into his contract, that is how ridiculous fans can be.  

Well, he can't bat third anymore because of Upton. But Scioscia is as stubborn as can be in regards to Albert. You'll never see him hitting 5th or lower (where he should be) as long as Mike is here.

I'll be happy to eat crow if that changes.

4 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Well, he can't bat third anymore because of Upton. But Scioscia is as stubborn as can be in regards to Albert. You'll never see him hitting 5th or lower (where he should be) as long as Mike is here.

I'll be happy to eat crow if that changes.

Remember when you said he’d never bat lower than third as long as Scioscia was the manager?

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

This six man rotation thing is gaining steam.  The Dodgers kind of did it last year and were able to get a lot out of their gimpy rotation.  This year the Angels are talking about it, Seattle is talking about using it.  Texas is too.    If the Angels guys all stay healthy and you see people like Tyler Skaggs who has always had the stuff but never put it together for a full season finally DOES put it together..  my guess is you'll see even more teams consider doing it.    

As Doc has pointed out a great deal lately, there are a lot of guys out there that can deal the first two times through the lineup before wilting -- a 6 man rotation makes it more likely teams will see value in those types and pursue them.

But this keeps ignoring an obvious point.  Having a six man rotation that only gets through 5 innings is a nightmare for the bullpen.

One extra starter is one fewer reliever in the pen, and now that pen often has to pitch an extra inning than normal down one man?

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

But this keeps ignoring an obvious point.  Having a six man rotation that only gets through 5 innings is a nightmare for the bullpen.

One extra starter is one fewer reliever in the pen, and now that pen often has to pitch an extra inning than normal down one man?

You seem to be ignoring a lot of things yourself.

Its sort of silly to assume that moving to a 6 man rotation means everyone is suddenly a 5 inning pitcher.  They aren't going to take a guy that has already been pitching into the 7th inning and say -- "sorry pal, you gotta sit now because 6 man rotation".   The reasoning behind my comment is to point out that teams can find some value in a 5 inning guy that might otherwise not be used or would break down.   It also depends on how they use the 6th man.   The Dodgers ran a 6 man rotation through 5 spots using the 10 man DL and occasionally using them out of the pen.   The advent of the 10 man DL as it exists now allows for some gaming of the roster and the Dodgers used it to great effect.   It's not the Angels' addition of Ohtani that has Seattle and Texas talking about a 6 man rotation -- it's how the Dodgers did it last year.

The other obvious point.  They can just as easily choose to carry one less position player instead of a RP..   

We have no idea how the Angels intend to employ their 6 man as of yet -- so any rigid positions on whether or not it will work or what impact it will have on the pen are premature.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

No health issues but should still be cautious as he transitions to SP. it won't happen to everyone as they switch roles but if could have played a role in Ramirez' injury.

Which is another reason I think the six man rotation is such a good idea.  Less innings and more rest for the rotation.  It is an idea that makes a ton of sense to me.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You seem to be ignoring a lot of things yourself.

Its sort of silly to assume that moving to a 6 man rotation means everyone is suddenly a 5 inning pitcher.  They aren't going to take a guy that has already been pitching into the 7th inning and say -- "sorry pal, you gotta sit now because 6 man rotation".   The reasoning behind my comment is to point out that teams can find some value in a 5 inning guy that might otherwise not be used or would break down.   It also depends on how they use the 6th man.   The Dodgers ran a 6 man rotation through 5 spots using the 10 man DL and occasionally using them out of the pen.   The advent of the 10 man DL as it exists now allows for some gaming of the roster and the Dodgers used it to great effect.   It's not the Angels' addition of Ohtani that has Seattle and Texas talking about a 6 man rotation -- it's how the Dodgers did it last year.

The other obvious point.  They can just as easily choose to carry one less position player instead of a RP..   

We have no idea how the Angels intend to employ their 6 man as of yet -- so any rigid positions on whether or not it will work or what impact it will have on the pen are premature.

Youbare getting into the speculative weeds and not getting my main point.

I don't assume all will only go 5.  Let's assume none do.  You still have one fewer arm in the bullpen unless you are carrying an extra pitcher.

Yes we have to see what they do, andnthen we will know.

Also (and if I am reading your point wrong then just correct me), but a team running six different pitchers through 5 rotation spots, to me anyway, is not a 6 man rotation.

My best guess, still, is that whatever they do it will be more like a five man rotation with some swingman picking up some spot starts, or a couple different guys rotating in and put of the 5th spot. . . And not the whole rotation rotatingvthrpugh six spots.

But we will see and I may be wrong.

I kind of feel like if a guy can't go every five days maybe he shouldn't be pitching until he can.  The goal in my mind is I want a healthy Richards taking the ball every fifth day instead of six because I dont want 4 of his starts going to Tropeano, an inferior pitcher. . .

But all this has been already put out there.

Let's we what they do.

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

My best guess is that they’ll start the season with a 6-man rotation and finish with a 5-man rotation competing for a playoff spot. 

I think the six man rotation lasts all season, keeps pitchers healthy and you start seeing more teams do it in the future.

18 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Its sort of silly to assume that moving to a 6 man rotation means everyone is suddenly a 5 inning pitcher.  They aren't going to take a guy that has already been pitching into the 7th inning and say -- "sorry pal, you gotta sit now because 6 man rotation". 

I realize at this point, it is all opinions, but I think with a six man rotation, if pitchers are pitching well, you'll see them go into the 7th inning more often.  With the extra day of rest, their arms should hold up better over the season.

I said it before in this thread, but if this rotation succeeds for the Angels this year, you will see more teams doing it in the future.  It can prolong careers.

27 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I realize at this point, it is all opinions, but I think with a six man rotation, if pitchers are pitching well, you'll see them go into the 7th inning more often.  With the extra day of rest, their arms should hold up better over the season.

I said it before in this thread, but if this rotation succeeds for the Angels this year, you will see more teams doing it in the future.  It can prolong careers.

There are plenty of professionals that think pitch count on a particular day is of far more concern than one extra day of rest between starts.