• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Eppler and Scioscia

Stradling

Eppler and Scioscia  

34 members have voted

1. 1. If Eppler (not Arte) decided to give Scioscia an extension after this season, would you.....

• think more of Scioscia
    • think less of Eppler

If they get to the ALCS, I could see a 2-year deal, nothing more.   Would take him to 21 seasons, and likely not only 5th on the all time list of games managed with one team, but also likely 5th on the all time list of games won with one team (Mack, McGraw, Cox, and Alston).

Scioscia does seem to work with Eppler a lot better, than with Dipussy.   Eppler believes in modern stats analysis, but doesn't seem to be egotistical about it like Dipussy seemed to be. 

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

Interesting thought ... but no

I have faith in Eppler based on the fact that he's make chicken soup out of chicken shit given his limited resources. On the other hand Scioscia has been given an ample amount of time, injuries or not to get it done and he hasn't taken us to where we need to go. It is the exact argument that is made about Pujols "Pujols drove in 100 runs last year, but given the opportunities he had he should have been able to produce more" Same goes for Scioscia in my opinion. While its not his fault players get injured he still has had enough opportunities to prove himself to be better than the outcomes he has produced.

I think we see a fresh face next year and Girardi is sitting on the sidelines waiting for the right opportunity.

Not to be difficult but neither ... my opinion of each of them is independent of each other.   Eppler extending MS would indicate he believes he's still the man to lead this team, but it wouldn't make me think he's any better or worse a manager.  MS has his strengths and weaknesses, Eppler believing in him wouldn't change those, although I'd argue he's had the greatest impact on improving what most believed to be MS' perceived weaknesses.    

BTW -- I always get such a kick out of people that talk about wanting a more saber inclined manager...  For all the blathering about how they are ahead of the curve and smarter... those guys are more prone to go by whatever the data says to do -just like an old school guy going by "the book" -- a criticism often hurled at MS..  The saber types are all about trusting the process - and the process tends to be predetermined on a spreadsheet.   

It's funny because the more the game becomes about analytics, the more a manager's worth will be in how well he keeps the guys in the clubhouse in the right frame of mind and on an even keel...   If you need an example of this..  the NY Yankees hire of Boone is a prime example.  Girardi was rumored to be losing the clubhouse, Boone is said to be a guy everyone likes.   The Yankees hired a likeable dude they hope will follow whatever script they give him.   

38 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Not to be difficult but neither ... my opinion of each of them is independent of each other.   Eppler extending MS would indicate he believes he's still the man to lead this team, but it wouldn't make me think he's any better or worse a manager.  MS has his strengths and weaknesses, Eppler believing in him wouldn't change those, although I'd argue he's had the greatest impact on improving what most believed to be MS' perceived weaknesses.    

BTW -- I always get such a kick out of people that talk about wanting a more saber inclined manager...  For all the blathering about how they are ahead of the curve and smarter... those guys are more prone to go by whatever the data says to do -just like an old school guy going by "the book" -- a criticism often hurled at MS..  The saber types are all about trusting the process - and the process tends to be predetermined on a spreadsheet.   

It's funny because the more the game becomes about analytics, the more a manager's worth will be in how well he keeps the guys in the clubhouse in the right frame of mind and on an even keel...   If you need an example of this..  the NY Yankees hire of Boone is a prime example.  Girardi was rumored to be losing the clubhouse, Boone is said to be a guy everyone likes.   The Yankees hired a likeable dude they hope will follow whatever script they give him.   

Which is ironic itself because Mike Scioscia's strongest skill is his clubhouse management.

I do believe Scioscia had too much of a say in team building during the Reagins regime. But I also believe he and Dipoto clashed, and both were at fault. Scioscia isn't an arrogant blowhard though. HE can get along with many different personalities. Eppler is smart, and an easy guy to get along with.

He and Scioscia could do this together for another decade if Scioscia continues to coach that long.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Could be about analytics but it could also be the time honored habit (colleges and pros included) of hiring an opposite in a new coach/manager.....you have a hard ass (maybe Girardi) who rubs folks the wrong way and you replace him with a "players coach", and vice versa....in college, you replace a guy whose rep is as a great recruiter with a guy who is an x's and o's guy or a guy who can "coach 'em up"....I wonder if Girardi originally got the Yanks job because Torre was seen as too much of a "players manager"?  That would kind of be full circle...

And by the way, I agree that extending Scioscia (or not) is not a litmus test for whether I like Eppler more or Scioscia more....lots of layers to that decision...

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

And Sosh has become a much more saber inclined manager himself.  For example, the way he manages the bullpen now is very different than how he used to and it is heavily saber inclined.  He has also gotten into the shift more and more than before.

I agree with most people here.  I think if the Angels make the playoffs, they keep Sosh, if they falter without injuries being a factory, then we start over with a new manager. I like Sosh, but sometimes the voice and presence wears thin and new voice is needed. I have seen it in the company I work for, so all is good.