• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

If you had a do-over....

DMVol

I will go out on a limb and say that Cozart will have twice the WAR this year than Moustakas and that Kinsler will have a better WAR than any of the free agent 2nd baseman.  Now it is totally possible that a lot of that WAR will be on the defensive side so some people will think they are busts or overrated.  

16 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I will go out on a limb and say that Cozart will have twice the WAR this year than Moustakas and that Kinsler will have a better WAR than any of the free agent 2nd baseman.  Now it is totally possible that a lot of that WAR will be on the defensive side so some people will think they are busts or overrated.  

Frazier at third and Cozart at second would’ve been interesting. 

Persoanally, i would have liked adding moustakas....but likely would have not liied it once the actual games started being played.

I like the lefty bat, i like that hes a power hitter (which i think this team still needs to add, depending on how certain things play out). But as has been mentioned on here, the end result of his bat leaving KC, not in a walk year, etc, made me not care about missing out on him.

Being that the outfield is set in the near term, and at least realistic hope that it will be covered in a few years by the minors, i hope we have a plan to long term fix 3B in the next offseason. I know we grabbed maitan for that, and hope he works out, but hes still way, wayyy down the road in a best case scenario.

17 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

or left enough comfortable space for another SP. 

There is room for a starter.  They have $25 million to spend under the threshold.   They are choosing flexibility at the deadline over picking up a starter now.  Plus the offseason isn’t over, I wouldn’t be surprised if we sign a starter still.  

Edited by Stradling

If the market had been obvious when Eppler made his moves, perhaps he would have chosen differently.  But maybe not.  Not only has Eppler had an excelllent offseason but he has somehow made the Angels a hugely attractive destination for FA’s next year and into the future.  Cozart at 3/39 was a fair deal, actually club friendly to me.  Upton’s Extension was fair.  Kinsler came to the Angels suddenly, but why? In part because Upton put in a good word, plus Kinsler probably had a handful of teams he wanted to play for, and likely the Angels were high on the list.  Otahni, the big O, chose the Angels.  This is not coincidence- with Eppler running things the Angels are on the way up and a very attractive destination.  Sosh also is a player’s manager and I imagine is hugely respected by the men playing the game.

9 hours ago, eaterfan said:

I can't believe people are this down on Kinsler and so high on Mous. Did Kinsler have a down year last year, yes. He still put up a higher WAR than Moustakas! Over the last 3 seasons Kinsler has put up 14.2 WAR. Moustakas put up 11.4.... in his whole career. In 4 of the last 5 seasons Kinsler has put up WAR totals at least half a win higher than Moustakas's career best.

Well there are other reasons people don't like Kinsler.  

I think Cozart is a great fit and I would do that one again.  I like that move a lot more then Moustakas.  Kinsler is the one I wish we could have gone in a different direction with. But we’ll see.  Hopefully he works out.  Presumably will be an upgrade over what we’ve had.  The bright side with that move is that next year we can hopefully bring in LeMaheiu.  That guy is #1 on my realistic wishlist for next winter. 

On 2/6/2018 at 8:27 AM, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

He wasn't signed to 2B, Eppler asked him if he would consider playing 2B, and then Kinsler deal fell into Eppler's lab and he asked Cozart to play 3B instead, he said yes and signed to play 3B instead.

That's sort of true, but also not true.

He supposedly was on his way to take his physical, when Eppler called him about the position switch, so they had agreed to contract terms, with the intention of him playing 2B. We just hadn't heard it yet.

He technically hadn't signed, as they don't finalize the contract until after the physical. I doubt though that you take a physical for a team you haven't agreed on money with yet.

This guy has been the best defensive shortstop in baseball besides Simmons over the last few years, the two of them will be like a black hole on the left side of the infield. Nothing is getting through.

So I like him at 3B, but if he was signed for 2B, and they had gone after Todd Frazier or Moustakas at 3rd, I wouldn't have complained about that. I like a lefty hitting in the MOTO, and we've had left handed hitters hit for Power in Anaheim (Edmonds, Anderson). Moose had limited success in Anaheim in 2015, but the sample size is too small to make a conclusion.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

That's sort of true, but also not true.

He supposedly was on his way to take his physical, when Eppler called him about the position switch, so they had agreed to contract terms, with the intention of him playing 2B. We just hadn't heard it yet.

He technically hadn't signed, as they don't finalize the contract until after the physical. I doubt though that you take a physical for a team you haven't agreed on money with yet.

This guy has been the best defensive shortstop in baseball besides Simmons over the last few years, the two of them will be like a black hole on the left side of the infield. Nothing is getting through.

So I like him at 3B, but if he was signed for 2B, and they had gone after Todd Frazier or Moustakas at 3rd, I wouldn't have complained about that. I like a lefty hitting in the MOTO, and we've had left handed hitters hit for Power in Anaheim (Edmonds, Anderson). Moose had limited success in Anaheim in 2015, but the sample size is too small to make a conclusion.

Frazier and Cozart would’ve be better. Not really a fan of ex-Ranger Kinsler. 

16 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Because of his personality or because of his skill?

Frazier is a very skilled and experienced 3B with a great attitude. Cozart is much younger than Kinsler, can play 2B, SS, 3B and could work out to be a keeper long term. Kinsler is a 35 year old one year rental and only a 2B. He will not be part of any future championship run.