• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Chase Headley

Dtwncbad

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Can  you?  Dont recall Valbuena being able to play the OF? 
Besides thats just one of the benefits/improvements. 
There is almost no way he doesnt make us better than we are gith now, you want to argue how much, fine, but you cant argue Vableuna would put up the same numbers anywhere other than home runs, which i concede he probably would, at a cost of 75 or more points of average and near 100 in OBP.  
Again its not a huge upgrade, but it is an upgrade. 

Read this thread again Flop.  Check out the OPS+.  Also when was the last time Headley played the outfield, 2009.  So if you are going to give him credit for being an outfielder, then Valbuena gets credit for being a 2nd baseman, a short stop and a left-fielder, since he has played all of those positions since the last time Headley played outfield.  Now as it relates to OBP, their career OBP is about 30 point difference, not 75 or a 100.  Once again, I am not arguing that Valbuena is great, but Headley isn't as good as you are making him out to be.  

So yes, you can get the exact same roster flexibility by simply trading Cron and keeping Valbuena.  

Sort of a similar scenario, what about signing LoMo, Nunez, or Walker instead of trading for Headley to replace Cron's spot on the roster? 

They'd be imperfect fits for '18 but if signed to a 2-yr a couple of them could serve as a Kinsler replacement next year and provide depth and insurance this season. All are at a point in their careers where winning may mean more than an everyday job.

Walker can spot ya at 2B, 3B, and 1B, LoMo at 1B and occasional COF, and Nunez on the IF and possibly all over the OF.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Sort of a similar scenario, what about signing LoMo, Nunez, or Walker instead of trading for Headley to replace Cron's spot on the roster? 

They'd be imperfect fits for '18 but if signed to a 2-yr a couple of them could serve as a Kinsler replacement next year and provide depth and insurance this season. All are at a point in their careers where winning may mean more than an everyday job.

Walker can spot ya at 2B, 3B, and 1B, LoMo at 1B and occasional COF, and Nunez on the IF and possibly all over the OF.

Walker, Nunez are both significantly better gets than Chase Headley..    

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Walker, Nunez are both significantly better gets than Chase Headley..    

I think the only plus Headley had was he'd perhaps be a little cheaper in salary and terms to acquire. Seeing Frazier (who I also thought made sense in same regards) go for only $17m has me thinking otherwise.

Also, @Stradling,  I saw a few mentions that Headley hadn't played OF since '09, but I think I read the Yankees had discussed using him in corner outfield and occasionally at 2B at times last year so there was some potential for him to add some versatility into his repertoire.

47 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think the only plus Headley had was he'd perhaps be a little cheaper in salary and terms to acquire. Seeing Frazier (who I also thought made sense in same regards) go for only $17m has me thinking otherwise.

Also, @Stradling,  I saw a few mentions that Headley hadn't played OF since '09, but I think I read the Yankees had discussed using him in corner outfield and occasionally at 2B at times last year so there was some potential for him to add some versatility into his repertoire.

They may have discussed it, but according to BR he hasn’t played the outfield since 2009.  now I don’t watch a ton of Yankee games so it is possible that BR is wrong and he played some out there last year, but it would be strange that BR missed it. 

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

Read this thread again Flop.  Check out the OPS+.  Also when was the last time Headley played the outfield, 2009.  So if you are going to give him credit for being an outfielder, then Valbuena gets credit for being a 2nd baseman, a short stop and a left-fielder, since he has played all of those positions since the last time Headley played outfield.  Now as it relates to OBP, their career OBP is about 30 point difference, not 75 or a 100.  Once again, I am not arguing that Valbuena is great, but Headley isn't as good as you are making him out to be.  

So yes, you can get the exact same roster flexibility by simply trading Cron and keeping Valbuena.  

Im not making Headley out to be great, just an improvement in an area this club needs badly, LH and OBP.  Its really that simple.    Factor in the flexibility he gives and its a good fit IMO.  Its not sexy, its not earth shattering, but it fits. 

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They may have discussed it, but according to BR he hasn’t played the outfield since 2009.  now I don’t watch a ton of Yankee games so it is possible that BR is wrong and he played some out there last year, but it would be strange that BR missed it. 

No, he didn't play any last year, but when he was slumping hard and brought Frazier in (and then started rebounding) they were trying to find ways to get him in the lineup and playing some OF and 2B came up.

So yeah, he technically hasn't played OF in a MLB game, but it isn't completely unrealistic that he could play at least LF on a back-up basis in '19. 

2B and RF may be more of a stretch, especially in a field as larger as Angel Stadium (compared to NYY) and with a team that places such emphasis on defense, but if Headley's staying in shape and athletic enough, even if it's just emergency option, it could be valuable.

Ohtani's versatility as a PH could make for some very interesting defensive configurations in extra-inning games or late-inning defensive replacements.

16 hours ago, Stradling said:

You can get the exact same roster flexibility by trading Cron and freeing up his spot.  

Your point is fair but not correct.

Ohtani pitching and Pujols at DH.  Angels facing a left hander.  With Cron gone they would have Valbuena starting at first against the left hander.

In that case, would you not prefer to have Headley starting at first instead of Valbuena?

How about in the 7th inning when a lefty gets brought in to face Valbuena?  Let him hit vs if you had Headley in that spot and he stays in the lineup. . .

You are correct that Cron really is the odd man out but Headley likely would be a better guy to take up a roster spot than Valbuena even with Cron out of the picture.

57 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Keep the roster as is currently, aside from needing one additional solid late innings guy. 

Sure.  It might all work.

I have to figure out how to deal with the fact that the Pujols/Cron/Valbuena combination is an irritant for me.

If Eppler can live with it, I guess I should be able to live with it.

I'm not there yet.

Can anyone explain to me how the roughly 1300 plate appearances for DH and 1B combined will be distributed sensibly?

My guess is you assume:

575 plate appearances for Pujols

350 plate appearances for Ohtani

But that leaves just 375 plate appearances to be split between Cron and Valbuena??

I am just not seeing how this is going to work.

Unless this means 300 plate appearances for Cron and Valbuena is basically a pinch hitter?

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Sure.  It might all work.

I have to figure out how to deal with the fact that the Pujols/Cron/Valbuena combination is an irritant for me.

If Eppler can live with it, I guess I should be able to live with it.

I'm not there yet.

Just apply this on the irritated area and get ready for spring training.

preparation_h_maximum_strength_pain_reli

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Can anyone explain to me how the roughly 1300 plate appearances for DH and 1B combined will be distributed sensibly?

My guess is you assume:

But that leaves just 375 plate appearances to be split between Cron and Valbuena??

Unless this means 300 plate appearances for Cron and Valbuena is basically a pinch hitter?

I think Cron is moved. But, I think it all depends on how the players perform.

11 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

My guess is you assume:

you have to remember that last year Pennington got 217, Marte 145, and Cowart 117.  Now, Cliffy  played 47 games at 2b, but Simmons, Cozart and Kinsler aren't going to play 162 games.

Cozart is the primary backup to Simmons and likely for Kinsler as well.  Valbuena will play when Cozart is shifted across the infield.  Which means Cron will play as well.  Cowart is likely going to be the util guy and get about 150-200 PA.  As he's the only OF backup right now.  

9 position players include Maldo, Pujols, Ohtani, Kinsler, Simmons, Cozart, Calhoun, Trout, Upton

SP - Richards, Skaggs, Heaney, Shoe, Ramirez/Bridwell

RP - Bedrosian, Middleton, Parker, Johnson, Wood, Alvarez/Krol,, Bard

Bench - Cron, Rivera, Valbuena, Cowart

That leaves one of Bridwell/Ramirez, Paredes, Noe Ramirez, Felix Pena, Fontana, EY jr, Liriano, Trop, Scribner, Lamb, Campos, Dayan Diaz, and Brandon Pinder in the minors.  

That's assuming complete and total health.  But we now that never happens.  

On avg, there are two full players worth of at bats coming off the bench even if most stay healthy.  You already know that if your DH is Ohtani, that's 400+ PA not going to him.  Albert in you 1bman so there's another 100+.  Then add another 500 for time off and injury. Rivera will split time with Maldo so that's Valbuena, Cron and Cowart getting at least 300 ab between them.