• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Chase Headley

Dtwncbad

22 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The Angels could get rid of both Valbuena and Cron if the could get Headley.

Even if you are a believer in Cron and want to keep him, Headley would be a smart replacement for Valbuana.

I don't get the fascination with Headley.   The ability to switch hit?

Dude posted a 100 OPS+ last year and his road SLG% was .376 -- the year before it was .362, the year before that it was .372....  The only time in the last three years he's posted a bWAR better than 1.8. it was thanks to a great defensive season at 3B  -- He wouldn't be manning 3B in Anaheim unless something bad happened.   Move him across the diamond and it may improve the team defense but other than some solid OBP, the offense likely gets worse.  Not sure he improves the defense enough to make it worthwhile -- and Im a huge fan of run prevention.

Cron isn't much but he's been good for an OPS+ of 108 for his career -- during that time Headley's come in at 95.  Valbuena... 110.   

So how does getting rid of two guys to get a back up 3B help this team?   

Chase Headley is entering his age 34 season and has had ops+ of 102, 90, 91, and 100 the last four years.  for a total of 95.  He had -7 defensive runs saved at 3b last year in 86 games.  He's set to make 13 mil

Valbuena is entering his age 32 season and has had and ops+ of 115, 106, 125, and 95 the last four years, for a total of 110.  He had -3 defensive runs saved between 1b/3b in 107 games last year. He's set to make 8 mil this year.  

Explain to me how he's a smart replacement for Valbuena.  

I'd like his as a Cron replacement simply because of the versatility and cheap cost to get him. Gives you some insurance at 1B, 3B, LF, RF, can maybe spell you at 2B in a pinch. And yes, he can switch-hit and is decent from both sides. Not much power, especially away from Yankee Stadium, but good discipline and contact still.

Still, I'd want to see Cron land us a decent reliever or 4th OF though for it to feel worth it.

Valbuana and Cron are marginal players.  Headley is a marginal player.

The only point I am making is Headley plays first and third.  He switch hits.  His on base is acceptable.  And he runs better that Valbuana and Cron.

He arguable provides the Angels roster in one person what the Angels would get from two bodies.

Valbuena has more power but he doesnt bring as much overall value as Headley. . .

No I am not saying Headley is a great player.

Now, add the value of whatever you get with having another roster spot.

32 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Dude posted a 100 OPS+ last year and his road SLG% was .376 -- the year before it was .362, the year before that it was .372....  The only time in the last three years he's posted a bWAR better than 1.8. it was thanks to a great defensive season at 3B  -- He wouldn't be manning 3B in Anaheim unless something bad happened.   Move him across the diamond and it may improve the team defense but other than some solid OBP, the offense likely gets worse.  Not sure he improves the defense enough to make it worthwhile -- and Im a huge fan of run prevention.

Cron isn't much but he's been good for an OPS+ of 108 for his career -- during that time Headley's come in at 95.  Valbuena... 110.   

29 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Chase Headley is entering his age 34 season and has had ops+ of 102, 90, 91, and 100 the last four years.  for a total of 95.  He had -7 defensive runs saved at 3b last year in 86 games.  He's set to make 13 mil

Valbuena is entering his age 32 season and has had and ops+ of 115, 106, 125, and 95 the last four years, for a total of 110.  He had -3 defensive runs saved between 1b/3b in 107 games last year. He's set to make 8 mil this year.  

Explain to me how he's a smart replacement for Valbuena.  

I agree with both of these post. Headley is on the sunset side of his career and we need to keep getting younger and to consider Headley as an upgrade is iffy.  

12 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Nobody cares about Chase Headley. Stop bringing him up.

I wouldn't have to consider things like Headley  (saving you from your annoyance) if the Angels were not stuck with Pujols.  Don't blame me for that.

Pujols isn't going anywhere.

Pujols now has to play some first (because Ohtani is here).

That means fewer at bats for another full time player at first, making Cron less relevant.  Cron has no other value except playing first.

Angels need somebody to back up third so they have to keep Valbuena but there won't be much playing time for him.

So now you are forced to have two players taking up roster spot to handle basically one job (backup 1B/3B).

Is it really that annoying to think about a realistic way to not waste as many roster spots on what is really one job?

So, so sorry to discuss in January a roster strategy subject.

Chase Headley would have had the 4th best position player WAR on the Angels, behind Trout, Simmons, and a touch behind Kole.

His 1.8 WAR was more than Escobar, Cron, Valbuena, and Cowart - combined. I left out Albert too.

But yeah, fuck 'em.

I think Todd Frazier would fill a similar role but without hitting from the left-side and more power instead of contact.

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

stuck with Pujols.  Don't blame me for that.

Pujols isn't going anywhere.

Pujols now has to play some first (because Ohtani is here).

But it’s only for FOUR more years. I’m sure Ohtani won’t mind riding the pine with his youth, speed, athleticism and his desire to be the best player in the world. 

15 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Chase Headley would have had the 4th best position player WAR on the Angels, behind Trout, Simmons, and a touch behind Kole.

His 1.8 WAR was more than Escobar, Cron, Valbuena, and Cowart - combined.

But yeah, fuck 'em.

That's more an indictment of the 2017 Angels offense than any real validation of Chase Headley isn't it?

Steamer is projecting Headley for 1.0 fWAR and  WRc of 90

That 1.0 would rank 8th behind in 2018 behind the projections for Trout, Simmons, Cozart, Calhoun, Kinsler, Upton, and Maldonado,... just ahead of Cron who they project for 0.8 WAR in under 400 plate apperances.  Move Headley over to first and his projection likely goes south, because his subpar offense doesn't play as well at 1B as it does at 3B for WAR formulas.

Headley is a square peg being forced into a round hole at a position where there are already too many odd fitting pegs.

58 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Headley is a square peg being forced into a round hole at a position where there are already too many odd fitting pegs.

We still need a back-up OF...Headley can't cover CF obviously, but he can cover the corners. 
We likely have some ABs at 1B and 3B...Marte won't be around much longer so we are a little thin on corner-infield depth. 

In place of Cron, I think he fits. In place or Valbuena or in addition to both? Not at all.

And yeah, sure I'm not surprised projections has him coming out below those players, but I bet it wasn't too different last year. Things don't always go to plan. He'd be another layer of depth at multiple positions and likely at a low cost. If Cozart blows out a knee and Valbuena can't hit above .200 again, I don't know id I'd be thrilled watching us roll out Colin Walsh and Kaleb Cowart in May for a stretch of time. He'd be solid vet depth, nothing more.

56 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

This and all those marketing reasons you talked about are why he chose to sign with the Yankees.

I was wrong about Ohtani’s chosen destination but was pleasantly surprised by his decision. I attended the pressor and did speak to some of the Japanese press people who shared the same concerns. There will be game days that Scioscia will have to decide who will have to sit, Pujols or Ohtani. 

51 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

I was wrong about Ohtani’s chosen destination but was pleasantly surprised by his decision. I attended the pressor and did speak to some of the Japanese press people who shared the same concerns. There will be game days that Scioscia will have to decide who will have to sit, Pujols or Ohtani. 

..... and Ohtani likely heard of Pujols, knows what position he plays and was aware of what the situation was..    Still he chose the Angels...   

That was my point...

FWIW -- I'm worried the Angels will play the lesser player because of the resume too.   But, I'm going to wait and see how things develop.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

..... and Ohtani likely heard of Pujols, knows what position he plays and was aware of what the situation was..    Still he chose the Angels...   

That was my point...

FWIW -- I'm worried the Angels will play the lesser player because of the resume too.   But, I'm going to wait and see how things develop.

Hopefully it all works itself out.

58 minutes ago, totdprods said:

We still need a back-up OF...Headley can't cover CF obviously, but he can cover the corners. 
We likely have some ABs at 1B and 3B...Marte won't be around much longer so we are a little thin on corner-infield depth. 

As I said -- square peg, round hole..

You're trying to create a layer of versatility where it doesn't exist.   Headley hasn't played the OF in ANY capacity since 2009 when he was 25.  It's 2018.  Do you really believe he's suddenly going to be a capable back up OFer 9 years later? 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and argue the team can find a better OF option for less than 13 mil a year, one that wont require the Angels give anyone up.

5 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Hopefully it all works itself out.

The 2016 version of AP you can live with for a couple years...  the 2017 version....  not so much.  I have no idea how this plays out, I think we all knew the end would be ugly -- dunno that anyone believed it might come as soon as it possibly has.   

Hope is all we got, mang!

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think the idea is we replace two mediocre players for one who can perform the same function as the other two but only take one roster spot, and then use the other roster spot for something more valuable like another bullpen arm or backup OF.  Which should more than make up the very tiny value that Cron or Valbuena have.

And I'm totally in agreement with it.

23 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

I think the idea is we replace two mediocre players for one who can perform the same function as the other two but only take one roster spot, and then use the other roster spot for something more valuable like another bullpen arm or backup OF.  Which should more than make up the very tiny value that Cron or Valbuena have.

And I'm totally in agreement with it.

I think IP's point is that Headly is likely to be the same or worse than Valbuena but Valbuena doesn't cost us anything more than what we've already had. If they both give you the same production then Valbuena makes a lot more sense for what the Angels likely need. Valbuena will likely be the superior offensive player while Headley will be the superior defensive player. The Angels need a 1B/DH. Headley loses all his defensive value playing DH and most of it playing 1B. His lower production with the bat is what is really counting. On the other hand, Valbuena's weak defense isn't hurting his value when he's DH and probably about average at 1B. 

I am using Valbuena instead of Cron because LV can play 3rd a day or two a week to give players a breather while Cron cannot. Headly would do the same, but I don't think the difference in value at 3B over 20 games a season makes up for the difference in the bat over 120. If the Angels were looking for a primary 3B who could move over to 1B in a pinch then Headly would be the superior option.