• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Vladimir Guerrero picks Angels cap for Hall of Fame

The Angels will finally be represented on a plaque in the Hall of Fame.

Vladimir Guerrero announced Thursday he has chosen to be depicted with an Angels cap on his Hall of Fame plaque.

Guerrero chose the Angels over the Montreal Expos — who have since become the Washington Nationals. Guerrero, who was elected to the Hall on Wednesday, spent the first eight seasons of his career with the Expos, followed by six with the Angels.

Although his numbers were slightly better, in quality and quantity, with the Expos, he won an MVP and went to the playoffs five times with the Angels.

The Angels, who played their first season in 1961, are baseball’s oldest franchise not be represented by a player in the Hall of Fame.

Other Hall of Famers who played significant stretches with the Angels — Nolan Ryan, Rod Carew — are shown on their Hall of Fame plaques wearing other caps.

The Hall of Fame curators maintain final approval over which cap a player wears, but they generally go with the player’s preference if it’s one of the logical choices.

More to come on this story.

View the full article

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

Question, has any team ever retired the same number twice?
I would think it appropriate to consider retiring it for Vlad, leave it active for Trout of course then hopefully ultimately retire it again for Trout?

yes

I think the Yankees have retired so many numbers they had to create a second category.

If it came down to statistics and the HOF decided I thought they would go with Montreal.  Awesome news to hear he wants to be depicted with an Angels cap on.  5 out of Vlad's 6 seasons here they went to the playoffs.  Makes me think about the saying 'you don't know what you got till it's gone.'  We were spoiled and it makes me appreciate his time here even more. 

4 hours ago, floplag said:

Question, has any team ever retired the same number twice?
I would think it appropriate to consider retiring it for Vlad, leave it active for Trout of course then hopefully ultimately retire it again for Trout?

I believe the Yankees have twice retired #1. Billy Martin and Bobby Richardson.