• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official Vladimir Guerrero - Hall of Fame thread

Chuck

Wouldn’t be prouder to have that man represent the Angels in the hall of fame.

Without a doubt the most natural talent I’ve ever seen on a baseball field. One of my top 3 favorite players and by far the most entertaining player I’ve ever watched. 

I remember Brett Boone once described him as a freak as far as his abilities on the field and there couldn’t have been a more accurate statement.  He truly was one of a kind. Congratulations Vladdy. Well deserved. 

MLB channel's HOF wrap up show sure showed a lot of VLAD in Expos uni during the show and when they showed the four players voted in -- showed VLAD in Expos hat and uni.

Most coverage seems to be leaning (not saying -- just showing mostly Vlad in Expos hat and uni) towards VLAD going in as a Montreal Expo.

Yes, I am a long time Halos fan;

Yes, I am biased towards the Halos

But , despite that, I really think VLAD should go in as the first one to wear an Angels cap in the HOF.

We got robbed when Nolan Ryan went in not wearing a Halos cap -- clearly Ryan's best years and stats were with the Halos.

Vlad spent one more year with the Expos than the Angels -- he was in his prime with the Halos and was a franchise player there.

I am not as confident as I was this past week (I really thought MLB would understand the importance of making Vlad the first one wearing a Halos cap in the HOF) after watching all this coverage of VLAD in a Montreal uni -- film that hasn't been shown much the past 15-20 years and even when he was playing in Montreal didn't get as much exposure as he deserved.

When he got to Anaheim, he certainly received additional coverage. He's a deserving of the HOF and his Halos hat would look just great there.

IMO it should be us. I know his numbers were slightly better in montreal, but aside from the hard core baseball nerds, nobody really knew him there. (Meaning people like us, who follow the whole league, prospects, front office moves, etc).

Here, he won his mvp, played against the yankees and boston in the playoffs. Made pepsi commercials with arod. Won the home run derby. Etc etc. I just feel like he became a far more recognized player here.

If things like rings, mvps, silver sluggers, cy young etc play a part in who gets in, i think its only natural that shouod also play a role on what team gets represented. 

VLAD IS "IN" and it's a great day for Halos fans -- no matter what cap he wears into the HOF (should be an Angels cap!!).

Not to belabor a point I once made frequently here (some time ago -- a Halos player I really liked for his consistency year after year until he got hurt) -- but to show how their stats compare and a guy who I felt was on his way to HOF numbers (before he got hurt and his trajectory fell off):

Career numbers:

VLAD GUERREO:  HITS: 2,590  2B: 477  HR 449  RBI 1496  SB 181  career BA: .318

Garret Anderson  HITS: 2,529  2B: 522  HR: 287  RBI: 1365 ; SB 80 career BA: .293

1 hour ago, OregonLAA said:

Was it 2005 where he completely carried this team to the playoffs?  I grew up watching Salmon but it’s hard to say who my favorite all time Angel is. Vlad was a freak. I’m happy for the guy

We booted guillen off the team after the sunday day game (anaheimbob). We went into the last week down by 3.5 games. Vlad went beast mode, had like 4 home runs that week i think. I remember curtis pride having a big game too, i think against texas, who we then passed to take the division. That was a crazy week.

People knocked vlad for not carrying us in the playoffs, but he got pitched around like crazy. Even when he would get base hits, people were pissed he didnt hit it out.

He had that huge game tying slam against boston in 04, too

9 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

It's a shame Vlad never got a chance to play in a World Series game.

Agreed. I think it was a huge mistake never getting him a second bat in his prime. We had the pitching, and a great pen. We just (almost) never matched up bat wise with boston and ny. Both were good, boston was beyond stacked back then.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

We booted guillen off the team after the sunday day game (anaheimbob). We went into the last week down by 3.5 games. Vlad went beast mode, had like 4 home runs that week i think. I remember curtis pride having a big game too, i think against texas, who we then passed to take the division. That was a crazy week.

People knocked vlad for not carrying us in the playoffs, but he got pitched around like crazy. Even when he would get base hits, people were pissed he didnt hit it out.

He had that huge game tying slam against boston in 04, too

Yeah Guillen for some reason was insulted Sosh pinch ran someone for him and threw a fit lol. But yeah I remember that road series against Texas that last week of the season in 04’. He was making the game look ridiculously easy peppering those left field stands with line drives in Arlington.

He even hit a huge two run dinger off a Zito curveball that put us up 2-0 against the A’s in the division clincher, game 161. That last week definitely locked up his MVP and was amazing to watch. 

16 hours ago, HaloCory22 said:

I've come to terms with him going in as an Expo. It makes sense. His seasons in Montreal destroyed anything he ever did with us.

Have you actually compared his Montreal stats with his angel stats.  I wouldn't use the term "destroyed".  Expo stats are marginally better than Angels.