• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What do you want to read about in spring training?

3 hours ago, Tank said:

i'm a golfer and i always find it interesting about what equipment the pros are using. i don't know how well that would translate to baseball, but i'm interested in something like how a player chooses his bats, their size, color, etc.

i'm also curious to hear what pitches pitchers are working on, how they strengthen their arms, their warm up procedures, etc.

does sosh plan to try anything new this year that he can talk about publicly? does he rely on the same strategies he's used in the past? how does he use stats in sizing up an opponent?

what do pitchers and catchers talk about in their pregame planning sessions?

how do hitters prepare to face certain pitchers?

To piggy back off of Tank's golf comment why don't you ask each player what their favorite computer/console game is that they like to play?

HALO? League of Legends? Mario Karts? Tetris? Solitaire? What?

Get their handle names too because if I play the same game as them I want to stalk them in-game :D

25-man Active Roster Player Support System Capsule/Thank You

For every active roster player, ask the player what his support system consisted of as a child through their teenage years and how they trained, etc. to get to the minor league draft. It will double as insight (tips and guides) for the next generation, as well THANK YOUs to those that helped them get to where they wanted to be... professional MLB players.

1 hour ago, Glen said:

Seriously though, how about a typical day in ST for a top prospect like Hermisillo? Morning until bed?

I'd love to see an in-depth article about the typical day for a major leaguer during the season.  when do they get up, eat, run errands, get to the ball park, what training & video etc do they do before the game.  what's the locker room like before and after the game, etc.  what do they do after the 7pm games, different for young guys vs veterans.  i remember a new yorker in-depth article about tiki barber that was pretty eye-opening in demonstrating the 24/7 prep he had to put in just to make it through a typical football week.

Ahhhh! Spring Training. A time when "Hope Springs Eternal", and a new season starts afresh.

We have discussed here on AW in several topics what we hope, or foresee, the various goals that different players may be able to achieve this year. So, if possible, see if you can get any players perspective on their various goals. Is Trout still contemplating a 40-40 season? What are Ohtani's expectations his 1st year in the MLB? I know all players have goals of some kind, just don't know if they are willing to share them publicly.

I would also be interested to know what former players stop by to visit during Spring Training, and what they are doing now. I know Salmon, Anderson, and Grich usually show up, but how about some of the really old-timers? Players from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. I have been following this Angel team since 1961 (and the old PCL Angels for many years before that), and I'v always wondered what happened to some of our former players.

Oh yea, be sure and tell us if anyone gets 'Punked' during Spring Training. Those are always great stories.

c'mon Jeff F. -- you and everyone know the story in ST -- and not just for the Halos -- is going to be Ohtani.

it's a huge international story and you are going to have a front row seat.

I am interested in how the arrival of Ohtani, if he is able to be healthy and start the season as a DH and as starting rotation  pitcher -- how this one start a week rotation concept works out and if it works out well, how it may change how teams look at their starting rotations -- perhaps expanding them to give certain rotation guys (5/6 in line) more rest.

How about asking some of the players their takes on other players around the league. I remember an article a while back asking players what they often talk about and who were good guys to talk to on 1st base. And, many players have talked about guys who are quite funny on the field, etc. How about asking a series about who are today's practical jokers, best stunts pulled, weird superstitions, etc. Who do our guys admire (maybe about being humanitarians, overcoming serious obstacles, etc. Who has weird/interesting hobbies, pets, etc? Basically things that help make them human.

Fitness and weight training are such a huge part of the game now. I’d be interested in reading about how a few players keep their fitness going in the off season and what training they do in preparation for the season, esp during spring training. Routines? Diet? Aerobic exercises? Personal trainers? 

8 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Another thing that would be fun, Jeff, if you are up for it is something like what Alden Gonzalez did in his quest for the perfect taco. You could pick something like that and add that to your writeups (quest for the perfect beer, perfect ice cream, etc.).

Arroz con Pollo

d7116ff2-1512-4139-9e7b-f6ebc793a98c.jpg

I would like to see an emphasis on explaining individual projects.

For example, a pitcher working on a new pitch.  When a guy is clearly working on his changeup and the opposing hitters know it is coming every other pitch, the stats are almost meaningless.  Unless somebody is being explicit about what is happening, all the fans get is "Garcia Rocked in 2 Inning Stint."

I would like to see POSITIVE stories about what some of these players are doing off the field.  Like a backstory on a player that explains the context for their commitment to helping kids with mastering math, or volunteering at senior centers, whatever.

But strictly exclude political stuff.  The NFL and NBA have suffered from allowing politics into the center of the discussion, and that is a big mistake.

Most fans like sports to be sports, not ANOTHER channel to get blasted with frictional politics.

On 1/24/2018 at 2:55 PM, well_red said:

I'd love to see an in-depth article about the typical day for a major leaguer during the season.  when do they get up, eat, run errands, get to the ball park, what training & video etc do they do before the game.  what's the locker room like before and after the game, etc.  what do they do after the 7pm games, different for young guys vs veterans.  i remember a new yorker in-depth article about tiki barber that was pretty eye-opening in demonstrating the 24/7 prep he had to put in just to make it through a typical football week.

I can say that their typical day is a lot longer than most people realize.

They are extremely well compensated. If they complain theyre stupid. But, it is a long ass season, and after spring training, its pretty non-stop for 6 months.

I think most of those guys put in close to 10 hour day or more. Which of course a lot of us do, for less money. But with only a handful of days off over 6 months or so, and most of those travel days, its a lot more hectic than we realize looking in from outside