• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

RIP Moose Stubing

JAHV76

I still remember Moose's no visual stop sign in Game 2 of the 1986 ALCS. Angels would have had the bases loaded and 1 out down 3-2 in the 6th. I know some sportswriters blamed Grich, but Grich did exactly as he had been taught since little league, rely on your third base coach. For example, what if the ball had been bobbled or misplayed? That was Moose''s mistake and to give him credit, he rightly took the blame.

He had a pretty decent minor league career. It's too bad the Angels didn't give him more of a chance in the bigs. Five pinch-hitting appearances in August of 1967 and that was the end of it. He had a great '64 season at AA El Paso, but struggled the following year in AAA. The numbers slowly went down from there.

Eight seasons in AA, a .900 OPS.

192 home runs and .283 BA in 15 minor-league seasons.

11 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

He had a pretty decent minor league career. It's too bad the Angels didn't give him more of a chance in the bigs. Five pinch-hitting appearances in August of 1967 and that was the end of it. He had a great '64 season at AA El Paso, but struggled the following year in AAA. The numbers slowly went down from there.

Eight seasons in AA, a .900 OPS.

192 home runs and .283 BA in 15 minor-league seasons.

F’ing Sosh. 

One of my favorite Moose Stubing references:

”This is a true story. When I went on (vacation) one recent summer, a guy came up to me and said, ‘You’re Moose Stubing aren’t you?’ ”Majerus said of the college referee. ”It’s true. And he was so excited.

”Not only is your ego deflated, but he thinks you’re a referee. But when I look at Moose, I look at a guy who is ugly and fat"

- Rick Majerus 

When I was working at my college paper at San Diego State, the guy who was the men's basketball beat writer told us about traveling to the WAC tournament, where Stubing was one of the referees. Our reporter was hanging out on the court between games when he struck up a conversation with Stubing, who was sitting on one of the benches. Stubing asked our guy who he worked for and he told him he was covering the tourney for the school paper, and Stubing laughed and told him "Man, you're just a f**king pup!" 

"F**cking pup" was this guy's nickname in the newsroom for the rest of the semester.