• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mariners check in as Baseball America’s worst farm system

Chuck

13 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

He brought in Huston Street and Joe Smith. The only player from the farm system  that has done anything is Mike Trout. Richards might pan out. Calhoun has been ok. The rest haven't done shit. Gas can Bedrosian has been great. He did get stuck with Scioscia.

Was a little hard for Seagura to do much while moving to Mikwaukee.

@Anaheimbob

Richards has panned out. He has had injuries, you can't fault that on the guy who drafted him. And that was not Dipoto, it was Reagins. (2009 Draft). Calhoun was also Reagins (2008). Bedrosian, was wait for it, also Reagins (2010).

Newcomb is the only player who has made the majors whom was drafted by DiPoto to have an impact of more than 1 WAR.

• 2 weeks later...
Dipoto has now led 2 farm systems to the bottom.  Bad luck?  or approach?

Steve Adams
4:01
Dipoto inherited a system that was like 28th in the Majors. Taking it to 30th didn't require much effort. It's actually impressive that he got as many near-MLB assets out of that as he did, though the Gohara trade hurts to some extent.
In Anaheim, it didn't help his cause much that Moreno kept going over his head to sign free agents that blew up their drafts.
4:02
Dipoto obviously isn't afraid to move prospects, but I don't think he's really the farm destroyer fans paint him as just because he's been the GM of a pair of teams that had garbage systems for the most part when he got there.

10 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Steve Adams
Dipoto inherited a system that was like 28th in the Majors. Taking it to 30th didn't require much effort. It's actually impressive that he got as many near-MLB assets out of that as he did, though the Gohara trade hurts to some extent.
In Anaheim, it didn't help his cause much that Moreno kept going over his head to sign free agents that blew up their drafts.
Dipoto obviously isn't afraid to move prospects, but I don't think he's really the farm destroyer fans paint him as just because he's been the GM of a pair of teams that had garbage systems for the most part when he got there.

No offense to Steve, but that's the view from 30,000 feet.  It's death by a thousand cuts to those on the ground.  

On 1/22/2018 at 2:50 AM, AngelArcher said:

Not to make excuses for Dipoto, but he didn't have a 1st round pick for a few years.

Thats a fair point. Thats why i asked earlier how hes done in seattle (i dont know the answer). But its a fair defense. And im sure he was under pressure to build a winner "now".

But his bullpens were dogshit. His depth was weak. And as far as drafting, taking that catcher no one cared about so early speaks volumes. 

And finally baldoquin. Not only signing him (win some lose some), but blowing our allowance to do it, and taking us out of the running for anyone else. That move all alone says the guy is a very poor long term planner.

15 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Thats a fair point. Thats why i asked earlier how hes done in seattle (i dont know the answer). But its a fair defense. And im sure he was under pressure to build a winner "now".

But his bullpens were dogshit. His depth was weak. And as far as drafting, taking that catcher no one cared about so early speaks volumes. 

And finally baldoquin. Not only signing him (win some lose some), but blowing our allowance to do it, and taking us out of the running for anyone else. That move all alone says the guy is a very poor long term planner.

damn that draft day cheer was so embarrassing.   

57 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Geez, reading his quotes about him personally scouting him and finding him Major-League ready and listing all his incredible attributes  - I'm embarrassed for DiPoto over that.  And the amount of money - we were bidding against ourselves, no doubt - and more than twice what Vlad Guerrero, Jr signed for.  And putting us in penalty for subsequent years.  All bad., really bad.   

But the thing that made it unforgivable to me, look at what other teams did when they went into the penalty - once you've exceeded the pool amount, you might as well go crazy and sign everyone under the sun, like the Yanks and Red Sox did - the only additional penalty is a dollar penalty.  Yankees signed 10 of the top 30 prospects that year, the Red Sox signed 40+ players including Moncada, and iirc, spent like $70m - I think we signed Baldoquin and one other.  So, he turned the mistake of Baldoquin  into disaster by "stopping."

Basically, he mishandled that in every conceivable way.  

55 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

damn that draft day cheer was so embarrassing.   

I cringe over that - I try to comfort myself with the thought that those GM's and baseball guys who mocked us that day (and they did) - they (mostly) passed on Trout.

19 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Steve Adams

Out of curiosity, what was his record with Arizona? Wasn't he also with the Rockies at one point?

10 hours ago, Chris said:

yes, I asked that question on MLBTR chat and was surprised to get an answer back so quick; I guess Dipoto still has his defenders

my follow up to that would have been that Eppler has moved the Angels from 30th to 14th in a couple years, so clearly it can be done 

Check out Lookout Landing...    You'll see a lot of the same excuses and reasoning.    Jerry's charisma buys him a lot of leeway or so it seems

On 1/19/2018 at 12:40 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Dipoto says the Mariners Rotation is possibly the best in baseball. LOL

https://www.mlb.com/news/will-kyle-lewis-play-for-mariners-in-18/c-265579422

First thing first....Steve hates the Angels and loves Dipoto. Second, Steve really doesn't know anything about the Angels beyond what Dipoto has told him.

If you ask Hitler about America, you'll get a completely different story. 

So yeah, Dipoto benefits from the narrative  that Pujols and Hamilton were Artie's fault and that the farm system was already bad when he got here. Too bad it's not the truth. The farm system was well-stocked with future major leaguers (good ones at that) and Dipoto was ultimately the driving force behind CJ Wilson and himself was leading the negotiations with others.

Dipoto bloated the payroll, squandered the farm and built a collection of teams that underperformed.

By contrast, his successor has rebuilt the farm, got the payroll under control, scored the highest profile international signing in history and appears to have built a team that will contend for the next decade.

17 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

First thing first....Steve hates the Angels and loves Dipoto. Second, Steve really doesn't know anything about the Angels beyond what Dipoto has told him.

If you ask Hitler about America, you'll get a completely different story. 

So yeah, Dipoto benefits from the narrative  that Pujols and Hamilton were Artie's fault and that the farm system was already bad when he got here. Too bad it's not the truth. The farm system was well-stocked with future major leaguers (good ones at that) and Dipoto was ultimately the driving force behind CJ Wilson and himself was leading the negotiations with others.

Dipoto bloated the payroll, squandered the farm and built a collection of teams that underperformed.

By contrast, his successor has rebuilt the farm, got the payroll under control, scored the highest profile international signing in history and appears to have built a team that will contend for the next decade.

That guy's chats are like a PR service for him..  it's actually gotten to be quite comical to see how much he doubles down on narratives that have been pretty much proven false.

If people inside or out of the M's org don't believe what we're saying, then just wait.  Keep Jerry for another couple of years.  

Kyle Lewis has to be burning a hole in his pocket.  I'm sure he'll move him soon along with a few others for a guy like odorizzi or Teheran.  

Honestly, he might as well at this point.  There is no player in their system who can help in the next couple of years and by the time they can, seattle will be in full rebuild.  

They have a really good offense.  They might as well go all in at this point and grab the best pitcher they can get in trade.  

and the demise of our farm during the Dipoto era wasn't all on him but he certainly contributed a huge chunk.  

Step 1 was completely pulling out of latin America after firing Daniels in 2009.  

Step 2 was Reagins taking the reigns from Bane, botching the 2010 draft, and then firing him.   As an aside, the 2010 draft was just unfortunate in that by the time we made our first pick at #18, there just wasn't a ton of talent.  We had 6 of the top 81 picks and 5 of the top 40.  From 18 on in the first couple of rounds, the best players so far are Yelich, Aaron Sanchez, Syndergaard, Taijuan Walker, Jedd Gyorko,  Drew Smyly and Simmons.  That's only 6 very good to good major leaguers in the first two rounds from the 14th pick actually.  (Chris Sale was 13th).  In the 3rd round you've got Reed, Thornburg, and Realmuto.   

Actually, from the 14th pick on for that entire draft, here is the WAR ranking.   Simmons (2)- 28.6, Kiermaier (31) - 21.5,  Yelich (1) - 17.4, DeGrom (9)- 17.4, Adam Eaton (19) - 16.5, Calhoun (8) - 13.0.  

Step 3 was the hiring of Ric Wilson 

Step 4 was the hiring of Jerry Dipoto

Step 5 was the free agent signings that cost us picks.  2nd round in 2011, 1st and 2nd in 2012, and 1st in 2013.  

Basically ignoring Latin America for 5+ years was by far the most impactful.  2nd was the Dipoto factor (poor drafts.  trading guys away.  using every last resource for the mlb club etc).  

Arte was complicit in all of the above but it is interesting that Billy has been able to get him to do the complete opposite.  Is it live and learn?  Or does Billy have a better plan?