• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Apple Computers

Tank

3 hours ago, mrwicked said:

Insane cash hoard. Just comical. 

And yet they still suck at web services and cloud.

They also suck at giving discounts. They have an educational program that gives discounts to teachers. The last time I went computer shopping they were offering a $75-100 discount on a $2300 MacBook. Oooh!

On 1/17/2018 at 8:59 PM, Tank said:

They also suck at giving discounts. They have an educational program that gives discounts to teachers. The last time I went computer shopping they were offering a $75-100 discount on a $2300 MacBook. Oooh!

But how much smug would you feel if you got 25% off the Macbook?

On 1/17/2018 at 9:59 PM, Tank said:

Yea, they don't really give discounts to their employees either.

Still the best laptops on the planet.  Save money and get a 13", the 15" really isn't necessary.

1 hour ago, nate said:

Yea, they don't really give discounts to their employees either.

Still the best laptops on the planet.  Save money and get a 13", the 15" really isn't necessary.

no way! i have the brand new 15" macbook pro. its great. but agreed - the 13" is awesome too though.

granted i've never paid for one myself. i think in my closet at home i have something like 8 or 9 previous laptops stacked up. probably should donate them.

1 hour ago, nate said:

Still the best laptops on the planet. 

They must be. You go to any related tech convention, Linux ones even, and practically everyone has an Apple laptop.

I grabbed a Surface Pro 3 off the (almost literal) scrapheap at work to use. Pretty nifty little devices really, though a few annoying quirks. Of course the absolute worse thing they do? Using them on your lap. Practically useless in that regard.

6 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

no way! i have the brand new 15" macbook pro. its great. but agreed - the 13" is awesome too though.

Hehe. The new rage battle is optimum laptop size. I used to be team 17". Then 15". Then 13". Considering the trend I'm kind of curious how I'm going to be using my 2" laptop when I'm 80.  And yeah, this whole post is twss.

24 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

granted i've never paid for one myself. i think in my closet at home i have something like 8 or 9 previous laptops stacked up. probably should donate them.

I have a new 15 also, I wish I could get a 13 but work won't provide it.

And, yea, I have like four or five of them stored away.

Like @Thomas I used to use a 17" and now I want nothing more than a 13".  So much more convenient.

And, yea, it is just the build quality of them that is so nice, also being unix based you have everything you need without needing putty or something.  Bash for windows changes that though, super nice to have.  Looking forward to bash for windows being able to handle containers like Kubernetes or Docker.

44 minutes ago, Thomas said:

They must be. You go to any related tech convention, Linux ones even, and practically everyone has an Apple laptop.

I grabbed a Surface Pro 3 off the (almost literal) scrapheap at work to use. Pretty nifty little devices really, though a few annoying quirks. Of course the absolute worse thing they do? Using them on your lap. Practically useless in that regard.

yep. i do all my dev work on ubuntu...

running as a VM on my apple macbook. 

you don't see many non-macbooks up here in silicon valley these days. but some thinkpads do float around, running bare metal linux.

I use an Iphone, ipad and apple tv but i can not bring myself to pay their price for a laptop.  I would rather pay $500-600 for a new dell/Lenovo laptop with the same specs as a macbook pro and when it turns to shit in a 3-4 years i just buy another one for a similar price.  Even after 10-15 years of doing this I havent spent as much as i would have if i just bought a macbook pro to start with.    

I finally bought my wife a new laptop for Christmas. She's had Macs and doesn't like them. Her Toshiba was 8 years old running an i3 chip and was finally slowing down. Keyboard was fine, never had an over heating problem, it just aged out from it's original windows 7 origin.

Got her a Dell with an SSD boot drive and a terabyte hard drive and an i7 chipset. It will probably go the same distance and she will be using it every day like the Toshiba. If you buy cheap laptops you get cheap components that wear out. That's when people think their Macs are so much better but don't mention they pay $2k for them but buy $500 PCs. 

Edited by Blarg

15 hours ago, Stradling said:

I like how Tank needs a lap top and dudes on here are talking about their stacks of unused lap tops.  

ha, don't actually need one right now thanks to the incredible generosity of one of my friends.

but if any of you with surplus computers feel like giving them away, i'm all ears and always interested in a free one. always.

On 1/19/2018 at 12:14 PM, mrwicked said:

If you ever want to donate one or two to a Non Profit Theater, let me know.

On 1/20/2018 at 9:43 AM, Geoff said:

I've been using the same Macbook Pro for years now.  Since then, our house has gone through about 4 PC laptops.  Never again.  If you buy a PC you're just throwing money away.

dude! is this the same one I sold you? that would be awesome.