• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

MLB Network ranks shortstops..

Chuck

Top 10 Shortstops Right Now!

1.         Carlos Correa, Houston Astros

2.         Corey Seager, Los Angeles Dodgers

3.         Francisco Lindor, Cleveland Indians

4.         Trea Turner, Washington Nationals

5.         Andrelton Simmons, Los Angeles Angels

6.         Jean Segura, Seattle Mariners

7.         Paul DeJong, St. Louis Cardinals

8.         Elvis Andrus, Texas Rangers

9.         Trevor Story, Colorado Rockies

10.       Tim Beckham, Baltimore Orioles

Thoughts? Personally I'd put Simmons ahead of Trea Turner, but that's me. Simmons is the best defensive SS on this list. 

Hosted by MLB Network’s Brian Kenny alongside MLB Network analysts, each Top 10 Right Now! ranking takes into account player performance over the last two seasons, a number of offensive and defensive metrics, both advanced Statcast data and traditional numbers, and expert analysis by the MLB Network research team.

On last night’s countdown, MLB Network analyst and 12-year MLB veteran Harold Reynolds said of Simmons, “The reason I’ve got him in the top-10 this year for me is not the defense – we all knew the defense was there – his offense came back. I shouldn’t even say, ‘came back,’ it went to a spot I don’t think we’ve seen and I think he’ll continue to take off.”

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Top 10 Shortstops Right Now!

1.         Carlos Correa, Houston Astros

2.         Corey Seager, Los Angeles Dodgers

3.         Francisco Lindor, Cleveland Indians

4.         Trea Turner, Washington Nationals

5.         Andrelton Simmons, Los Angeles Angels

6.         Jean Segura, Seattle Mariners

7.         Paul DeJong, St. Louis Cardinals

8.         Elvis Andrus, Texas Rangers

9.         Trevor Story, Colorado Rockies

10.       Tim Beckham, Baltimore Orioles

Thoughts? Personally I'd put Simmons ahead of Trea Turner, but that's me. Simmons is the best defensive SS on this list. 

Hosted by MLB Network’s Brian Kenny alongside MLB Network analysts, each Top 10 Right Now! ranking takes into account player performance over the last two seasons, a number of offensive and defensive metrics, both advanced Statcast data and traditional numbers, and expert analysis by the MLB Network research team.

On last night’s countdown, MLB Network analyst and 12-year MLB veteran Harold Reynolds said of Simmons, “The reason I’ve got him in the top-10 this year for me is not the defense – we all knew the defense was there – his offense came back. I shouldn’t even say, ‘came back,’ it went to a spot I don’t think we’ve seen and I think he’ll continue to take off.”

I agree with you, I'd put Simmons above Turner.  I'd also probably rank Lindor above Seager.  

Simmons was a real treat to watch last year.  I look forward to watching his continued defensive excellence and ever-improving offense in the upcoming years. :)

I guess I don’t have a real problem with the top five.  I think if you could start a team with Correa, Seager or Lindor you’re probably doing pretty good.  

Heres what surprises me.  I guess I am too busy with life because I’ve never heard of Paul De Jong.  I also thought Trevor Story was a 2nd baseman. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I guess I don’t have a real problem with the top five.  I think if you could start a team with Correa, Seager or Lindor you’re probably doing pretty good.  

Heres what surprises me.  I guess I am too busy with life because I’ve never heard of Paul De Jong.  I also thought Trevor Story was a 2nd baseman. 

DeJong was a 3B in the minors and they converted him over to SS and he played very well there defensively. He has a ton of power, but a very low OBP. Terrible plate discipline, but good pop and defense. DeJong hit 25 HR with the Cardinals and 13 with the AAA Memphis club prior to his call up. Had 9 walks/46 strikeouts in AAA, 21 walks/124 strikeouts in the big leagues.

Story was drafted as a SS in the 1st round and hasn't moved off the position since. 

Actually it is 4th and 5th as Correa had 5.2 fWAR, he just missed that list by 21 PA.

As for the list, the top five are definitely the best five but we could argue exact rankings. I think Correa gets the solid edge over Lindor and Seager, but then those two could be ranked either way. 

I could see arguments for Simmons or Turner being next. Simmons is better overall now, but Turner has more upside.