• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Brandon Marsh Prospect Article

37 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Marsh turns out to be the best of the talented OF bunch. I see his upside as higher than Jones, if not quite on Adell's level. 

I think he's going to turn heads in A/A+ this year, maybe even end the year in AA.

I hope so - being our only real left-handed hitting OF prospect, it'd be great if he comes along just as strong to help balance out our right-handed hitting prospects. 

I could see a Mike Trout extension with Jordon Adell and Brandon Marsh roaming the outfield with him. The best thing is that there is no super rush to get them to develop with Calhoun controlled through 2020. The Ohtani signing has made such an incredible impact for our farm system too since we now can be selective in choosing whether or not to make an impact trade or not using our prospect assets.

Thanks for sharing the article Scotty.

11 minutes ago, ettin said:

I could see a Mike Trout extension with Jordon Adell and Brandon Marsh roaming the outfield with him. The best thing is that there is no super rush to get them to develop with Calhoun controlled through 2020. The Ohtani signing has made such an incredible impact for our farm system too since we now can be selective in choosing whether or not to make an impact trade or not using our prospect assets.

Thanks for sharing the article Scotty.

I think the ETA's on some of our OF's also gives us some freedom. Herm will be ready to go later this year or start of 2019. Jones will be ready later 2019 or start of 2020. Marsh and Adell will be ready 2021. 

This is a big, long wave of OF talent coming in and they'll either change the organization themselves or be traded for players that will.

Nice read.  Everyone should read this.  

The guy is 20 as of 18 days ago.  Yet he talks about the game like he's been playing in the bigs for 20 years.  Mentioning his regimen in the batters box.  hydration.  flexibility.  preparation.  pitch recognition.  timing.  

Intensity and focus.  That's what this article tells me.  I can't even remember what I was thinking about when I was 20 (well I kinda do.  wink wink)  but I am pretty sure I wasn't as motivated as he sounds.  

The Angels need to challenge this kid and I think he'll respond.  Gotta start him in full season ball.  

In his first 39 professional games he had hits in 32 of them.  Any time in Orem is worthless for him.  

What do folks think the Opening Day starting OFs will be by level? How does this look?

Majors - Upton, Trout, Calhoun (duh)

AAA - Liriano, Hermosillo, Way/Allday?

AA - Lund, Sanger, Gibbons?

A+ - Sandoval, Jones, Todd

A - Hunter, Adell, Marsh

Or something like that. Not sure about exact positions, or about the journeyman types, thus the question marks. 

I think Marsh is interesting in that I can't exactly identify what he'll be as a major leaguer.

His hit tool is good, but not great. Above average. The power is beginning to manifest, but he really hasn't hit the age where it does yet. He might hit 15 or he might develop into 40. The plate discipline could use some work, but given that he has less than 40 games of experience, I get it. He's fast, but it's hard to tell if that's the sort that results in 30+ SB a year, or if it's more the athletic type that gives him range in the OF and round the bases quickly.

Basically, he could be a .260/.310 15 HR 15 SB type, or he could be a .290/.350 40 HR 30 SB type.

Let's just cut it in half and say he's a .275/.330 27 HR 23 SB type.

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

What do folks think the Opening Day starting OFs will be by level? How does this look?

Majors - Upton, Trout, Calhoun (duh)

AAA - Liriano, Hermosillo, Way/Allday?

AA - Lund, Sanger, Gibbons?

A+ - Sandoval, Jones, Todd

A - Hunter, Adell, Marsh

Or something like that. Not sure about exact positions, or about the journeyman types, thus the question marks. 

Jones had an .857 ops at A+ ball.  If he starts there, it's ain't gonna be for long.  

With Fernandez, Fletcher, Fontana, Cowart, Houchins in the IF at AAA, I think Colin Walsh gets the nod in LF.   Otherwise I think you're spot on.  

21 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I think Marsh is interesting in that I can't exactly identify what he'll be as a major leaguer.

His hit tool is good, but not great. Above average. The power is beginning to manifest, but he really hasn't hit the age where it does yet. He might hit 15 or he might develop into 40. The plate discipline could use some work, but given that he has less than 40 games of experience, I get it. He's fast, but it's hard to tell if that's the sort that results in 30+ SB a year, or if it's more the athletic type that gives him range in the OF and round the bases quickly.

Basically, he could be a .260/.310 15 HR 15 SB type, or he could be a .290/.350 40 HR 30 SB type.

Let's just cut it in half and say he's a .275/.330 27 HR 23 SB type.

So he could be Russell Branyan with more speed or Josh Hamilton with less drug habits

My reasonably optimistic projection for Marsh is something like .280/.850 with 30+ HR and 20 SB. 

I see Jones as being more like .290/.800 with 15-20 HR and 30 SB.

Adell? Who knows. If what we saw in 2017 is his most raw, then he could be a superstar. But he could also struggle to hit above .270 and become a very good but not great Justin Upton type.

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

My reasonably optimistic projection for Marsh is something like .280/.850 with 30+ HR and 20 SB. 

I see Jones as being more like .290/.800 with 15-20 HR and 30 SB.

Adell? Who knows. If what we saw in 2017 is his most raw, then he could be a superstar. But he could also struggle to hit above .270 and become a very good but not great Justin Upton type.

Marsh was every bit as raw as Adell. Comparing the two, Adell is bigger, stronger and faster than Marsh, but generally has the same athletic skill set. They both are well spoken and take this profession very seriously. They both push themselves in the weight room (Marsh moreso) and they both likely would've been great collegiate WR on the gridiron.

Marsh hits left handed and Adell is a year younger. 

In my opinion, they're both going to be stars at the highest level by the time they're 24. The only difference is that Marsh's will come from tireless work and sheer strength. Adell's will come because he has a good head on his shoulders and is just that much more physically gifted than everyone else.

I think it can work out where they'll all contribute.

2018: LF Upton CF Trout RF Calhoun. 4th OF Young. Pujols/Valbuena/Ohtani at 1B/DH.

Hermosillo in AAA, Thaiss inAA/AAA. Jones in A+/AA, Adell and Marsh in A.

2019: LF Upton CF Trout RF Calhoun. 1B Matt Thaiss. Pujols reaches the end of his playing career and will DH when Ohtani isn't.

Hermosillo in AAA, Jones in AA/AAA, Marsh and Adell in A+.

Before 2020 season, Trout signs a 10 years extension that will take him through age 38.

2020: LF Upton CF Trout RF Jones 1B Thaiss. Calhoun is traded after exercising option. On days that Ohtani DH's, Hermosillo is 4th OF. On days Ohtani is resting, Upton will DH with Herm in LF.

Marsh and Adell in AA.

2021: Hermosillo in LF, Trout in CF, Jones in RF, Thaiss at 1B, Upton and Ohtani split DH duties, Upton also splits 1B duties with Thaiss.

Marsh and Adell in AAA.

2022: Trout in LF, Adell in CF, Jones in RF, Thaiss at 1B, Upton/Ohtani DH.

2023: Jones in LF, Adell in CF, Marsh in RF, Thaiss at 1B, Trout is DH and fills in the OF when needed, Ohtani strictly pitches and pinch hits.

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

2018: LF Upton CF Trout RF Calhoun. 4th OF Young. Pujols/Valbuena/Ohtani at 1B/DH.

2019: LF Upton CF Trout RF Calhoun. 1B Matt Thaiss. Pujols reaches the end of his playing career and will DH when Ohtani isn't.

Before 2020 season, Trout signs a 10 years extension that will take him through age 38.

2020: LF Upton CF Trout RF Jones 1B Thaiss. Calhoun is traded after exercising option. On days that Ohtani DH's, Hermosillo is 4th OF. On days Ohtani is resting, Upton will DH with Herm in LF.

Marsh and Adell in AA.

2021: Hermosillo in LF, Trout in CF, Jones in RF, Thaiss at 1B, Upton and Ohtani split DH duties, Upton also splits 1B duties with Thaiss.

Marsh and Adell in AAA.

2023: Jones in LF, Adell in CF, Marsh in RF, Thaiss at 1B, Trout is DH and fills in the OF when needed, Ohtani strictly pitches and pinch hits.

Simmons/Maitan manning the left side of the infield, perhaps?

1 hour ago, Scotty@AW said:

Marsh and Adell in AA.

Marsh and Adell in AAA.

So our HOF center fielder gets pushed out of his natural position at 31 years old? Yeah...ok