• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Laid my dog to rest

This past Saturday, we had to put our dog, Opie, to rest.He is the dog in my profile pic.  I am completely heartbroken and even though my house is full of love with my wife and kids, it feels so horribly empty. Everywhere I turn there are memories and feelings that are unbearable.

Opie was an Australian Shepherd and being a working dog, he needed to have a job. His job was to take care of his family and bring us complete and total joy and he tried to do that until his final moments.

For those of you who never met him, he was a clown and a loyal partner. He would wake me up with a sock in his mouth (probably the one I took off the night before) and on command run into the kids rooms and wake them up every morning. He would lay either in your lap or at the landing of the stairs to watch over his pack. He would greet people walking the neighborhood from the gate in our back yard. People who were complete strangers to me would yell “Hey Opie” when he and I were on walks because they saw him every day on their own walks. He was just as happy sleeping on the couch, or in a tent as he was on the bed as long as I was there.

If you met Opie, you know he was as playful and gentle as they come. When you came to our house he would meet you at the door, bark at you for several minutes telling you about his day and then demand that you go toss the ball around in the yard. Everyone who came to the house came to see him first and the rest of the family second… at least that is how he saw it.

Even though I have a beautiful wife, great kids, and loving friends there is nothing like the relationship between a guy and his dog. Our friendship was based solely on sharing love, making each other happy, and play. A completely unselfish relationship. My life is better because we found each other.

I have been lucky to have great dogs in my life and there will surely be another in the near future. I can’t imagine my life without a dog and I am sure Opie wouldn’t want me to. I am sure if he saw the pain I was in now, it would be torture for him and neither of us would want that.

For now, I will just say what I always said “See ya in a bit Opie, Luv ya buddy”

Condolences, Sully. There's nothing like the connection a guy has with his dog.

im at a point where I'm ready to find a dog for our family. Need to have our landlord fix a fence issue for us first, but I miss the companionship a dog provides.

My condolences. Only a dog lover can understand how tough this can be.

After going through this twice in the past two years (one was put to sleep, the other hit by car), the advice I would give you is to jump right back in and get another dog. The first time we waited, and all we did was wish we had a dog, and miss her. After waiting a while, we got a great dog, but sadly, she got loose and got hit by a car in front of my wife. As sad as it was, we got another dog within two weeks. That dog is spoiled and loved more than I ever thought a dog could be. 

If you are a dog lover, part of you dies with them, so the quicker you have a dog back in your life, the sooner you will feel whole again.  

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It’s nice to get support from a bunch of people I have never met.

the family and I decided to go to Joshua Tree for a few days to climb some rocks and clear our heads and at least yesterday was a little bit easier.

We will be getting another dog soon. An Aussie again. They are perfect for our family.

again, thanks for the words.

Sorry for your loss, @Sully151. We lost our Max at 13 years old this past summer and it hurt. 

We waited 6 weeks and got another Anatolian Shepherd at two months old and he really filled the void. Dogs are truly special. I cannot imagine not having one. 

Australian Shepherds are great. We had 3 of them when I was a youngster. Good dogs!