• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Scioscia's last year?

jordan

3 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

That decision to have Jose Molina bunt with one out in Game 6 is still a head scratcher.

Scioscia is a decent enough manager on balance, but certainly not one of the most brilliant as many seem to believe. I really hope he's not extended especially if we miss the playoffs again. It's time for a change after so many (mostly frustrating) seasons. I'm tired of coming up short every year. 2009 was a long time ago.

I agree that it’s time for a change.  I’m a little worried about the bullpen this year.  If you look at Scioscia’s success it’s been in years where we’ve had a good to great bullpen.  Even in 2009 we had Fuentes closing out games.  Since then we’ve had guys like him, Walden, Frieri, Rodney all closing games for us.  Then we traded for Street and he did well down the stretch in 2014, only to have the offense take a nap that series.  After 2014 Street got old and injured.  Last year the pen was solid, but I only had faith in Petit and Parker. 

I have a love/hate relationship with Sosh, but overall there is no doubt he has been great for this franchise.  If the Angels make the playoffs this year, I have no issue with him staying with the Angels.  Just don't offer him any long term contracts like they did last year.

20 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think Scioscia is gone if he doesn't at least get this team to the ALCS. 

Eppler can hire a guy who is all about advanced stats/metrics. Someone with experience playing ball, someone younger and one who understands how to properly evaluate talent in this day and age. 

While he was slow to do so, I think Sosh has adapted to the andvanced stat/metrics system.  Sometimes to a fault.  I think it has backfired a few times with his bullpen management.

5 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

The 2014 Angels lost two  extra inning games to KC in the postseason, with a little luck and better managing that team could have won the WS.  I'm sure Jerry Dipoto told Scioscia , if he doesn't play Hamilton he will be fired.

Well, with better hitting we win that series.  I am sure the poor hitting by Albert and Trout are Scioscia's fault.

1 minute ago, VariousCrap said:

Two things:

1. Aybar was shit for not getting that bunt down.
2. Willits showed poor running skills getting back to the base.

I agree with 1 but Willits was a dead duck running on the pitch, he was over half way home when Aybar bailed out on a strike. 

Just now, Blarg said:

I agree with 1 but Willits was a dead duck running on the pitch, he was over half way home when Aybar bailed out on a strike. 

No doubt it was a tough place to be in, but watching the video, I think he could have done a better going back to the bag.  But, we can agree, in that situation, Aybar has to at least foul the ball off.  Missing it like that is unacceptable in that situation.

41 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree that it’s time for a change.  I’m a little worried about the bullpen this year.  If you look at Scioscia’s success it’s been in years where we’ve had a good to great bullpen.  Even in 2009 we had Fuentes closing out games.  Since then we’ve had guys like him, Walden, Frieri, Rodney all closing games for us.  Then we traded for Street and he did well down the stretch in 2014, only to have the offense take a nap that series.  After 2014 Street got old and injured.  Last year the pen was solid, but I only had faith in Petit and Parker. 

Although we butt heads all the time about Scioscia - this I definitely agree with you about.  Scioscia is most successful with an established closer that he can trust and dominate.  Having a krod/shields/percival in the pen made him require less use of his mind and now that he's forced to actually use his brain in late and close situations , it has exposed his biggest weakness.

7 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Although we butt heads all the time about Scioscia - this I definitely agree with you about.  Scioscia is most successful with an established closer that he can trust and dominate.  Having a krod/shields/percival in the pen made him require less use of his mind and now that he's forced to actually use his brain in late and close situations , it has exposed his biggest weakness.

Lack of talent at the back end of the bullpen?  I agree.

5 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

BOSTON — Before Manny Delcarmen had thrown a pitch to Erick Aybar in the ninth inning Monday night, catcher Jason Varitek reminded him to be aware that Aybar might attempt a squeeze bunt to push in the go-ahead run from third base. Delcarmen appreciated the reminder, but he did not need it.

During a game between the Red Sox and the Los Angeles Angels last season, Delcarmen explained, the Angels successfully used a squeeze bunt against him. In the most pivotal game of the 2008 season, Delcarmen did not plan to let the Angels victimize him with their small ball again.

Once the Red Sox stopped the squeeze play in the ninth, Jed Lowrie’s two-out single in the bottom of the inning delivered Jason Bay and guided them to a 3-2 victory and a four-game conquest in their American League division series. The Red Sox, the defending World Series champions, will oppose the Tampa Bay Rays in the American League Championship starting Friday.

Yes, and Aybar failed.  

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

Yes, brainpower -- Scioscia's lack of it why mediocre pitchers fail to perform.   Speaking of exposing one's weakness -- it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and remove all doubt.

2 hours ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

The 2014 Angels lost two  extra inning games to KC in the postseason, with a little luck and better managing that team could have won the WS.  I'm sure Jerry Dipoto told Scioscia , if he doesn't play Hamilton he will be fired.

The GM chooses who is on the post season roster. Hamilton was Jerry's guy so he was going to play. In Scioscia's defense he batted him 7th.