• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Amtrak train derails on highway bridge in Washington state

gotbeer

42 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Inaugural run of new high speed train route from Seattle to Portland. Dignitaries and transportation officials on board. Derailed minutes after leaving the station.

I really couldn't tell if you were joking or serious.  But it seems you are serious.

Multiple fatalities reported after new high-speed Amtrak train derails near Seattle

The incident happened at 7:40 Monday morning when Amtrak train 501 derailed onto Interstate 5 in the city of Dupont, about 50 miles southwest of Seattle. Train 501 was part of a high-speed service between Seattle, Washington and Portland, Oregon that launched Monday morning.

And I think I'm going to hell with Lou, because I did chuckle a bit.  

BREAKING NEWS: 'At least THREE dead and 77 injured' after new high-speed Amtrak train derails on Washington State overpass on its FIRST day of service sending rail car crashing onto interstate below'

There are a lot of photos in this news report.  80 people on the train, so far 3 fatalaties, and a capacity of 250.  So if there is only 3 fatalities, looking at the wreckage, then they got really lucky.  

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

KOMO News in Seattle is reporting an unnamed official has said "track obstruction" is a possible cause of the derailment. I think AP is also reporting this.

I doubt it. Why would all the cabs derail and not the engine? There isn't even any damage on the front of the engine. I think they just took the turn before the bridge too fast.

476F785800000578-5191431-image-m-88_1513

48 minutes ago, LHalo said:

I doubt it. Why would all the cabs derail and not the engine? There isn't even any damage on the front of the engine. I think they just took the turn before the bridge too fast.

476F785800000578-5191431-image-m-88_1513

let the conspiracies begin!

3 hours ago, LHalo said:

That was the rear locomotive that didn't derail.  The one that was in front slid down a hill and ended up in the highway below.

http://komonews.com/news/local/photos-amtrak-train-plunges-off-tracks-closes-i-5-south-of-tacoma#photo-28

The Amtrak engineer was a friend of a friend.  He's alive.  I may have a connection to others working the train as well.

There's a 30 curve just before the bridge over I-5.  It is estimated the train took this curve at 70-79 MPH.  Don't know for sure until the NTSB pulls the event recorders (aka:  railroad black boxes).  The engine pictured above, still on the rails, was on the back of the train.  Lead engine (less than a month old) went down the embankment onto I-5. 

This was the first "revenue run" over a new route in the Tacoma area.  Amtrak had made dozens of test runs to qualify the engineers on the new route out of the Seattle and Portland crew bases.  Don't know how many qualifying trips this engineer, and his Road Foreman of Engines, had made prior to today's accident.  My money is on the NTSB determining it was not enough.  I suspect he lost situational awareness in the dark and didn't slow the train down for that 30 curve. 

One major difference between driving cars and operating trains is that locomotive engineers must memorize every speed limit, and plan for it, long in advance of reaching it.  By the time he spotted that 30 curve while doing 79 MPH, it would have been too late.  Braking action would have been required a half mile in advance. 

Technology to prevent overspeed derailments was already installed on the line.  The equipment was also installed on the Amtrak train but not yet functional. 

23 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Safety procedures are written in blood. Ignoring them is inexcusable

That's an expression on the railroad too -- the rulebooks are written in blood.  Which is true.

This particular accident is highly unusual being the first revenue run on a new line.  Adding to the matter is the new locomotive (built by Siemens) which the engineer may have had limited time on.  To be fair, ALL engineers have limited time on this type because it's a brand new design.  But did this guy have less time than others?

Ambulance chasers will have a field day with this one.  Did I mention the passenger cars, built by a Spanish company Talgo, did not meet current Federal Railroad Administration crash worthiness standards and were being operated under a waiver issued by the Feds?