• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Next Move?

Warfarin

Just thinking outside the box a bit here, but with the mentions of someone who can play both C and 1B - might we consider targeting Grandal from the Dodgers?

Grandal is an elite framer and strong defensive catcher who can share the catching responsibilities with Maldonado.  He has also played a decent amount of 1B with the Padres and can probably be flexed out to play 1B with us selectively.  He's a switch hitter who is stronger as a LH, so he'd also give us some more balance.

This way, we'd have two strong defensive catchers and a LH power hitting 1B too.  I don't know what his cost would be, but he did seem to fall out of favor for Barnes, and the Dodgers do appear to be looking to get under the luxury tax soon.  

This would enable us to play, on some nights (when Maldonado rests), a configuration of:

Kinser (2B), Calhoun (RF), Trout (CF), Upton (LF), Grandal (C), Pujols (1B), Cozart (3B), Ohtani (DH), Simmons (SS)

Other lineup possibilities include:

Kinser (2B), Calhoun (RF), Trout (CF), Upton (LF), Grandal (1B), Pujols (DH), Cozart (3B), Maldonado (C), Simmons (SS)

Kinser (2B), Calhoun (RF), Trout (CF), Upton (LF), Pujols (DH), Valbuena (1B), Cozart (3B), Maldonado (C), Simmons (SS)

Kinser (2B), Calhoun (RF), Trout (CF), Upton (LF), Grandal (1B), Cozart (3B), Ohtani (DH), Maldonado (C), Simmons (SS)

etc.  There are many ways to re-configure the lineup with his addition.  He'd give us the additional LH power we'd want, more positional flexibility, and another strong defensive catcher to help share the load with Maldonado.  The more I think about it, the more he seems like a perfect addition.

To add onto my previous post, a possible trade suggestion: 

Grandal (~8mil) + McCarthy (~12mil) for middle tier prospects.

The Dodgers are reportedly looking to unload some of their deadweight (McCarthy, Kazmir, AGon) to help them get below the luxury tax limit.  We could absorb McCarthy from them as part of the deal to help reduce the prospect demand they may want for Grandal.  This saves them 20 million (they're payroll is projected to be around 210mil currently), which will get them under the cap.  McCarthy could be a decent addition to our rotation and give us some quality innings.  When healthy last season, he actually performed fairly well.

Alternatively, we could even absorb Kazmir from them, but then I'd say that we send them only fringe prospects in return, as Kazmir is broken and won't realistically contribute anything.  I'd also say as part of the deal, we be allowed to negotiate a contract extension with Grandal, to ensure we have a catcher beyond 2018.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

There's zero chance that'll happen, because the Marlins want to decrease payroll.  Taking on Calhoun, Skaggs, and CJ Cron will significantly increase their payroll vs just keeping Yelich.  We'd have to trade them a package like Adell, Jones, Caning, which IMO is way too much.

Yeah good point I didn’t realize the difference in salaries. What I want Eppler to do is finish his bullpen and sign a starter like Sabathia and then trade Cron for whatever we can get. No sense blowing all of our prospects when we have a pretty solid team in place. 

12 hours ago, ettin said:

Depending on which way they decide to go I could see the Angels grabbing a C that can play 1B to help soak up some of those at-bats as I mentioned over in the Roster Building thread.

I could easily see a trade with a team like the Rays or maybe the Indians where we swap one or more big league pieces.

For instance we could send C.J. Cron for Wilson Ramos with the Rays. Cuts salary for them by about $5M and they get more years of control over C.J. vs. the one year left of Ramos. We slot Ramos in as backup C and slot him in for some 1B duty.

Or perhaps we send Cron to the Indians in exchange for Cody Allen (3 years for 1 year). It would save Cleveland about $7M in payroll and would give them a 1B they are looking for. Gives us 1 year of a good reliever. I'd prefer to expand the trade to include a guy like Yandy Diaz and send another piece or perhaps prospects.

Cron for Allen, really? The Indisns would never do that. I think we are lucky to get a middling prospect for Cron. There are still plenty of IB out there for Cleveland. I don’t think a team that won 100 games last season is looking to dump a quality pen piece for Cron. 

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

There's zero chance that'll happen, because the Marlins want to decrease payroll.  Taking on Calhoun, Skaggs, and CJ Cron will significantly increase their payroll vs just keeping Yelich.  We'd have to trade them a package like Adell, Jones, Caning, which IMO is way too much.

I think you're right...the new ownership group had to take on 400 million in debt and are looking for more investors.  It sounds like a dumpster fire...

19 minutes ago, TroutTrumbo said:

Cron for Allen, really? The Indisns would never do that. I think we are lucky to get a middling prospect for Cron. There are still plenty of IB out there for Cleveland. I don’t think a team that won 100 games last season is looking to dump a quality pen piece for Cron. 

It may be a stretch I'll admit but it could be the basis of a trade perhaps with another piece attached. Remember that Allen is making over $10M so his surplus value is not that high either. Over the next two years C.J. is scheduled to make approximately $2.8M in 2018 and approximately $5.5M in 2019 give or take. Those are still reasonable prices for him in my opinion. In fact his projected $9M in 2020 isn't horrible either although the 1B market is still saturated so that 3rd year may not be attractive.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

To add onto my previous post, a possible trade suggestion: 

Grandal (~8mil) + McCarthy (~12mil) for middle tier prospects.

The Dodgers are reportedly looking to unload some of their deadweight (McCarthy, Kazmir, AGon) to help them get below the luxury tax limit.  We could absorb McCarthy from them as part of the deal to help reduce the prospect demand they may want for Grandal.  This saves them 20 million (they're payroll is projected to be around 210mil currently), which will get them under the cap.  McCarthy could be a decent addition to our rotation and give us some quality innings.  When healthy last season, he actually performed fairly well.

Alternatively, we could even absorb Kazmir from them, but then I'd say that we send them only fringe prospects in return, as Kazmir is broken and won't realistically contribute anything.  I'd also say as part of the deal, we be allowed to negotiate a contract extension with Grandal, to ensure we have a catcher beyond 2018.

Well I sure have bad timing.  It took all of one hour after I posted this for my trade proposal to become moot, as the Dodgers just offloaded McCarthy.  Whoops!  Was worth a shot, haha.

50 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

So if you add Ohtani’s salary and posting fee on top of what Arte has already committed in 2018 salaries it adds up to over $200M. I know it doesn’t factor in for the AAV but maybe Arte might decide to just tap out for this offseason. We certainly can’t be disappointed with this offseason regardless. 

Except why stop here?  You don’t pay Kinsler for one year to then ignore the bullpen or a fourth outfielder.  If that was the case they would have not signed Cozart.

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Except why stop here?  You don’t pay Kinsler for one year to then ignore the bullpen or a fourth outfielder.  If that was the case they would have not signed Cozart.

I’m not sure that Arte has ever spent over $200M in any single season to field a team. Let’s see if he spends more. 

2 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

I still think Eppler is thinking long term and he will keep possible mid-season acquisitions in play.

Yes he is thinking long term which leads to the question, if he was shy about spending money to complete the team, why get Kinsler on a one year deal?  Then turn around and get Cozart?  Could have saved $11 million this year.  

42 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes he is thinking long term which leads to the question, if he was shy about spending money to complete the team, why get Kinsler on a one year deal?  Then turn around and get Cozart?  Could have saved $11 million this year.  

I think this team as constructed has the potential to take off running. Leaving an extra $15M - $20M for a deadline deal is a luxury they should keep ready if needed. You never know if someone gets injured and who could to be available on the market at that time. Don’t forget that Maybin was a 1 year deal that ended up being less than a year. Kinsler is a stop gap.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Or you don’t trade for Kinsler and you just sign Cozart and run Cowart/Valbuena at 3rd.  

This, 100% this.  There is no way they went out and got Kinsler for 1 year, without planning to make a run.  Right now all eyes are on this season, not next, with a nod towards showing Trout they are serious.  
This is why i dont think they will go with the current 1B solution when options are out there to upgrade. 

10 minutes ago, floplag said:

This, 100% this.  There is no way they went out and got Kinsler for 1 year, without planning to make a run.  Right now all eyes are on this season, not next, with a nod towards showing Trout they are serious.  
This is why i dont think they will go with the current 1B solution when options are out there to upgrade. 

Flop I  just can’t see a scenario where they make all the necessary moves it would take to solve first base.  It would require trading Cron and probably Valbuena.  They are believed to be only carrying four bench spots.  So a catcher, 4th outfielder, a utility infielder and your first baseman.  

36 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Flop I  just can’t see a scenario where they make all the necessary moves it would take to solve first base.  It would require trading Cron and probably Valbuena.  They are believed to be only carrying four bench spots.  So a catcher, 4th outfielder, a utility infielder and your first baseman.  

I agree it would be tricky, but thats Eppler's MO it would seem.   
But lets analyze, cause why not... 
Look at a guy like Adam Lind for example that could fill both the 1B and 4th OF spots and is a LH.  
Perthaps even Chase Headley, im betting hes athletic enough to fill in as a 4th OF as needed to get more at bats when Pujols has to play 1B.   
Yes, it would require trading Cron, and perhaps even releasing Valbuena, but for the right person, it would make sense. 
I see a few possibilities out there that could be intriguing and would upgrade the team.   Whether any happen only time will tell. 
Is it likely, perhaps not, but im not counting Eppler out at this point.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Flip, your fourth outfielder needs to be able to play CF.  When you see guys like Lind as an outfielder they are carrying four other outfielders. 

I understand, but i also think that Calhoun could slide over if needed.  
Like i said you are right, im not arguing any points, all im saying is the plan is not done, and its the one obvious spot we can still do something with. 

41 minutes ago, floplag said:

I understand, but i also think that Calhoun could slide over if needed.  
Like i said you are right, im not arguing any points, all im saying is the plan is not done, and its the one obvious spot we can still do something with. 

It'd be Upton if anyone. He started a handful of games in CF in 2016.

Cron for some pen depth.

Houston signed Joe Smith to a two year deal -- Smith pitched well for us -- good pen guy - Houston just got him and the champs look better for 2018.

We should trade Cron for some pitching -- pen depth perhaps a spot starter.

I think we should make a pitch to sign CC Sabathia and pitch him once a week like Ohtani.

then we have about four other starters that could work around that schedule and one of those starters could possibly be more of a swing man -- long relief (more in terms of an early inning guy rather than number of innings -- which limit him to two IP per pen appearance -- and some starts fitting in around Ohtani and CC).

Angels strong up the middle. Let's keep expectations in place -- Ohtani has not had one MLB AB yet and has not pitched one MLB inning yet --  but it's going to be an interesting season.

I still like Simmons as a the defensive spark plug up the middle at SS with his DP combo now Kinsler and Cozart can play 3B,SS and 2B when called upon.

Geez -- I look at the roster and I think we have a real quality line up -- with one big caveat.

An Angels fan pal of mine (he's only been watching Angels games since the days of Jim Fregosi and Albie Pearson) insists that Pujols has some contract term or understanding that he bats no lower than fourth in the Halos line up --- I don't believe that -- but really -- Pujols (Mr. GIDP) needs to be batting about 7th or 8th this season = when he plays.