• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels sign Cozart to 3-year deal

jsnpritchett

1 minute ago, nando714 said:

I agree

i don’t like Cozart. He had a nice offensive season in his walk year. I get that he plays all over in the infield and is good defensively. 

But remember we got zero power from LF over the last few years. Upton should be good for 30 bombs.

we do need that lefty though. Imo

And that would be an issue and not knowing how many AB's they are going to dedicate to Ohtani..... If they were going to give him a 100+ then I could see the need for a Moreland or LOMO. If they are giving Ohtani more At Bats then the need for either of Lomo/Moreland is diminished.... As they require 500+ ab's to put up 22HR's/70RBI's

10 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Harrison would be neat, but I don’t think we’d go for him, as there aren’t enough ABs for him anymore.

I’m fine with Valbuena being our starting 1B most of the time, with Pujols playing 1-2 times a week.  LoMo would be a possible upgrade, but isn’t necessarily needed either.  

There was a tweet about us talking with the Pirates about him an hour before the announcement of Cozart!.... And Harrison plays into the speed Flexibility INF/OF role that EPPY has been talking about.

1 hour ago, aznhockeyguy said:

.700 OPS from Cozart with his above average defense would be what I expect from him.  Don't think it's an overpay.  2 WAR players usually cost about this amount.

Worth noting that he's a 2 WAR at SS. The same offensive numbers would be worth less at 3B, not to mention he may be worse defensively at 3B than at SS since it's new to him.

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Worth noting that he's a 2 WAR at SS. The same offensive numbers would be worth less at 3B, not to mention he may be worse defensively at 3B than at SS since it's new to him.

But, also, you could say he would only really have to worry about his glove side range wise which should be good. As there is less ground to cover on his right side. Plus, with Simba's range he's even in a tighter box left to right range wise.

So, in reality you are looking at his first step quickness left to right and ability to react/reaction time at the hot corner!

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I hope not we're RHH heavy as fuck and Cron can only play one spot.

Cron hits RHP better than LHP and 10 of his 16 HR against RHP. Cron had a higher batting ave, than Valbuena against RP.  Valbuena can't hit LHP at all. If Cron is gone, then on the days Albert is the DH and a LHP is going for the other team who plays 1B? Luis, who sticks against LHP? Valbuena hit .199 last year .199, trade him and keep Cron. Cron was the better defender at 1B last year as well. Cowart can play every position on the IF in a pinch and excels at 2B and 3B, he can also play a little OF and is a switch hitter. Keep Cron and make Coward the utility man, he can pinch run and even steal a base or two.

RHP -- CJ Cron .253/.309/.415/.724 - 10 HR   Luis Valbuena .210/.305/.460/.765  - 21 HR 

LHP -- CJ Cron .233/.290/.500/.790 - 6 HR     Luis Valbuena .105/.213/.211/.423 - 1 HR  

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Wow!  3 years sounds like a lot, but it's expected.  He will definitely confer flexibility.  I'm guessing he's our starting 3B this year, then starting 2B the next two years thereafter.  He will be able to backup Simmons too when he needs days off.  

I know this isn't the most exciting signing, but he does play a significant role for us in that he fills a hole (3B) AND provides insurance for the middle infield too.  Strong move, and another indication of our "defense first" priorities, as we opted to go for him over Moose.

Agreed. Not the best move for excitement, but I have a feeling this was done in order to have him take over for kinsler either next year or at the deadline.

I would prefer a better bat at 3B, but if we didnt spend a lot, it gives flexibility....flexibility to use money on pitching, on a bigger fish free agent looking forward, and perhaps most important, we keep our farm chips intact for a replacement down the road.

8 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Hopefully the transition is smooth. But theoretically, WAR is designed so that any offensive loss caused by a position change is mitigated by a defensive gain. It doesn't hold up around the extremes but for most players it's fairly true.

7 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

But, also, you could say he would only really have to worry about his glove side range wise which should be good. As there is less ground to cover on his right side. Plus, with Simba's range he's even in a tighter box left to right range wise.

So, in reality you are looking at his first step quickness left to right and ability to react/reaction time at the hot corner!

Admittedly, the defense half of the equation is the lesser part of my previous post.

The main point I was trying to make is that his offense gets downgraded when he goes to 3B, reducing his WAR.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Admittedly, the defense half of the equation is the lesser part of my previous post.

The main point I was trying to make is that his offense gets downgraded when he goes to 3B, reducing his WAR.

I understand that Jeff, But, you included the unknown of position change into your thought. Which is a question that will be found out in SPT. It could affect his overall WAR which could/would be a .75-.5% change either way. He's not going to be a 30+100+300+900 guy. But, defensively, Range wise he should be more than adequate and might even be the best we've had at the position arguably since Carney & DeCinces (If it works out)!..... Comes back to first step laterally and reaction time. As at SS they have the ability to get around the ball and set themselves up for the throw, usually.

Here is what Baseball Reference has for his 2018 projection:

Year Tm Age PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Rel
2018 Proj. 32 504 447 71 119 25 4 20 58 4 1 48 87 .266 .339 .474 .813 212 8 3 1 4 2 81%

If he puts up that type of offensive season next year, I think we will all be very happy.

2 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Here is what Baseball Reference has for his 2018 projection:

Year Tm Age PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Rel
2018 Proj. 32 504 447 71 119 25 4 20 58 4 1 48 87 .266 .339 .474 .813 212 8 3 1 4 2 81%

If he puts up that type of offensive season next year, I think we will all be very happy.

If he puts that up ill be ecstatic.