• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels sign Cozart to 3-year deal

jsnpritchett

14 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Agree about Cowart but he's not a bad backup at 2B/3B defensively and I have not given up that he'll figure out hitting at ML level...did hit over .300 two years in a row at AAA and is a good pinch runner too.

I believe they'll keep Valbuena to rotate at 1B with Pujols and trade Cron since Valbuena gives them more flexibility since he can play 3B also and he bats lefty plus Thaiss may only be a year away at 1B and hits left handed so would replace Valbuena then.

This is a great point.  I think moving Cron for a controllable reliever with upside is the next move.  Valbuena can platoon with Pujols @ 1st and give Cozart a breather and Thaiss can be ready for the big leagues around the ASB if Valbuena falters.

I'm skeptical that he has figured out how to hit at 32; however, some of the advanced statistics point to somewhat of a breakthrough so I hope I'm wrong. Regardless, you can't argue with his defense and the flexibility he brings. Seems like a good dude, good clubhouse guy, easy to root for, and wants to be here. Contract feels like a bit of an overpay, but its not terrible and 3 years isn't bad at all. Don't have to surrender a draft pick. I think his floor for us is very good defense and a mediocre bat; his ceiling is GG defense and an offensive season like last year. He does that, then this could be a steal. Overall, appears to be another low risk/high reward type move. I could get used to this.

I think we’ve seen a bunch of guys turn the corner late in their careers recently.  Justin Turner comes to mind.  That guy was trash before he figured it out late.  Cozart has always at least been solid.  Other then obp. 

Daniel Murphy is another one. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

19 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Okay folks, I'm excited. We have a great group of players. Getting Upton has been an incredible boon to us, as he's been reaching out to players and trying to recruit for him (both Kinsler and Cozart). The clubhouse chemistry should be great and that was a big influence for both Cozart and Kinsler. 

Offensively, our team is night and day better. With Kinsler and Cozart, we have GREATLY improved over last year. And defensively, our pitchers will relish playing with these guys behind them. As Eppler said, we do have the chance to be something special in run prevention. 

I still think that there will be some more work to be done on the pitching side--I still sense that they are trying hard to go to a 6-man rotation, and I won't be surprised if a bullpen arm or two comes here. But Angels fans, this has been one of our best offseasons--better than getting Pujols and Wilson. 

Upton for Assistant GM?

2 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I am sure they can flip him for another minor leaguer.

Ok, sure.  But who cares?  There are literally 100 other guys in the minors/majors who are just like Marte, so the Angels would just be getting some random schmoe from another team's system if it happened.  I guess when I think of "trade target," I think of someone who has actual value.

2 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

I'm skeptical that he has figured out how to hit at 32; however, some of the advanced statistics point to somewhat of a breakthrough so I hope I'm wrong. Regardless, you can't argue with his defense and the flexibility he brings. Seems like a good dude, good clubhouse guy, easy to root for, and wants to be here. Contract feels like a bit of an overpay, but its not terrible and 3 years isn't bad at all. Don't have to surrender a draft pick. I think his floor for us is very good defense and a mediocre bat; his ceiling is GG defense and an offensive season like last year. He does that, then this could be a steal. Overall, appears to be another low risk/high reward type move. I could get used to this.

I agree.  I do think he's our likely second baseman in 2019 and 2020 as well too, although given his positional versatility, he could stick at third if we find a good deal for a 2B.

The other key thing is he provides Simmons-injury insurance.  If, God forbid, something happens to Simmons and he suffers a significant injury, then we have a very legitimate defensive SS who can slide in and take over.  This, IMO, is a very important insurance policy for us.

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think we’ve seen a bunch of guys turn the corner late in their careers recently.  Justin Turner comes to mind.  That guy was trash before he figured it out late.  Cozart has always at least been solid.  Other then obp. 

This.

These moves this off season are very interesting to me, they seem to not only plug the holes now but i get the feeling he has an eye on next off seasons FA class.  It seems clear he wasnt interested in any of the big names right now, and perhaps rightful so as none were perfect. 

Dare i dream that we might see a Trout/Upton/Harper OF?   Since NY got Stanton, they might be out of that derby. 

Or Machado/Donaldson at 3B?  (i think Cozarts long term is as a 2B for some reason)

Question, is he bringing the donkey?

49 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

This is a strong move, not because we are assuming he'll maintain his 2017 offensive production, but because he provides tremendous defensive versatility and gives us options to pursue either a 2B OR a 3B next offseason.  Don't underestimate the value of defensive flexibility.  We are effectively paying him to do two jobs (3B and utility infielder).  This means we don't actually really need a utility infielder on our roster, either.

We can, in turn, trade Cron for a reliever and sign LoMo to play 1B.  

Cozart can play 3B about four times a week, then play 2B another day a week (Kinsler's off day), then SS once a week (Simmons' off day).  Valbuena can play 3B the other 3 days that Cozart is off, plus every now and then at 1B, too.

Lots of options now!

We have Valbueno and Pujols at first.  We don't need another one.   And no they are not benching Pujols......stay in reality.

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Justin Turner had 921 PA with a 92 OPS+ before his breakout season; below average for sure, but with somewhat spotty playing time.  Daniel Murphy has 3619 PA with a 109 OPS plus before his breakout; he was already very good offensively: he just went to another level.

Cozart had 2521 PA with a 82 OPS+ before last year.  That's terrible.  Again, could he replicate last year, or even come down from that a little and still be valuable offensively?  Sure--but it's not likely, even with the underlying improvements that he's shown.

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I agree.  I do think he's our likely second baseman in 2019 and 2020 as well too, although given his positional versatility, he could stick at third if we find a good deal for a 2B.

The other key thing is he provides Simmons-injury insurance.  If, God forbid, something happens to Simmons and he suffers a significant injury, then we have a very legitimate defensive SS who can slide in and take over.  This, IMO, is a very important insurance policy for us.

The 2b market is pretty loaded next year. We have a ton of options now. If Kinsler works out, we can re-sign and maintain status quo. We could move Cozart to 2b next season and go after a 3b. We can keep Cozart at 3b and add a 2b. I think that flexibility, now and over the next 2 seasons, is a big part of the appeal of this.