• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

MLB investigating Ohtani medical info leak

TroutField

46 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The Scioscia frustration on here blinded people, myself included, to Dipussy's many shortcomings ultimately.

Now that I have taken a step back and realized how solid of a job Scioscia did in 2014, 2015, and 2017 (no durable pitching and questionable hitting but yet a nearly .500 team), it makes the whole Scioscia/Dipussy dynamic even more crazy.    Dipussy, the franchise destroyer 

...Is this AO? 

35 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Muddying the waters eh.

Pretty sure he's talking about the initial "Jerry Dipoto may be totally full of shit talk"....  Tyler, MT..  myself....  Blarg too.    There were a few of us that started to openly question why he was getting a free pass from people..    

Man..   those drafts were just so putrid...   Doc was pretty vocal about those too.

31 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

I have to admit, I was taken in by that snake-oil salesman. He talked a great game.

Who the hell wasnt?   I don't think anyone was wrong to have bought into what he was saying -- dude can talk..  I firmly believe his real future is talking baseball on TV....   But we all wanted Jerry to be awesome and he said all the right crap.   Hell, had he just followed up what he said with actions I'd be singing his praises.   It's funny because Eppler got here, got labeled a rube.. especially after he talked down his knowledge of sabermetrics but all he's done since then is create an entire analytics team and infuse the team with all kinds of technology and advance thinking.

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Pretty sure he's talking about the initial "Jerry Dipoto may be totally full of shit talk"....  Tyler, MT..  myself....  Blarg too.    There were a few of us that started to openly question why he was getting a free pass from people..    

Man..   those drafts were just so putrid...   Doc was pretty vocal about those too.

i'm just talking about how Dipoto definitely leaked the Ohtani medical reports.  First person I thought of was Dipoto.

Honestly, I started doubting him late, when he drafted Ward and wasted all of our intl money on Baldoquin.  I definitely remember you guys smelling a rat before most of us did.

I wouldn't go making baseless accusations without some substantial proof. By doing so, you are accusing someone of committing a crime. Just because you don't like Dipoto, that doesn't mean he did in fact leak the information. All the ball clubs knew this, and possibly rival agents who didn't land him as a player may have known about it. The potential pool of suspects is quite large.

As I see it, there are at least 6 possibilities as to who leaked the information.

1) A rival GM/Agent/Coach. This makes sense if you believe that a person such as this would actually release this information out of spite, jealousy, or some other negative impulse. But, if we think about this for a second, that person just committed a crime. Sure, it's not a big crime (although the civil penalties can add up, plus the risk of a civil lawsuit by Ohtani for damaging his reputation which could put millions at risk). The bigger question is, why do it? It's cutting off your head to cure a headache. Baseball is a small industry, and word does get around. Even if it doesn't, aspersions will be cast, and reputations will be tarnished. Lots of players have injuries and illnesses that they don't want the general public to know. Sometimes reporters get to know these conditions and can't comment when obvious decisions are made (or aren't made) during games. If an agent did this, and word got out, how many players will want that agent representing him? If a rival GM leaked this, it would invariably hurt his/her ability to sign a future player as well as putting his baseball career at risk. If some agent/GM/front office person did do this, I hope that s/he does get reprimanded heavily by the league.

2) The Angels themselves leaked it. This is a possibility. The information was presented to all 30 teams, so, it was out there. Maybe to get ahead of the story and to make it a non-issue for Spring Training, they just got it over with and put it out there. This would only have been done with Ohtani's blessing and permission. By making it old news, and releasing it when they did, it got buried. However, if the Angels did this, I don't see why there'd be an investigation by MLB, or, if there was, it would disappear quickly.

3) Ohtani and his agents released it. Same reasoning as the Angels, except this would be done with the Angels' approval. 

4) It was in the press materials that came out already. Since a reporter got ahold of the press materials, maybe a reference to it was in there. Since I haven't seen the materials in detail, I can't say what was or was not in there. I don't think any club would want their entire sales pitch known out there, so I was surprised that it was released. The information could have accidentally come out in the materials, or, when the Angels saw the press information out there from another team, felt that they had no choice but to release it and get ahead of the story. 

5) A person from Japan released it. Maybe a doctor, medical person, etc. in Japan who had knowledge of it released the information. I don't know if there is anything like HIPPA in Japan, so maybe the rules are different there. If that's the case, this may need to be addressed in a different manner.

6) Another person with an issue or vendetta released it. There are always plenty of people seeking their 15 minutes of fame and who have nothing better to do than poke at people who have accomplished more than them. Internet trolls have done a lot of damage over the years, and sadly, will continue to do so. 

So, just because there appears to be a motive for Dipoto to have released this information, and just because it's in vogue to do so around here, doesn't mean you should go jumping to conclusions. I'm keeping an open mind that there are plenty of other potential suspects and will wait for the investigation rather than jumping to conclusions.

41 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I wouldn't go making baseless accusations without some substantial proof. By doing so, you are accusing someone of committing a crime. Just because you don't like Dipoto, that doesn't mean he did in fact leak the information. All the ball clubs knew this, and possibly rival agents who didn't land him as a player may have known about it. The potential pool of suspects is quite large.

As I see it, there are at least 6 possibilities as to who leaked the information.

1) A rival GM/Agent/Coach. This makes sense if you believe that a person such as this would actually release this information out of spite, jealousy, or some other negative impulse. But, if we think about this for a second, that person just committed a crime. Sure, it's not a big crime (although the civil penalties can add up, plus the risk of a civil lawsuit by Ohtani for damaging his reputation which could put millions at risk). The bigger question is, why do it? It's cutting off your head to cure a headache. Baseball is a small industry, and word does get around. Even if it doesn't, aspersions will be cast, and reputations will be tarnished. Lots of players have injuries and illnesses that they don't want the general public to know. Sometimes reporters get to know these conditions and can't comment when obvious decisions are made (or aren't made) during games. If an agent did this, and word got out, how many players will want that agent representing him? If a rival GM leaked this, it would invariably hurt his/her ability to sign a future player as well as putting his baseball career at risk. If some agent/GM/front office person did do this, I hope that s/he does get reprimanded heavily by the league.

2) The Angels themselves leaked it. This is a possibility. The information was presented to all 30 teams, so, it was out there. Maybe to get ahead of the story and to make it a non-issue for Spring Training, they just got it over with and put it out there. This would only have been done with Ohtani's blessing and permission. By making it old news, and releasing it when they did, it got buried. However, if the Angels did this, I don't see why there'd be an investigation by MLB, or, if there was, it would disappear quickly.

3) Ohtani and his agents released it. Same reasoning as the Angels, except this would be done with the Angels' approval. 

4) It was in the press materials that came out already. Since a reporter got ahold of the press materials, maybe a reference to it was in there. Since I haven't seen the materials in detail, I can't say what was or was not in there. I don't think any club would want their entire sales pitch known out there, so I was surprised that it was released. The information could have accidentally come out in the materials, or, when the Angels saw the press information out there from another team, felt that they had no choice but to release it and get ahead of the story. 

5) A person from Japan released it. Maybe a doctor, medical person, etc. in Japan who had knowledge of it released the information. I don't know if there is anything like HIPPA in Japan, so maybe the rules are different there. If that's the case, this may need to be addressed in a different manner.

6) Another person with an issue or vendetta released it. There are always plenty of people seeking their 15 minutes of fame and who have nothing better to do than poke at people who have accomplished more than them. Internet trolls have done a lot of damage over the years, and sadly, will continue to do so. 

So, just because there appears to be a motive for Dipoto to have released this information, and just because it's in vogue to do so around here, doesn't mean you should go jumping to conclusions. I'm keeping an open mind that there are plenty of other potential suspects and will wait for the investigation rather than jumping to conclusions.

Funny, I though this was a message board where opinions could be expressed.  I’m pretty sure non of us is getting sued and DiPoto is a public figure.  And, he has motive since he was probably a finalist for Ohtani and lost and his former employer got him instead.  My money is on him being the one who leaked.  As he showed at the end with the Angels, he lacks emotional intelligence and will do whatever he can to have himself portrayed in a positive light.     

DiPoto is a great example of someone who talks a good game, he’s activity without achievement.  He was unable to build any type of meaningful relationships, either with MS or the players (who supported MS in the infamous “meeting”.  The ENTIRE Scoscia issue is all on him.  Funny how Eppler doesn’t seem to have any issues with MS or hides them very well.   

31 minutes ago, bruin5 said:

Funny, I though this was a message board where opinions could be expressed.  I’m pretty sure non of us is getting sued and DiPoto is a public figure.  And, he has motive since he was probably a finalist for Ohtani and lost and his former employer got him instead.  My money is on him being the one who leaked.  As he showed at the end with the Angels, he lacks emotional intelligence and will do whatever he can to have himself portrayed in a positive light.     

DiPoto is a great example of someone who talks a good game, he’s activity without achievement.  He was unable to build any type of meaningful relationships, either with MS or the players (who supported MS in the infamous “meeting”.  The ENTIRE Scoscia issue is all on him.  Funny how Eppler doesn’t seem to have any issues with MS or hides them very well.   

Wasn't he just expressing his opinion?

48 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Wasn't he just expressing his opinion?

Well, when you telling people what they shouldn't do, I think it's a little more than an "opinion."

Not that he's wrong - but then again, if we couldn't speculatewildly without facts to back it up, well, might as well just shut the board down ... :)

Just now, DCAngelsFan said:

Well, when you telling people what they shouldn't do, I think it's a little more than an "opinion."

Not that he's wrong - but then again, if we couldn't speculatewildly without facts to back it up, well, might as well just shut the board down ... :)

It is just his opinion. He isn't a mod, just another poster giving their opinion.