• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Manny Machado

Turd Ferguson

Yelich would cost an absolute fortune. I'd pay it. We'd be lucky if any of our OF prospects developed into what Yelich is now, and they very well could, but Yelich is doing what Yelich does right now and he's what, 25? Around the same age as Trout? And under a ridiculously favorable contract? I'd throw two OF prospects, an arm, and someone else their way to get that security now while we have a need. 

I'm firmly aware of our needs at 3B and 2B, but I can't say I'm thrilled with our most legitimate 3B targets being an imperfect and likely overpaid Moose, or a stopgap 2B or paying a premium in prospect(s) for Cesar. I'm not against those options but I'm open to taking a different approach to solve a problem rather than just starting a new thread that devolves into the plus and minuses of Moustakas.

Eppler has an idea of what his next move will be *after* whatever his move will be. We don't have that knowledge but it's fun to try and speculate.

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

Was acquiring Simmons an obvious fit when we still had Aybar? We still traded Aybar and prospects for Simmons? Just because it isn't an obvious fit doesn't mean it can't happen if it fits into the puzzle Eppler is trying to solve.

I understand that you believe these players are not in our wheel house and you may very well be right (in fact probably so). For instance I think Christian Yelich is completely our of our reach but I don't try to shut down anyone who brings it up, I simply point out the very high price it would take to acquire him over and over (are you listening @totdprods ? :D ).

Acquiring and extending Machado I think would be very difficult to do. Also acquiring him long-term in free agency next year will be very hard to do. Giving him a long-term contract with opt-out's is something the Angels could do but it would still be difficult to pull off. Again it is all very hard and we might be better off spreading that money around at 2B, 3B, and in the bullpen for instance.

It's fun to talk about as long as everyone understands the likely constraints and challenges involved and understand that from a probability perspective the Angels chances are probably less than 10% and probably closer to less than 5% in regard to Machado.

while Eppler is far from predictable, he seems to have a method in terms of how he acquires players via trade.  He's willing to pay a fair amount for someone young and club controlled with some major league success.  He's also ok with acquiring a 1yr stop gap with limited cost.  When a superstar boras client with 1 yr of club control is made available, it seems like close to a 0% chance that he'd be an Eppler target considering the current state of the franchise with multiple holes to fill and an up an coming farm.   So why we didn't expect Simmons, it makes sense now knowing Eppler's mo.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

while Eppler is far from predictable, he seems to have a method in terms of how he acquires players via trade.  He's willing to pay a fair amount for someone young and club controlled with some major league success.  He's also ok with acquiring a 1yr stop gap with limited cost.  When a superstar boras client with 1 yr of club control is made available, it seems like close to a 0% chance that he'd be an Eppler target considering the current state of the franchise with multiple holes to fill and an up an coming farm.   So why we didn't expect Simmons, it makes sense now knowing Eppler's mo.  

Right.  We gave up our top pitching prospect (Newcomb) in exchange for Simmons, so it does show Eppler is willing to move prospects for "the right price," which is why I can see him trading for Cesar Hernandez, unless the Phillies have an outrageous asking price.  Hernandez fits that same mold - young, cost-controlled, patient, solid defensively.  It's okay to dig into the farm system a bit to acquire someone like that at a position in which we have no real talent in our pipeline to cover.  This is why I'd be okay digging into the farm system to acquire a young catching prospect too - someone in their mid 20s who can be part of the "core" that we have - Trout, Simmons, Ohtani, Calhoun, Hernandez (if acquired), etc.

8 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Are we talking in general or were you referring to someone specific. In general I agree yes, particularly with the history Boras has with Moreno.

I like Yelich, but he doesn't make much sense given that the OF is the least of the Angels' problems. Upton-Trout-Calhoun is pretty damn good, and then you have waves of prospects coming up over the next few years, starting with Jones in 2019 (I see Hermosillo as more of a 4th outfielder, and a very good one).

I'm thinking Eppler is, and should, focus his time and energy where it is more needed - 2B, 1B, 3B, the pitching staff. 

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Maldonado is such a freakin' beast. Extend him. 

I love Maldonado, but catching is extremely grueling.  It would be prudent to have another elite defensive catcher to help share the responsibilities and/or get ready to take over in case of a decline/injury/etc.  Having a two-headed elite defensive catching tandem would be ideal, as it'd able us to rest Maldonado a bit more during the year and not wear him down.  I remember last August/September, when we were making our playoff run, we literally ran Maldonado out there daily.  That's a sure-fire way to burn out your catcher.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I love Maldonado, but catching is extremely grueling.  It would be prudent to have another elite defensive catcher to help share the responsibilities and/or get ready to take over in case of a decline/injury/etc.  Having a two-headed elite defensive catching tandem would be ideal, as it'd able us to rest Maldonado a bit more during the year and not wear him down.  I remember last August/September, when we were making our playoff run, we literally ran Maldonado out there daily.  That's a sure-fire way to burn out your catcher.

Plus side is he's been part-time his whole career. He's got life in him for another couple years.

i wouldn't even entertain the idea of trading for him (machado) unless he agreed to sign an extension with me.

but this guy is a gigantic doosh so i probably wouldn't trade for him or sign him next winter in the first place.

Edited by Tank

3 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Strasburg signed an extension and so did Weaver and both were clients of Borass.  True, most of his players go to FA but if the Angels had a 48 hour window to work out an extension with MM, I'd be open to it.  We would finally have a freakin 3rd baseman to replace Glaus.

The problem is you cannot have 20+ million dollar contracts at every position. As for us, we need a solid glove who can get on base. Same for 2nd base. Putting 2 guys who can play legit defense along side Simba would be a dream come true for our pitching staff and would set up the middle of our lineup perfectly.

48 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

The problem is you cannot have 20+ million dollar contracts at every position. As for us, we need a solid glove who can get on base. Same for 2nd base. Putting 2 guys who can play legit defense along side Simba would be a dream come true for our pitching staff and would set up the middle of our lineup perfectly.

We don't.

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

Boras.

Hard pass for me either way.

He is represented by Dan Lozano of MVP sports.  Borass is not his agent.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/trading-manny-machado-orioles-rumors.html

It’s abundantly clear that the Angels have their sights set on returning to prominence in the AL West sooner rather than later. While they can’t offer Marte time at shortstop with Andrelton Simmons in tow, adding Machado would give the Halos one of the best defensive shortstop/third base combos of this generation. The Angels have an improving but still-not-elite farm, but they have some arms on the big league roster that could at least intrigue the Orioles. Andrew Heaney is coming back from Tommy John surgery but has four years of remaining control. Tyler Skaggs has had his own injury issues but has three years of control.

The article has other teams in the mix with probably better offers but hopefully, Eppler at least tries.  I'd just like to point out that if Heaney/Skaggs and whatever else can get it done, the Angels would have essentially traded Kendrick and Trumbo for MM.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

i wouldn't even entertain the idea of trading for him (machado) unless he agreed to sign an extension with me.

but this guy is a gigantic doosh so i probably wouldn't trade for him or sign him next winter in the first place.

This.  Bridwell and Skaggs for Machado.  Machado would need to do two things: sign an extension, and stay at 3B.

33 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

He is represented by Dan Lozano of MVP sports.  Borass is not his agent.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/trading-manny-machado-orioles-rumors.html

It’s abundantly clear that the Angels have their sights set on returning to prominence in the AL West sooner rather than later. While they can’t offer Marte time at shortstop with Andrelton Simmons in tow, adding Machado would give the Halos one of the best defensive shortstop/third base combos of this generation. The Angels have an improving but still-not-elite farm, but they have some arms on the big league roster that could at least intrigue the Orioles. Andrew Heaney is coming back from Tommy John surgery but has four years of remaining control. Tyler Skaggs has had his own injury issues but has three years of control.

The article has other teams in the mix with probably better offers but hopefully, Eppler at least tries.  I'd just like to point out that if Heaney/Skaggs and whatever else can get it done, the Angels would have essentially traded Kendrick and Trumbo for MM.

Yep like I posted earlier, start with Heaney and Skaggs. Both cheap and under control. Discuss Calhoun and Barria and you may have yourself one solid package. 

You need to give up quality to get quality. No way in hell Duquette takes Bridwell back in a trade for their superstar. Duquette would look like the ultimate moron bringing back Bridwell when he just gave him away for nothing last year. 

Machado is a top 10 position player in baseball. If we trade for him it won’t be with the intentions of having him for one year. Arte will spend for the right player and with all the extra venue from Ohtani, Machado could be that guy.