• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017 MLB Winter Meetings thread

Ohtaniland

Has Eppler made any big free agent signings (not counting Ohtani because the money wasn't that big of a factor there)? He seems to like to stick to trades and fringe free agents. That may be more about budget than anything else, but I'm really curious to see how he does in the FA market.

1 minute ago, krAbs said:

Has Eppler made any big free agent signings (not counting Ohtani because the money wasn't that big of a factor there)? He seems to like to stick to trades and fringe free agents. That may be more about budget than anything else, but I'm really curious to see how he does in the FA market.

I’d count Upton has a big FA signing no?

1 minute ago, krAbs said:

I know Upton was a trade but he was also able to opt out. I would almost consider that as a FA signing. To me that's a forgotten huge move already shored up. Having Upton in LF for the whole season will do wonders for our run production. We will likely be in more games just based on offensive production than we were a year ago.

7 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Why? They have plenty of money and are only a year (probably) away from contending.

If you're a year or 2 from contending why would you want a pitcher that's probably only got 2-3 years of legitimate production but requiring a 5-6 year contract. You ultimately burden yourself just when you are entering your contending window.

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

I’d count Upton has a big FA signing no?

You're right, but I think I was thinking more contract negotiation. He has seemed (to me) able to get remarkable deals from other teams, so I think it will be interesting to see if he can manage to get some creative/good deals from free agents as well. I guess Upton could have opted out and re-signed, but it still feels a bit different than, say, getting moose to sign like...4 year/50 million or something (not saying that's going to happen, but that sort of thing).

Just now, krAbs said:

You're right, but I think I was thinking more contract negotiation. He has seemed (to me) able to get remarkable deals from other teams, so I think it will be interesting to see if he can manage to get some creative/good deals from free agents as well. I guess Upton could have opted out and re-signed, but it still feels a bit different than, say, getting moose to sign like...4 year/50 million or something (not saying that's going to happen, but that sort of thing).

Look at it this way, we traded 2 fringe prospects to get 5 years of LF locked down at a reasonable AAV. What would he have gotten on the open market considering he'd probably be one of the more desirable outfielders available?

2 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

If you're a year or 2 from contending why would you want a pitcher that's probably only got 2-3 years of legitimate production but requiring a 5-6 year contract. You ultimately burden yourself just when you are entering your contending window.

Arrieta serves two purposes for them now: He gives them a marquee starter to anchor their rotation and who should still be effective into their window of contention, and, probably more importantly, mentors a young, talented staff.

And they've got money to burn.

2 minutes ago, Tyler said:

- Reed is just one of those guys that literally every time I watch him pitch he is blowing a save or getting rocked. 

- Machado wanting to move to SS is worrisome, trading for him... he seems to be all about the money. SS get $$$$

One of many reasons I prefer Arenado.

6 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

With Boras repping most of the high profile FA's, not a surprise

The good news for us is that shouldn't effect the 2B, 3B, SP and RP markets. 

Let the Giants, Red Sox and Cardinals battle it out for JD Martinez. 

If the Yankees are smart they go with their youth at 2B and 3B. I can't see them go back over the luxury tax for the likes of Moustakas at 3B.