• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

A possibility regarding third base

Angelsjunky

22 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Thanks for the props AJ.  

While I would love to have Machado I only see that happening if he has another off year and signs for far less money than you mentioned.   Personally, I don't think he cracks the 300m barrier.  probably right up against it.   Even still, I think the system is set up as such that having more than one player with an AAV over 30m creates a fair amount of restriction. I think it will be like that going forward.  The penalties in the new CBA are now severe enough to deter the large market teams from just paying some extra cash.  

The value of baseball franchises isn't going to continue to appreciate at the rate it has been.  Once it levels off, we won't see teams taking on debt to increase payroll.  Ie there will be less borrowing against the future value of teams.  

I think teams are mostly just going to get smarter in the way they invest. I doubt the investing itself ceases or slows. Players will realize teams are shying away from big deals to 30 year old players and they'll instead begin signing extensions at age 26 in order to lock in greater earning value. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Perhaps,  I find it hard to believe anyone walks away from that kind of money ego/legacy or not.  i think more likely some kind of personal services deal or something to offset it. 
Regardless it still leaves us with no 3B for 18.

If we sign or trade for a quality 2B, we could and may stick with Valbuena to man 3B in 2018. His projection for 2018 is  228/.317/.439/.756 with 20 HRs. It's not ideal but it ii's workable with the upgrades at LF and 2B over 2017. We still may be able to upgrade 2B and 3B who knows for sure.

3 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

If we sign or trade for a quality 2B, we could and may stick with Valbuena to man 3B in 2018. His projection for 2018 is  228/.317/.439/.756 with 20 HRs. It's not ideal but it ii's workable with the upgrades at LF and 2B over 2017. We still may be able to upgrade 2B and 3B who knows for sure.

I'm higher than most on Valbuena - I'm happy with him at 3B, provided the 2B upgrade is strong and we have a good UT IF and 4th OF in the fold.

I think the only way Pujols retires before his contract expires is if he has another shitty year like 2017 and Arte and Eppler offer him a buy-out that includes all or most of the remaining contract. Probably the most they could knock off would be one year's salary (2021). Alternately they could also offer to re-configure his salary in a Bonilla-esque way. Like so:

We know he's playing--and getting paid for--2018. That leaves 2019-21 at $87 million total. Let's say he sucks in 2018 and is asked to gracefully retire. Let's also say that he won't retire unless he gets all of his money. There are creative ways to spread that out more evenly, so that it doesn't cripple the team for another three years. Like so:

2019: Half salary ($14m)

2020: Half salary ($14.5m)

2021: Half salary ($15m)

2022-31: "Personal services contract." $5 million a year (the original $10 million, plus $40 divided by 10 of his player contract)

There's a few million unaccounted for, but that cold easily be tacted on or Albert can just be happy with being paid $95 million for doing nothing.

On the other hand, if he bounces back to 2013-16 level--which is possible, at least for a year or two--then he's reasonably useful, if enormously overpaid, and the whole thing gets pushed back. Even if he insists on playing out the rest of his contract, I do think his playing time will be whittled down, from maybe 130-140 games in 2018, to 100-120 games in 2019 to 80-100 games in 2020, to 50-80 games in 2021. He could be a glorified pinch-hitter/bench coach for the last couple years.

12 hours ago, ettin said:

I talked about this in the Primer Series and Machado is achievable by front-loading his contract and giving him at least one opt-out after 2020 (or 2021 or both). You pay him a lot to play here in 2019 and 2020 and then let him hit free agency. You clear payroll and aren't obligated to him unless he gets injured which is why you lay insurance onto Manny as well to mitigate that risk.

Machado is not only a target next off-season but THIS off-season. More likely at the trade deadline which is why Eppler is potentially comfortable rolling Valbuena out there to start 2018.

He easily meets the defensive profile and will probably have a bounce back year. On top of that the 3B market now and mid-season will likely be depressed and we might have a J.D. Martinez to the Diamondbacks trade where they don't get as much out of his value due to a lack of demand.

We are still not done but perhaps some of these fireworks will be delayed until mid-season or next off-season.

I don’t think you can ever be comfortable with Val-nobueno at 3B ;)

My point is that Valbuena and Hernandez isn’t enough to fill the void on offense imo.

11 hours ago, ScottT said:

I dont think Pujols will give a f ck about his career avg dropping below .300

I think its possible he bails early, though.

I almost think if we went crazy and bought a ring this year (which is easier said than done), it could lead to him retiring earlier. Where if it looks like were building up to it, he might stay waiting to get one more before hes done.

26 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

I don’t think you can ever be comfortable with Val-nobueno at 3B ;)

My point is that Valbuena and Hernandez isn’t enough to fill the void on offense imo.

Personally I think he had a down year TD. He was tied for the 4th highest change in exit velocity (a positive one, up). He has shown much better on-base skills and he does have a lot of power as evidenced by his blazing 2nd half last year.

Is he a good long-term solution? Not really. But to start the year I'm okay with that particularly when you look at the potential 3B that could be available at the deadline (or now even here in the off-season) in Machado and Donaldson (and perhaps others like Arenado, Lamb, and Rendon might potentially be available too).

We could do a lot worse I guess.

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Your clubhouse leaders right now are Trout, Pujols, Calhoun and Simmons. It isn't coincidence that they're all hard working, humble, good teammates. That's by design.

The additions such as Maldonado and Upton only add to that team identity. Shohei Ohtani will fit right in. 

So whoever they add, I think they either have to fit that, or be the sort of teammate that at least won't get in the way of that.

You have to wonder if this (above quote from scotty@AW) helped sell Ohtani on signing with the Angels.

With regard to 3B - after reading the following  in MLBTrade Rumors - "Signing Moustakas would cost the Giants two draft picks (their second- and fifth-highest choices) in 2018 and $1MM in international bonus pool space" - would this also apply to the Angels signing Moustakas?

If so then don't see Eppler going after Moustakas.

Starting to see signing Cozart for 2B as a real positive - he could be a back up at SS in case Simmons got hurt or needed a day off and the defensive quality wouldn't suffer that much. 

And with him as back up SS, if the Angels go with a six man rotation - and it seems likely that will try that - which means having only three utility players - catcher, outfield and infield (possibly Cowart since he can man 2B and 3B) in order to keep the maximum # in the bullpen. For whether it's a five or six man rotation you've still have to have the same number in the bullpen since their usage wouldn't change either way.

3 hours ago, ksangel said:

You have to wonder if this (above quote from scotty@AW) helped sell Ohtani on signing with the Angels.

With regard to 3B - after reading the following  in MLBTrade Rumors - "Signing Moustakas would cost the Giants two draft picks (their second- and fifth-highest choices) in 2018 and $1MM in international bonus pool space" - would this also apply to the Angels signing Moustakas?

If so then don't see Eppler going after Moustakas.

The Angels would lose 500K of their international budget and a 2nd rounder....   I have a hard time believing the team would want to part with the pool money both in either area.