• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels sign Maitan

vladdy#27

10 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

That swing is pretty long.

And the footwork in the transition from field to throw is absolutely atrocious.

This cat is raw.

Based on his size I'm guessing hes going to have a lot of power/swing and miss to his game. He looks like he has a better swing from the right side than left side. He looks a lot like a power hitting 3rd baseman.

15 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I personally don't have a "negative view." I'm also very happy with this signing, but am also cautious.

@Scotty@AW, good stuff. I do wonder, though, how many prospects were compared to players like Cabrera/Jones/Jeter at age 16-17 and didn't turn out into much. Probably far more than turned into Hall of Famers.

None that I remember.

12 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

One way to look at this: the amount the Angels spent on this guy was what you'd pay for the 30th pick in the draft. If your 30th pick in the draft is immediately even the 110th best prospect in baseball, that's pretty good.

Quit using logic...

Thanks for you input, insight and levelheadedness.

14 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

One way to look at this: the amount the Angels spent on this guy was what you'd pay for the 30th pick in the draft. If your 30th pick in the draft is immediately even the 110th best prospect in baseball, that's pretty good.

You can't really compare the international market and the draft. A better comparison would be to look at what players the Angels might be missing out of signing because of this. We haven't seen much from the Angels on the international market, so it's quite possible that the answer is 'not much.'

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

You can't really compare the international market and the draft. A better comparison would be to look at what players the Angels might be missing out of signing because of this. We haven't seen much from the Angels on the international market, so it's quite possible that the answer is 'not much.'

I hear Baldoquin has a brother.....

17 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What percentage of their international signing pool did they spend on him? Draft pool money percentage compared to international signing pool money percentage might be the better comparison than just $ for $.

9 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

What percentage of their international signing pool did they spend on him? Draft pool money percentage compared to international signing pool money percentage might be the better comparison than just $ for $.

The pool hasn't been set yet, but it'll probably be $4.75M. They used $2M of that. Most teams sign maybe 5-8 international guys to bonuses that count against the pool.

In the draft, your top pick gets about half of the amount that is spread over the top 10 rounds.

(And I should add, you are allowed to trade for more international money. You can't trade for more draft money.)

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The pool hasn't been set yet, but it'll probably be $4.75M. They used $2M of that. Most teams sign maybe 5-8 international guys to bonuses that count against the pool.

In the draft, your top pick gets about half of the amount that is spread over the top 10 rounds.

Thanks.

56 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I didn't see solid contact in any of those videos...I hope they square this kid up. I'm not a scout but I didn't see anything to be impressed about.

my exact same thoughts.

hopefully the professionals have seen things that will come to fruition.