• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels sign Maitan

vladdy#27

Here's John Sickels from a month ago, in the Braves top 20 prospects:

13) Kevin Maitan, SS, Grade B/B-: Age 17, signed from Venezuela for $4,250,000 in 2016; drew praise as a future superstar as an amateur but struggled in pro debut, hitting .220/.273/.323 with nine walks, 39 strikeouts in 127 at-bats in Appalachian League, also had problems on defense; scouting reports weren’t much better than the numbers, with bat speed, strike zone judgment, physical conditioning, and overall athleticism all worse than advertised; he is still very young of course and was making a big jump in competition but not everyone responds well to being rushed and Maitan did not; likely moving to third base; fall reports say he is in better physical condition now but still take a “wait and see” attitude with the bat.

It should be noted that some Hall of Famers like Chipper Jones and Derek Jeter played poorly in rookie ball without it harming their long-term outlook but even so it is clear that Maitan will need more time than expected.

I’m more concerned about the reported change in his body type and reports of swing problems than I am in the raw numbers. He still has a high ceiling, but higher risk than it looked a year ago; good example of why it is wise to be wary of hype regarding 16 year olds. ETA 2022.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Cool, where’s Otani signing

Without giving too much away, I was told the Angels are very interested in Maitan, were working some things out regarding their offseason plans/budget and would be seen as a front runner for Maitan along with the Twins.

As for Ohtani, I dunno wherever you think he'll sign sounds like a solid guess to me.

Ohtani is a mystery and will remain a mystery until he signs. I'm glad we're in the final seven, and have a little glimmer of hope that he'll sign with the Angels, but am unsure if it is either intuition or wishful thinking.

Maitan improves the Angels farm, which can only improve our chances of getting Ohtani - if only slightly. 

32 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

13) Kevin Maitan, SS, Grade B/B-: Age 17, signed from Venezuela for $4,250,000 in 2016; drew praise as a future superstar as an amateur but struggled in pro debut, hitting .220/.273/.323 with nine walks, 39 strikeouts in 127 at-bats in Appalachian League, also had problems on defense; scouting reports weren’t much better than the numbers, with bat speed, strike zone judgment, physical conditioning, and overall athleticism all worse than advertised; he is still very young of course and was making a big jump in competition but not everyone responds well to being rushed and Maitan did not; likely moving to third base; fall reports say he is in better physical condition now but still take a “wait and see” attitude with the bat.

It should be noted that some Hall of Famers like Chipper Jones and Derek Jeter played poorly in rookie ball without it harming their long-term outlook but even so it is clear that Maitan will need more time than expected.

I’m more concerned about the reported change in his body type and reports of swing problems than I am in the raw numbers. He still has a high ceiling, but higher risk than it looked a year ago; good example of why it is wise to be wary of hype regarding 16 year olds. ETA 2022.

17 and away from Family and friends for the first time..Maybe, a little homesick..Also, it a job at that point! Maybe, should have held him there until he was 18.... But, maybe the Braves were also trying to push him along a little quicker than we might. Give him a couple and see where he ends up.

Although, Kids body structure changes from 13-20 also part of the growth body composition, I personally was like a bear up in the winter down in the summer still happens more to being active than being in the weight room back in those days. I knew I had to put on a little extra as during the season with as much running I would do my body structure would change completely. Also, in the winter I would do more weights on my lower half as well.

27 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Kid isn't even 18 and a spent his first season of pro ball in Danville, VA as a kid from Venezuela.  He started in the gulf coast and was promoted right away.  so basically it would be like a 17yo spending the season at Orem.  The closest person we had was Adell who is a full year older and didn't play a position.

Maitan played SS and tried to switch hit as the youngest kid in league.  

That's quite a few adjustments to make out of the gate.  I'm gonna give him a pass.  Frankly, it looks like they pushed him a bit fast.  Should have left him in the GCL 

Kid went from living in a country where even the wealthy are struggling to get foodstuffs to one where there is a McDonalds every three blocks...   He got fat....     I'm more concerned about his swing having gone to shit than the body stuff...     He gets a mulligan from me too.

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Kid went from living in a country where even the wealthy are struggling to get foodstuffs to one where there is a McDonalds every three blocks...   He got fat....     I'm more concerned about his swing having gone to shit than the body stuff...     He gets a mulligan from me.

Agreed, I would almost give him 2 years... 18 & 19 seasons that would put him at a JUCO level player and a Sophomore at a 4 year school to see development wise where he would be closer to positional wise. Even if he ends him working his swing out but ends up projecting to a DH/1B/LF like Sano I don't have issue with it! 

With Thaiss and others.... It gives us an area of strength to deal from in the future!

37 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I wonder if the Angels put him in extended minor league spring training then AZL or Orem, or if they throw him right into A? Based upon that Fangraphs report, my guess is the former. 

He'll be 18 in February, so 2018 is his age 18 year.

I'm thinking Orem after extended ST.   Make sure he masters the upper reaches of rookie ball, and then promote him to Burlington.

30 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

17 years old. His physical body isn't even fully developed and the brain isn't developed until around 21 years old. Plenty of time for this kid to learn and develop. 

I may Craig again but this whole borrowing from next year's IBP money thing was something I hadn't heard of before so I went and researched it and found this: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/process-for-signing-prospects-stripped-from-braves.html

Initially when I read that I thought it meant this year's bonus pool money or $200K whichever the team decided to use but in actuality it says that you can borrow from next year's bonus pool money to use on the Braves prospects only.

Really great move by Eppler here. It was a great opportunity to add an impact prospect at 1/2 the price so whether Maitan pans out or not this was a great tactical move and well worth the risk involved (very little basically).

1 hour ago, Turd Ferguson said:

The scouting reports are a concern as are reports that he didn't stay in shape, but I think you have to consider that he was 17 playing professional ball -- he's essentially a HS Junior. On top of that, I'm sure there was a bit of culture shock. I agree that #1 might be a bit overboard, but in terms of upside he may have the most in the system.

The fact that he is 17 should nullify most of the concerns from the reports.  As long as he is a coach-able and hard-working player, this is a great move.  Let's hope the kid learns to play the game before he is 24.....which gives him 6 years in player development.  Holy crap....Eppler is only getting better at this GM thing.

20 minutes ago, ettin said:

I may Craig again but this whole borrowing from next year's IBP money thing was something I hadn't heard of before so I went and researched it and found this: https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/process-for-signing-prospects-stripped-from-braves.html

Initially when I read that I thought it meant this year's bonus pool money or $200K whichever the team decided to use but in actuality it says that you can borrow from next year's bonus pool money to use on the Braves prospects only.

Really great move by Eppler here. It was a great opportunity to add an impact prospect at 1/2 the price so whether Maitan pans out or not this was a great tactical move and well worth the risk involved (very little basically).

Best possible analysis of the transaction. Great move.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Good news, but that Fangraphs report is rather worrisome. It does sound like he'll eventually play 3B.

I would not rank him #1 over Adell, Jones, and maybe Marsh. Top five, yes, but we need to see how he looks above Rookie ball.

Rookie ball is pretty tough. According to baldoquin.

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Obviously he's still a very good prospect, I just think some caution is warranted. 

Look at this way. His biggest comps, Miguel Cabrera, Chipper Jones, Derek Jeter, all struggled in their first taste of Rookie Ball.

Or more specifically, Cabrera was reported to be less athletic, less concerned with physical fitness, and more lackadaisical (but still very willing and coachable), Chipper was seen as more raw, and less likely to be the next Cal Ripken. Jeter was seen as more of a defense-first prospect.

Nothing has changed. When Maitan was 16, scouts believed an eventual move to 3B was likely. His power did not equal Sano or Cabrera's but was greater than Chipper's at age 18. And now Maitan's move to 3B is necessitated.

Maitan didn't meet the huge expectations following his mega-signing bonus at age 17. But he's still the generational talent he was before.

He made some mistakes (needed to shorten his swing which he was working on and thus the reported poor mechanics, also needed to follow a fitness and nutrition program). 

But prospects aren't ranked because of what they did at 17. They're ranked based off what we believe they can do between ages 20-40. 

Maitan's future is still brighter than anyone in our system not named Adell. But because of the circumstances he'll rank a couple spots lower. 

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Kid went from living in a country where even the wealthy are struggling to get foodstuffs to one where there is a McDonalds every three blocks...   He got fat....     I'm more concerned about his swing having gone to shit than the body stuff...     He gets a mulligan from me too.

Went from playing in Florida (GCL Braves play at Disney World) where there's a large Hispanic speaking population to Danville, Va., population 40K, which isn't close to any city in Virginia with 1% Hispanic speaking population and a Hardee's every block (not McDonald's) with their 2/3 lb. thick burger.

fatburger.png.ba33f78c7d75fed09ce7021c9211ee43.png

And he goes from little money to a millionaire at 17 to boot...sure recipe for failure.

Good signing for a Angels farm system that was light on high impact infield prospects.