• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Weaver gets into the Angels HOF?

notherhalo

1 hour ago, Dick B Back said:

So if Vlad gets voted in and goes in with an Angels uni, do you retire the number and tell Trout he's outta luck and has to pick another number?

You retire No. 27, but Trout gets "grandfathered" in and still gets to wear the number as long as he pleases. The Yankees did the same with Mariano Rivera's No. 42 after baseball unanimously retired Jackie Robinson's number.

2 hours ago, Tank said:

it's not even arguable. 

here, educate yourself a bit: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/ryanno01.shtml

Was lazy to look at baseball reference when I first posted on this thread. With that being said, looking at it, Ryan had 4 great seasons and 2 good seasons with the Angels. I know Weaver was great in 2006 but was also great from 2010-2012, so that is four great seasons for Weaver as an Angel. Weave was still darn good in 2013 and 2014. So he also had 4 great seasons and 2 good seasons as an Angel like Ryan. I would still give Weaver the slight edge though because of ERA+. Weaver's two best ERA+ were 177 and 156. Ryan's best ERA+ as an Angel was 141.

so you're going to boil down ryan's angel career to simply his ERA+? Wow, i guess you are lazy.

i strongly suggest you look at his K's, complete games, and IP. Throw in the four no-hitters, just for laughs, too. And then, talk to someone who went to the stadium and watched him pitch in person and the excitement of watching him live and in person, not to mention the televised games. 

Weaver was a good pitcher here, and no one would try to argue differently. But better than Ryan, even by a slight margin? It's not even close, especially using a modern metric like ERA+.

Oh, and did we mention that Ryan is in the HOF largely from his accomplishments as a Halo? Maybe that's worth mentioning too. 

3 hours ago, Tank said:

so you're going to boil down ryan's angel career to simply his ERA+? Wow, i guess you are lazy.

i strongly suggest you look at his K's, complete games, and IP. Throw in the four no-hitters, just for laughs, too. And then, talk to someone who went to the stadium and watched him pitch in person and the excitement of watching him live and in person, not to mention the televised games. 

Weaver was a good pitcher here, and no one would try to argue differently. But better than Ryan, even by a slight margin? It's not even close, especially using a modern metric like ERA+.

Oh, and did we mention that Ryan is in the HOF largely from his accomplishments as a Halo? Maybe that's worth mentioning too. 

Difference is that Ryan also had a lot more great years than Weaver but with other teams. If Weaver had like 5-6 more great years, he would be a HOF as well.

On 12/3/2017 at 1:29 PM, Angelsjunky said:

I'd rate the all-time best Angels pitchers as follows (Angels careers only):

1. Nolan Ryan

2. Chuck Finley

3. Jered Weaver

4. Mike Witt

5. Frank Tanana

6. John Lackey

7. Dean Chance

8. Mark Langston

After that it gets dicey. Anyhow, even if you're more bullish on Jered, he still belongs in the top 5 all-time pitchers, so if the top 5 all-time Angels starters don't belong in the Angels Hall of Fame, I don't know who does.

How does Joe Blanton not make this list??!

26 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Good call.

Who meant more to the org, franky or percy?

That's a really hard question.  Although probably unpopular here,  I'll say slight edge to franky. What he did in 2002 was historic.  He then went on as an elite closer during our best era.  

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

That's a really hard question.  Although probably unpopular here,  I'll say slight edge to franky. What he did in 2002 was historic.  He then went on as an elite closer during our best era.  

Good point. I cant really say. 

Krod is the easier answer, but is that because he was here for the good years? Percy was a beast pre 2002. And one of fhe team leaders. 

Tough call

On 12/4/2017 at 1:56 PM, Taylor said:

You retire No. 27, but Trout gets "grandfathered" in and still gets to wear the number as long as he pleases. The Yankees did the same with Mariano Rivera's No. 42 after baseball unanimously retired Jackie Robinson's number.

yankees also did this with #8 (bill dickey and yogi berra).