• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels, RP Blake Wood Avoid Arbitration

totdprods

8 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Bullpen starting to run out of space. Wood, Parker, Bedrosian, Parades, Johnson, Middleton, Noe Ramirez, Alvarez...not much space left.

And only Middleton and Paredes have options. Which could mean they start in SLC regardless just for the sake of depth, and let the optionless guys fight for their spot after Opening Day.

A couple other routes they can take for the pen..

1) stick mostly with what we have and go heavy on adding more unheralded young relievers with options to round out depth rather than established arms

2) dangle option-less Bedrosian in a trade to fill a bat as he has some legit trade value, and then sign Addison Reed to replace Cam's spot in pen

3) outright Alvarez, maybe Noe, in a risky move to see if they make it through waivers, and replace with more vet FA RPs 

13 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Bullpen starting to run out of space. Wood, Parker, Bedrosian, Parades, Johnson, Middleton, Noe Ramirez, Alvarez...not much space left.

Don't forget Tropeano and J.C. potentially in that mix. In fact we may be done with relief acquisitions unless we trade one of our better guys like Bedrosian away.

29 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Its a really interesting group. There are a ton of huge upside high risk guys in there. Seems like wood, parker, bedrosian, johnson, and middleton all have closer upside, but parker is the only one putting up closer numbers. Its a lot like our rotation, actually. Kinda seems like that's how Eppler thinks: high risk-high reward guys who you can get on the cheap side, and stock up a ton of them.

It worked last year ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am open to the idea of flipping Cam for a young infielder and allocating some of the money for a bat for an arm with a little more track record like Reed. 

Someone like Abad, McGee, Liriano, Siegrist, Watson, Ross, or even Perkins would be more intriguing in Alvarez's role for varying reasons. 

45 minutes ago, wopphil said:

any announcement on who the closer will be? 

and is bailey signed for next year?

Our closer will be whoever pitches the best.  Johnson's been there and done that, and if last year was just an aberration, I think he'd be first in line.  He could be elite.  Parker definitely seems to be able to handle it.  Bedrosian, Middleton, Wood and JC Ramirez definitely have the stuff to be dominant closers themselves. 

I really like the look of this bullpen.  A lot can go right, and given the volatility of many elite relievers (Ken Giles, Cam Bedrosian), that's about all you can ask for.  Proven relievers are in short supply and the general consensus is those that are proven, it's only a matter of time before they lose it. 

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

I must confess, I do not understand this.  Every time I saw Blake Wood pitch, he looked like a bp pitcher throwing straight pitches over the heart of the plate.

This is all you need to understand: 22K, 4BB, 17IP.

I also recall a couple games he was great for one inning and then got torched in the second. I think he probably gave up 2/3 of his runs in a couple second innings. He may be a guy who needs to stick to one inning.

35 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I also recall a couple games he was great for one inning and then got torched in the second. I think he probably gave up 2/3 of his runs in a couple second innings. He may be a guy who needs to stick to one inning.

Thanks.

19 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Please CC this to Scioscia. Thanks in advance.