• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

5 minutes ago, tomsred said:

Also, maybe props to the Twins for getting two good prospects by playing the Angels and Mariners off against each other.

That would be funny if they called each front office with a bad japanese accent (like jerry lewis when they let him be asian in movies), and said we want to sign with you, but we need more money first.

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

That would be funny if they called each front office with a bad japanese accent (like jerry lewis when they let him be asian in movies), and said we want to sign with you, but we need more money first.

Ha. Nice!

Just for comparison

Ohtani (Age 18-23)

GS 82 IP 543 H/9 6.4 ERA 2.52 K/9 10.3 BB/9 3.3 WHIP 1.08 (6.6 IP per start)

Darvish (Age 18-24)

GS 162 IP 1268 H/9 6.5 ERA 1.99 K/9 8.9 BB/9 2.4 WHIP 0.99  (7.8 IP per start)

Tanaka (Age 18-24)

GS 172 IP 1315 H/9 8.1 ERA 2.30 K/9 8.5 BB/9 1.5 WHIP 1.11 (7.7 IP per start)

Maeda (Age 20-27)

GS 217 IP 1509 H/9 7.5 ERA 2.39 K/9 7.4 BB/9 1.9 WHIP 1.05 (7.0 IP per start)

Also, this is another example of Billy being aggressive for a player he feels strongly about.  A 23yo #1 starter and the potential for a lot more at a fraction of the cost something like his talents would normally bring in.  I learned my lesson on Simmons.  When Billy has a chance to acquire a young, club controlled star player, let him do what he has to and trust it.  

And by 'big guns', I am thinking Chuck means Trout.  

36 minutes ago, zenmaster said:

If we don't get him I'd love for something dumb to happen. Like he announces an 8th team came in and really impressed him and he will be spending his time in Tampa with the Rays.

I'm taking my talents to South.... side. 

Some teams are complaining about the process.

Some MLB front offices involved in the sweepstakes to sign Japanese superstar Shohei Ohtani are reportedly "suspicious" a decision was made before the recruitment process was completed.

On Wednesday, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic used the term "eyewash," a baseball phrase for a lack of sincere effort, to describe how certain teams view the Ohtani free-agent derby.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reported earlier Wednesday the dual-threat sensation, a starting pitcher and outfielder, finished meeting with the seven finalists. Those teams included the Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners, Los Angeles Angels, Chicago Cubs, Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants and San Diego Padres.

3 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Teams are complaining about the recruitment process.

The Yankees and Red Sox Some MLB front offices involved in the sweepstakes to sign Japanese superstar Shohei Ohtani are reportedly butt hurt "suspicious" a decision was made before the recruitment process was completed.

On Wednesday, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic used the term "eyewash," a baseball phrase for a lack of sincere effort, to describe how certain teams view the Ohtani free-agent derby.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reported earlier Wednesday the dual-threat sensation, a starting pitcher and outfielder, finished meeting with the seven finalists. Those teams included the Texas Rangers, Seattle Mariners, Los Angeles Angels, Chicago Cubs, Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants and San Diego Padres.

Fixed.

I actually started wondering about a pre-arranged deal this morning between the Padres and Ohtani. 

The fact that the organizations had so many previous ties and business allows some back-end methods for money to be exchanged...
There was an extensive media push talking about the Padres as the surprising darkhorse candidate - almost too much of a media push, as if it was trying to get ahead of a 'conspiracy' (remember Heyman's article detailing an excessive number of reasons why the Padres made the most sense?) and paint it as a fit, despite the lack of a DH, the lack of a contending team, etc. 

And A.J. Preller hasn't exactly proven to be a guy of high integrity or someone above shenanigans.