• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If Japanese culture is at play then I wonder if quitting the way JD did is high on the honor meter in Japan...  

It's even a problem on the honor meter in the U.S., unless you're the owner of the Seattle Mariners.

15 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I googled his agent and it looks like the agency is based out of LA.  That doesn’t mean they don’t have an office in Irvine. 

Just for what its worth, from an LA Times article in 1995, Nez Balelo was originally drafted and signed by.........

The Mariners

7 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I believe the rumor that he prefers Tapatio to tabasco. Sources are rock solid.

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

That would explain why he would want to play in SD.

amateur hour.

yucateco, is where it's at. just ask goldilocks, it's juuuuuust right.

El-Yucateco-Green-8oz_large.jpg?v=141548

2 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Yes. After they declared war on us.

http://www.legisworks.org/congress/77/publaw-331.pdf

That was my point. There was no fingerpointing at Germany. Germany backed their Axis treaty and declared war on us, but if they didnt...would have been hard to convince the alresdy isolationist types to decalre war on Germany when we were just attacked by the other side of the world.

26 minutes ago, krAbs said:

Jet fuel can't melt battleship hulls!

Few people know that battleship 7 inexplicably sank on its own footprint seven hours later without ever being hit by a Japanese bomb or torpedo.

however, before the first air raid began at 8:00, several US frogmen were seen swimming around battleship row and cavorting with some guys from the demolition team.

3 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Posting this in here for some discussion . . . 

Let's assume the sticking point for trading with the Phillies for Hernandez was that they wanted Jam Jones and we wouldn't include him. Would you now trade Jam Jones and Chris Rodriguez to the Phillies for Hernandez and $750 k in international money? The Phillies have $900 k I think left, but can only trade international money in units of $250k. 

I think I would do that because as much as I believe in Jones, I think we need to solve 2B for a long time. Hernandez does that, establishes a leadoff hitter for us, and gives us solid defense up the middle. That wouldn't be a desperation move, IMHO, because it solves a true need for us with a legitimate solution (not like taking a CFer and putting him at 2B). It shows that we are serious about solving our problems, we're building a solid core that will be stable for years, and would provide much better defense and comparable offense to Seattle. I would think that would send a strong signal to Ohtani.

I would not do that, i' d rather take a chance and keep these guys in our system, if Jones hits like he did this past year or improves, his values only goes up, same for Crod. Also it's not guarantee that we get Ohtani. 

We could probably make small trades to add to the bonus, for example go back to the Marlins and tell them well take Edison Volquez and his money but you have to include the rest of your bonus or trade magnifico to the Baltimore FOR 250K

getting the extra Intl pool money has to matter somehow or else why do it?  I don't think Dipoto or Eppler are just guessing that it might help.  I truly believe it's down to the AL teams left and that the Rangers are in it as much as the M's or Angels.  If Eppler thinks an additional mil will help then he'll go get it.  But my biggest concern is that Jerry was told that if he gets an extra mil then the M's are the choice so he got creative and made it happen.  Something Eppler would have done if it were going to seal the deal.  oh well.  

Like I said in the other thread, I think we got played on this one. I think Ohtani wanted to go to the Mariners from the get go but his agent told him they would wait to announce it so he can try to get some more money out of them.  He used the Angels as a threat and made the Mariners more than double what they were initially able to offer. Will be a good play by his agent when it’s all said and done. He’s going to the team he wanted to all along plus he’s getting an extra $2 million on top of it.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yup....  First time was while he was in charge of the Rangers international program.... He got popped for something shady and suspended... Then again as The Padres, GM. 

i had no idea he had been suspended with the rangers. i'll have to see if i can find that story.

1 hour ago, Chimi said:

Like I said in the other thread, I think we got played on this one. I think Ohtani wanted to go to the Mariners from the get go but his agent told him they would wait to announce it so he can try to get some more money out of them.  He used the Angels as a threat and made the Mariners more than double what they were initially able to offer. Will be a good play by his agent when it’s all said and done. He’s going to the team he wanted to all along plus he’s getting an extra $2 million on top of it.

Sounds like Scott Boras, when he used Arte to drive the price on Mark Teixeira.  From what I've read, Boras and Arte had a "handshake agreement" at the Winter Meetings in Vegas that year for 8/160, and few weeks later he signs for 8/180 with the Yankees.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

getting the extra Intl pool money has to matter somehow or else why do it?  I don't think Dipoto or Eppler are just guessing that it might help.  I truly believe it's down to the AL teams left and that the Rangers are in it as much as the M's or Angels.  If Eppler thinks an additional mil will help then he'll go get it.  But my biggest concern is that Jerry was told that if he gets an extra mil then the M's are the choice so he got creative and made it happen.  Something Eppler would have done if it were going to seal the deal.  oh well.  

At this point, what difference does it make where Ohtani signs if he does not choose the Angels?  The only team that would be of concern would the Rangers.  Dipoto, in all of his glory has essentially recreated a .500 team now needing Ohtani to stay a .500 team while gutting whatever was left of the Mariners farm system.  The Padres would be fun to watch to see if they can develop success the same way Houston did.  After Dipoto's last move, and all of his future crazy Ivan moves, I think that the Mariners are screwed, with or without Ohtani.

2 hours ago, ukyah said:

i had no idea he had been suspended with the rangers. i'll have to see if i can find that story.

Here you go...  https://www.baseballamerica.com/international/hiring-of-preller-also-brings-news-of-suspension/#IxkbJJzUbMXkUeQP.97  and this is a good reporting of his suspension with the Padres https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/padres-got-what-they-paid-for-in-suspended-a-j-preller-091516

He's a shady POS.

5 hours ago, Chimi said:

Sadly, I think this analysis is probably exactly what’s happening. Ohtani wanted to be a Mariner and pitted three AL West teams against themselves, actually just the Angels and Mariners since Texas couldn’t really add more pool money. Ohtani’s agent knew the A’s weren’t gonna play the game and left them out.  Hopefully Eppler can use the pool money on the rest of the Braves prospects. 

With that said, it seems like the ball is in the Angels’ court to keep playing or put the ball down. Seems like Mariners are close to the max they can offer Ohtani. The NL teams are already maxed out. Angels are only team that can add significant money for their offer.