• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels Pursuing Ohtani

totdprods

8 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Hmmm sounds a lot like going into Iraq because a group in Afghanistan supposedly attacked us.

Further proves my point.

Oh, and I remember something about the US being at war in the Pacific too.

Oh, and those memos where top military brass said they needed to provoke a Japanese attack to get the US into the war.

Do you even realize your first statement backs up what I already said?...how it makes zero sense?

And yes, we were at war in the pacific...you know, because we were attacked. So again I ask, why would we let ourselves get attacked, lose our holding in the region, only to have to rebuild what we lost, then go fight for 4 years to get back what we lost?

Totally makes sense.

I imagine the Britts were only too cool with it, as well. 

"Hmmm, were stretched past break trying to hold on to our empire. Our island is surrounded and close to being effectively blockaded, ehich sucks for an island. What should we do?

I know....lets welcome a new enemy in to the mix. Even better, lets let the new enemy take over our territories in SEA, where we import all our rubber an oil, so that we can divert resources there instead of at home where our merchant navy is being destroyed, and were short anyone to repel an invasion. Even better, lets let the new enemy push on our holdings in India, so that we have to keep our people there, too, instead of pushing thr Germans back, back home." - churchill

Makes total sense. Britain was at the point of appeasement in December, 1941. So of course the way to reverse the tide would be to allow a new front to open, the one where most of your raw material comes from.

At the time, the US military was ranked 17th in the world...tied with Romania. The Japanese Navy was second only to the Britts at that point. So yeah....was a genius plan, to allow thr tiny fleet we possessed in the region to be sunk by a superior, so that we coupl get in to a protracted naval war with them and retake territory we lost....so that we could get in to the european war.

20 hours ago, ettin said:

Obviously another prospect like Pearson.

Also remember, per our handy-dandy Angelswin.com 2018 Primer Series article (Eppler's Strategy Part II), that the Angels can only acquire a maximum of 75% of their base pool money:

"Of course the Angels could simply go after the only two-way threat in free agency as it seems possible that Japanese superstar Shohei Otani will be posted in the off-season. He has been called Japan’s “Babe Ruth”, throwing high-90’s heat, even touching triple digits, with the lumber to match.

If the Angels somehow managed to acquire him they could potentially put him at 1B or in an OF utility role and fill a rotation spot all at the same time. It’s a long shot, however, because the Angels have spent roughly $3M-$4M of their $4.75M International Bonus pool.

The new rules allow the Angels to acquire an additional 75% of their pool base (no more than $3.5625M) but unless they trade for more pool money, to hit their maximum cap of $4.3125M-$5.3125M, between now and the time Otani signs it’s probably a no-go. Otani would be another example of a low-impact to team payroll, at least in the very near-term."

We have now acquired $2.2M, which means we can acquire no more than about $1.3M give or take, which means trading another prospect similar to Pearson to a club willing to part with that amount (likely $1M or $1.25M since bonus pool money must be traded in blocks of $250K or all of a team's remaining pool money one or the other).

The bold part is what I was referring to.  So if the Angels acquire $1 million more, then it’s up to Ohtani at that point because no team can try to out do them.  The playing field as far as bonus going out would be even.

Edited by Stradling

13 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The bold part is what I was referring to.  So if the Angels acquire $1 million more, then it’s up to Ohtani at that point because no team can try to out do them.  The playing field as far as bonus going out would be even.

It just seems like Eppler was suddenly shaken out of bed over this pool money allotment. Couldn’t he have been working to accumulate more pool money at anytime last season. 

5 minutes ago, Calzone said:

It just seems like Eppler was suddenly shaken out of bed over this pool money allotment. Couldn’t he have been working to accumulate more pool money at anytime last season. 

If he had a reason to, he would have.  If the Braves players don't become free agents, and the Ohtani doesn't show interest, what's he spending it on?  

Posting this in here for some discussion . . . 

Let's assume the sticking point for trading with the Phillies for Hernandez was that they wanted Jam Jones and we wouldn't include him. Would you now trade Jam Jones and Chris Rodriguez to the Phillies for Hernandez and $750 k in international money? The Phillies have $900 k I think left, but can only trade international money in units of $250k. 

I think I would do that because as much as I believe in Jones, I think we need to solve 2B for a long time. Hernandez does that, establishes a leadoff hitter for us, and gives us solid defense up the middle. That wouldn't be a desperation move, IMHO, because it solves a true need for us with a legitimate solution (not like taking a CFer and putting him at 2B). It shows that we are serious about solving our problems, we're building a solid core that will be stable for years, and would provide much better defense and comparable offense to Seattle. I would think that would send a strong signal to Ohtani.

Phil RogersVerified account @philgrogers
FollowFollow @philgrogers
More

While the #Marlins, #Rangers and #Angels race to throw millions at Shohei Ohtani, spoke to guy today close to Ohtani camp who says decision will be made more on fit with team than size of signing bonus. #Cubs, #Dodgers, #Giants and #Padres are all viable options.

1 minute ago, VariousCrap said:
Phil RogersVerified account @philgrogers
FollowFollow @philgrogers
More

While the #Marlins, #Rangers and #Angels race to throw millions at Shohei Ohtani, spoke to guy today close to Ohtani camp who says decision will be made more on fit with team than size of signing bonus. #Cubs, #Dodgers, #Giants and #Padres are all viable options.

...Marlins?

If  1 mil in bonus pool money is what makes the difference, then you do what you to and get that 1mil.  

I don't know Japanese culture all that well, but is there anything that would make what Dipoto is doing an important show of respect?  Where it's not just the money, but the commitment?

18 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Let's assume the sticking point for trading with the Phillies for Hernandez was that they wanted Jam Jones and we wouldn't include him. Would you now trade Jam Jones and Chris Rodriguez to the Phillies for Hernandez and $750 k in international money? The Phillies have $900 k I think left, but can only trade international money in units of $250k. 

I think I would do that because as much as I believe in Jones, I think we need to solve 2B for a long time. Hernandez does that, establishes a leadoff hitter for us, and gives us solid defense up the middle. That wouldn't be a desperation move, IMHO, because it solves a true need for us with a legitimate solution (not like taking a CFer and putting him at 2B). It shows that we are serious about solving our problems, we're building a solid core that will be stable for years, and would provide much better defense and comparable offense to Seattle. I would think that would send a strong signal to Ohtani.

As far as those two particular players I'm okay with parting ways with them but I think you would need to add one more mid-tier prospect to make that deal go through. Hernandez is playing at a high level and is under cheap arbitration control the next three years.

The other potential problem is that Klentak may not play nice with us since he was a Dipoto hire but I doubt he'd turn away an opportunity to improve his team.

46 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I'd do it if it was assured we would get him if we were close to the Mariner's offer. I wouldn't do it just to match the Mariners and give us a 1/3 chance of signing him.

I got this text from my brother, does anyone know if his agent truly is in Orange County?

One thing that I️ find puzzling is the fact that his agent is based out of Irvine and all the meetings were in oc.  Wouldn’t you want to see Texas, Chicago, Seattle etc if you were going to sign a 6 year deal?  

8 minutes ago, Cdaniel said:

I got this text from my brother, does anyone know if his agent truly is in Orange County?

One thing that I️ find puzzling is the fact that his agent is based out of Irvine and all the meetings were in oc.  Wouldn’t you want to see Texas, Chicago, Seattle etc if you were going to sign a 6 year deal?  

Hmmmmmmmmm

11 minutes ago, Cdaniel said:

He did fly into John Wayne didn't he? I haven't really been keeping track of his travel itinerary. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

If  1 mil in bonus pool money is what makes the difference, then you do what you to and get that 1mil.  

I don't know Japanese culture all that well, but is there anything that would make what Dipoto is doing an important show of respect?  Where it's not just the money, but the commitment?

If Japanese culture is at play then I wonder if quitting the way JD did is high on the honor meter in Japan...