• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Does Otani & Stanton need to happen before the fire ignites the hot stove?

Chuck

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Each team has their own version of WAR, a statistical way they value a player to help decide if they add wins or not.  So will a team use fWar or bWar, no.  Will they use their metric that goes beyond wins, era, whip, saves, batting average, home runs, rbi and fielding percentage? Absolutely yes.  

I agree 

Stanton has not been some leaguewide secret. Every MLB team knows his contractual situation. If Arte and Eppler seriously wanted him and his contract they would’ve claimed him off waivers last August and tried to work out a trade for him back then instead of going after Upton. I think they chose not to pursue him because of his contract. I don’t think that mindset has changed.

4 hours ago, Calzone said:

Stanton has not been some leaguewide secret. Every MLB team knows his contractual situation. If Arte and Eppler seriously wanted him and his contract they would’ve claimed him off waivers last August and tried to work out a trade for him back then instead of going after Upton. I think they chose not to pursue him because of his contract. I don’t think that mindset has changed.

i agree. i don't think we're in on stanton at all, and from the looks of it that may mean we're out on gordon too. although the 3 team trade idea, where we pick up gordon, isn't out of the question.

16 hours ago, ukyah said:

i agree. i don't think we're in on stanton at all, and from the looks of it that may mean we're out on gordon too. although the 3 team trade idea, where we pick up gordon, isn't out of the question.

Gordon would be a good pickup but I think if they find a taker for Stanton, Gordon will probably remain in Miami. Now in regards to Otani, he won’t be interested in playing here simply because Albert has a stranglehold on the DH spot. That’s an extremely important position to leave open for a player like Otani and there’s nothing the Angels will do to change that.

1 hour ago, Calzone said:

Gordon would be a good pickup but I think if they find a taker for Stanton, Gordon will probably remaIn in Miami. Now in regards to Otani, he won’t be interested in playing here simply because Albert has a stranglehold on the DH spot. That’s an extremely important position to leave open for a player like Otani and there’s nothing the Angels will do to change that.

My guess is it'll come down to three teams:  Yankees, Dodgers, Mariners (in that order).  If he doesn't care about DH'ing and is okay playing the field, I could see him as a Dodger.  That said, I am going to assume the Yankees are the favorites at this point.

16 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

My guess is it'll come down to three teams:  Yankees, Dodgers, Mariners (in that order).  If he doesn't care about DH'ing and is okay playing the field, I could see him as a Dodger.  That said, I am going to assume the Yankees are the favorites at this point.

Well the Yankees are the favorite for many reasons. They already have a Japanese player on board who decided to stay. I’m sure that the Japanese press is praising the Tanaka / NY relationship. They have a wide open DH spot and he could rotate playing RF / DH with Aaron Judge. Lastly, they have the money, the history with Matsui and a solid bunch of youthful players that are already contending so there’s no pressure on him to carry the franchise. I find it interesting how much Albert impacts (contract and position) what the Angels can’t do in regards to Stanton and Otani. 

8 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Well the Yankees are the favorite for many reasons. They already have a Japanese player on board who decided to stay. I’m sure that the Japanese press is praising the Tanaka / NY relationship. They have a wide open DH spot and he could rotate playing RF / DH with Aaron Judge. Lastly, they have the money, the history with Matsui and a solid bunch of youthful players that are already contending so there’s no pressure on him to carry the franchise. 

Right.  The money isn't really an issue I suspect, because if it was, Ohtani would just wait two more years, then sign a massive 150million + contract.  But the Yankees' history with Japanese players + open DH spot probably mean they are the favorites.  Although that said, it would likewise not surprise me to see him end up as a Dodger, either.  The one issue is, would he be okay serving as an OF several times a week?  I have seen reports of him questioning whether he can do so at the MLB level.

2 hours ago, Calzone said:

Albert has a stranglehold on the DH spot. That’s an extremely important position to leave open for a player like Otani and there’s nothing the Angels will do to change that.

I seriously doubt that Albert getting the bulk of the ab's at DH will have any impact on Ohtani's decision to play in Anaheim. There are most likely other factors more important to Ohtani than Albert and the DH position. Of course that doesn't fit your negative narrative..so play on.

I doubt that Ohtani will become an Angel because I just sense there are other teams that he finds more attractive, but man, your Debbie Downer routine knows no bounds. 

BTW..just for the record I'm on the Ohtani bandwagon and would love to see him play here.

On November 22, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Troll Daddy said:

It virtually will have no significance as to how you value him as a player for said team.

you are incorrect. it's obvious in that AO does assign significance to WAR in evaluating a player. 

18 hours ago, Calzone said:

Using your rationale, nobody will trade for him since they didn't do so in August. 

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Using your rationale, nobody will trade for him since they didn't do so in August. 

You know Lou, it would not surprise me to see Stanton on Miami’s opening day roster. Those no trade clause deals factor in huge when it comes with the type of price tag he has. 

There’s a very limited market for a guy making that kind of money that also has exclusive authorization over his destination. He’s going to be tough to move.

The Angels could’ve claimed him last August which would’ve gave them a window of opportunity with exclusive rights to negotiate a trade. They chose not to before Upton was on the books. They whiffed if they really wanted Stanton. 

On 11/22/2017 at 3:55 PM, Angel Oracle said:

No matter how you slice it, mid 3.00s WARs do not command in any way 7 years/$210 million.

Agree with you, but chicks (and GMs and lots of fans) dig the long ball.

i honestly don't remember hearing about this guy until sometime in 2015. He just seemed to come out of nowhere, and now he's suddenly 30.

Here's my question about Ohtani . . . How many teams will be willing to let him pitch AND play the outfield? I can see him DHing, but I can't see him playing the outfield. I don't know all the routines pitchers go through to take care of their arm on off days, but I'd venture a guess that it doesn't really involve making rifle throws from the outfield to any of the bases.

i don't think we'll even call his agent about coming here.