• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Question for all you carnivores

Tank

3 hours ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

@Tank, just curious, how long have you been a vegetarian for? What was your reasoning?

Lifelong for my 57 years. Parents raised us as veggies because of the beliefs of our religion. In the seventh day Adventist church we believe that a meat-free diet is the healthiest diet, and I've continued that as an adult. Wife is a veggie as is our daughter. We're not fanatics about it like Portland lesbian vegans. In fact, one of my culinary pleasures is the occasional all beef hot dog (we subscribe to the dietary counsel in Leviticus 11 about which meats are clean vs unclean, so we wouldn't eat crab, lobster, shrimp, or pork). 

There was a study done recently which identified the blue zones. These areas in the world with the longest life expectancy. One of those are is in Loma Linda, which is an area with a very heavy Adventist population. The longer life expectancy is directly tied to a healthier vegetarian diet. 

13 hours ago, Tank said:

Lifelong for my 57 years. Parents raised us as veggies because of the beliefs of our religion. In the seventh day Adventist church we believe that a meat-free diet is the healthiest diet, and I've continued that as an adult. Wife is a veggie as is our daughter. We're not fanatics about it like Portland lesbian vegans. In fact, one of my culinary pleasures is the occasional all beef hot dog (we subscribe to the dietary counsel in Leviticus 11 about which meats are clean vs unclean, so we wouldn't eat crab, lobster, shrimp, or pork). 

There was a study done recently which identified the blue zones. These areas in the world with the longest life expectancy. One of those are is in Loma Linda, which is an area with a very heavy Adventist population. The longer life expectancy is directly tied to a healthier vegetarian diet. 

Ok, that's interesting, as I was wondering why you would ask what certain steaks taste like. if you've never had anything, you would have no idea of the flavors and textures. I had no idea you've been a lifelong vegetarian. Does that mean all meat products, even chicken or beef stock, like in soups or stews?  Fish sauce in Thai dishes? 

2 hours ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

Ok, that's interesting, as I was wondering why you would ask what certain steaks taste like. if you've never had anything, you would have no idea of the flavors and textures. I had no idea you've been a lifelong vegetarian. Does that mean all meat products, even chicken or beef stock, like in soups or stews?  Fish sauce in Thai dishes? 

no beef, chicken, turkey, fish, or pork for me. i don't hassle about chicken or beef stock in soups or whatever. can't stand the smell or taste of fish, so no fish sauce, either. have had thai food only once and didn't really care for it so it's a non-issue for me. ate lots of mexican and italian food growing up as those were always the easiest places to find something decent without meat in it. it's a whole lot easier today as there are now restaurants that cater to vegetarians like the veggie grill or native foods.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:42 PM, Tank said:

no beef, chicken, turkey, fish, or pork for me. i don't hassle about chicken or beef stock in soups or whatever. can't stand the smell or taste of fish, so no fish sauce, either. have had thai food only once and didn't really care for it so it's a non-issue for me. ate lots of mexican and italian food growing up as those were always the easiest places to find something decent without meat in it. it's a whole lot easier today as there are now restaurants that cater to vegetarians like the veggie grill or native foods.

I hate to break it to you, but back in the day, Mexican places usually cooked with lard.

2 hours ago, IEAngelsfan said:

I hate to break it to you, but back in the day, Mexican places usually cooked with lard.

We knew this which was why we never went to Taco Bell. But our local Mexican restaurant didn't use lard, and that's why we went there.

When I was growing up, I remember my mother sending me to the neighborhood butcher shop to buy ground sirloin. I remember it having a distinctly different taste than the regular variety ground beef that we bought at the grocery store.

If all beef cuts tasted exactly the same, there would be little point in having various cuts of it.

• 6 months later...

I'm reviving this thread...

Has anyone here had a dry-aged steak? Does anyone here buy them from a butcher/high end grocer? Has anyone here done it themselves?

My friend bought some dry aged ribeyes from his local butcher and they were amazing despite not being cooked as well as I usually cook them. I really want to use dry aged beef in my cooking but I am having trouble paying upwards of $30+/lb when Costco is selling prime ribeyes for $13-15 a pound. 

I'm considering doing it myself using the Food Lab's method.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

My roommate has a 4.6 cubic foot mini fridge we aren't using in the garage he said I could use for this purpose. So for the cost of a desk fan and the electricity I can dry age my own beef. Has anyone tried doing this? Does it sound crazy? I don't want to waste $120 and 8 lbs of prime beef for it not to work. Any tips?

On 11/13/2017 at 8:10 PM, Tank said:

this isn't true

On 6/4/2018 at 11:29 AM, Brandon said:

this isn't true

Yeah I was just reading about it. More likely a result of increased activity and exercise amongst the Adventists and a healthy lifestyle in other areas - no tobacco or booze

39 minutes ago, Adam said:

Yeah I was just reading about it. More likely a result of increased activity and exercise amongst the Adventists and a healthy lifestyle in other areas - no tobacco or booze

Exactly. Chris Kresser wrote a pretty good piece about how bad vegan/vegetarian diets are mainly because of the lack of essential nutrients. But with this topic it's because of the lifestyle...no drugs, alcohol, and generally healthier lifestyle people also engage more in exercise or physical activities. 

On 6/4/2018 at 11:16 AM, eaterfan said:

I'm reviving this thread...

Has anyone here had a dry-aged steak? Does anyone here buy them from a butcher/high end grocer? Has anyone here done it themselves?

My friend bought some dry aged ribeyes from his local butcher and they were amazing despite not being cooked as well as I usually cook them. I really want to use dry aged beef in my cooking but I am having trouble paying upwards of $30+/lb when Costco is selling prime ribeyes for $13-15 a pound. 

I'm considering doing it myself using the Food Lab's method.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

My roommate has a 4.6 cubic foot mini fridge we aren't using in the garage he said I could use for this purpose. So for the cost of a desk fan and the electricity I can dry age my own beef. Has anyone tried doing this? Does it sound crazy? I don't want to waste $120 and 8 lbs of prime beef for it not to work. Any tips?

Yes, buy a cheaper, less quality piece of meat to test if your method is working then make adjustments until you have it down and then invest. Dry aging a cheap steak is the same process of an expensive one but the learning curve is cheaper. Also, you get better cheap steak. Or in this case a roast since you usually don't age meat as individual slices. 

2 hours ago, Adam said:

studies are all over the place about it

i've been eating plant-based since january, and while i feel great and am getting a ton of protein, it's very easy to slip into eating vegan junk

the b-12 thing is annoying, too

cholesterol and triglycerides are under control, but i've cut back on booze, too, so that's probably a pretty big factor

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I think I read an op-ed by Sisson

Yeah, Sisson knows his shit. Did you see his guest spot on Rogan? I want to say it was around the time you and I were throwing around texts regarding keto and bulletproof coffee. Ironically, his episode was around that time. He's actually the reason I stopped with the bulletproof coffee. He still has coffee, but said he'd rather not add the extra calories and let his body continue to eat its own fat instead. Good episode and one where I think that primal or meat only gig was first mentioned. Joe had that dude on shortly after and it's been intriguing ever since to try.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Yes, buy a cheaper, less quality piece of meat to test if your method is working then make adjustments until you have it down and then invest. Dry aging a cheap steak is the same process of an expensive one but the learning curve is cheaper. Also, you get better cheap steak. Or in this case a roast since you usually don't age meat as individual slices. 

Probably a good idea. I was thinking about starting with a lower quality and slightly smaller roast.

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

There will be the outer crust that you will have to carve away. That's part of the expense on dry aged beef, there is loss in the processing. 

Yeah, it's why I wanted to start with a largely intact rib roast. The bone protects it on one side while the fat cap protects another. I'd basically be losing only the faces of the roasts when it comes to useable meat.