• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Question for all you carnivores

Tank

okay, so there's a new ad campaign for one of the fast food chains selling a new ribeye burger and how it tastes better. got me to wondering if different cuts of beef have different tastes - ribeye, flat iron steak, t-bone, filet mignon, skirt steak, etc. 

and can any of you tell what cut of meat you're eating just by the taste?

Yes, every cut of meat has it's own flavor and texture and require different cooking procedures to bring out the best of each. You would think a cow should taste about the same from one muscle to the next but that is far from true. Fat content can make a big difference and it is not just the fat ring around the cut but the fat content in the fibers of the meat called marbling. It also provides tenderness that the leaner parts don't have. 

Different cuts for hamburger can create a different flavor profile but not necessarily a better tasting hamburger. I'm not certain Ribeye is that meat but there is one thing for certain is they are not using a prime or choice piece of meat for fast food hamburger unless it's a $20 hamburger. In fact some are using a grade below Select called Standard grade that has little marbling and even lower Commercial which would contain no marbling. They just grind up the outer layer of fat, not always that flavorful but a filler.

So just because they say they are using a particular portion of the cow it doesn't mean the cow itself is a good specimen. 

It is for all but more pronounced in beef because of the fat content and distribution meaning that beef taste varies pretty largely even depending on how it's fed. In can go into a grocery here and find beef cuts from New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, India, Pakistan, and in the higher end stores you can find US, Canadian, Irish. Brazil, India, and Pakistan I won't buy for obvious reasons. NZ is usually a little better than the Australian. If you can find US or European it's much more expensive but much tastier because there's more grain in the diet.

So, if I'm making burgers or doing something that's buried in a stew or sauce I buy NZ. If I plan to grill or smoke I hold out for the good ole US of A with Canada or Ireland a decent option

8 minutes ago, Tank said:

thanks, gents. my impression was that some cuts were tougher or more tender than others but i had no idea about taste. 

does this apply for other cuts of meat like pork, turkey, or chicken?

Yes, yes, yes. Hams tastes completely different from loins or butts. White meat on chicken and turkey like breasts taste different that dark meat like thighs. 

3 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

It is for all but more pronounced in beef because of the fat content and distribution meaning that beef taste varies pretty largely even depending on how it's fed. In can go into a grocery here and find beef cuts from New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, India, Pakistan, and in the higher end stores you can find US, Canadian, Irish. Brazil, India, and Pakistan I won't buy for obvious reasons. NZ is usually a little better than the Australian. If you can find US or European it's much more expensive but much tastier because there's more grain in the diet.

So, if I'm making burgers or doing something that's buried in a stew or sauce I buy NZ. If I plan to grill or smoke I hold out for the good ole US of A with Canada or Ireland a decent option

And if you want to spend a months pay on a steak you get real Wagyu filet mignon from Japan. 

51neteBGabL.jpg

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

And if you want to spend a months pay on a steak you get real Wagyu filet mignon from Japan. 

51neteBGabL.jpg

A friend gave us some Wagyu, or more specifically Kobe, from Japan.  Man, that stuff is worth the hype.  But you just want to touch it on the flame.  Because anything higher, and that fat just burns off and it becomes tough.  If I ever had it in a restaurant, they better know what the fuck they were doing, and anything higher than rare you should be denied service.  

But to answer Tanks question.  Cut, quality and how it's fed makes a difference.  Different cuts have different characteristics, and people have preferences to what cuts.  Feed is usually corn vs grass.  IMO Grass fed is more tender, corn fed more tough.  And quality is what arch said.  Even in the US you will have different grades.  Prime being in high end restaurants.  Choice and select being restaurants and high end grocery stores.  Select being most restaurants and grocery stores.  After that is regular restaurant and grocery store grades.  Then the dog food. 

10 hours ago, Tank said:

okay, so there's a new ad campaign for one of the fast food chains selling a new ribeye burger and how it tastes better. got me to wondering if different cuts of beef have different tastes - ribeye, flat iron steak, t-bone, filet mignon, skirt steak, etc. 

and can any of you tell what cut of meat you're eating just by the taste?

Without a doubt. The tenderness and fat alone will tell you what you are eating. 

12 hours ago, Blarg said:

51neteBGabL.jpg

I was at Mastro's in Costa Mesa for my anniversary and they offered me some of this for I think $129 for 6 ounces.

Pure insanity. I seriously thought about it though.

3 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I was at Mastro's in Costa Mesa for my anniversary and they offered me some of this for I think $129 for 6 ounces.

Pure insanity. I seriously thought about it though.

yowza! i couldn't afford to buy that, but i'm sure it'd be worth every penny.