• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Angels explored RF upgrade.

Second Base

19 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

I dont know, I see the angels 5 or 6 Uptons and 2 Greinke's away from actually competing.  No sane GM will waste 100m dollars in resources on a guy like Upton when your team is so far away from being a legit contender.  Upton even stated Arte called him and they discussed things which sounds like deja vu when Arte visited Hamilton and "discussed things."  Also Upton doesn't coincide with Eppler's philosophy of great defense, my god the guy can't even catch a routine fly ball.  

I dont doubt Upton is an upgrade in LF, and I sure hope it works out because I'm sick of our LF and 3b situation, but you make a deal like that when you are one player away from being a legit contender for a world series.  So the signing itself makes absolutely no sense to me.  

You are sick of OF situation but hate adding Upton.

And I love your assessment that this team is just 7 or 8 $100+million dollar players away from contending.

Maybe you should try to orchestrate an NBA style group of superstars hoarding together to, all at once, "take their talents to Anaheim"?

39 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

I dont know, I see the angels 5 or 6 Uptons and 2 Greinke's away from actually competing.  No sane GM will waste 100m dollars in resources on a guy like Upton when your team is so far away from being a legit contender.  Upton even stated Arte called him and they discussed things which sounds like deja vu when Arte visited Hamilton and "discussed things."  Also Upton doesn't coincide with Eppler's philosophy of great defense, my god the guy can't even catch a routine fly ball.  

I dont doubt Upton is an upgrade in LF, and I sure hope it works out because I'm sick of our LF and 3b situation, but you make a deal like that when you are one player away from being a legit contender for a world series.  So the signing itself makes absolutely no sense to me.  

I’m guessing you don’t see a lot of sane GMs in your limited view of baseball.  Mets, Orioles, Tigers, Giants, Seattle ($240 million contract), Marlins all of these teams have given out $100, $200 or $300 million contracts. 

45 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

The Angels were in contention and actually had a wild card spot for a portion of last season. They were in it until the last few games in 2017. This with no production from LF, 2B and the majority of our starting five on the shelf.

Upton doesn't result in catching Houston. But across a full season, he puts us right there for a wild card spot. And now we get Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoe and Tropeano back, plus Barria breaking into the majors at age 22, and Bridwell.

The Angels with health and Upton are a Wild Card 1 seed. You add in a quality option at 2B/3B or upgrade to Stanton, we can hang with Houston for the majority of the year.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

You are sick of OF situation but hate adding Upton.

And I love your assessment that this team is just 7 or 8 $100+million dollar players away from contending.

Maybe you should try to orchestrate an NBA style group of superstars hoarding together to, all at once, "take their talents to Anaheim"?

Im sick of our OF situation but fixing it with a 100m dollars when your team was 21 games out of first place and 5 losses away from last place is sheer stupidity.

And I didnt say they were 7-8 100 million players away.  I said they are 7 to 8 very good players away who mentioned salary?  You ever heard of drafting and trading for young players and developing them into good players?  

That's what it takes to win these days.  Just ask the Cubs and Astros.  Not making mindless random signings that inflate your payroll.

13 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Im sick of our OF situation but fixing it with a 100m dollars when your team was 21 games out of first place and 5 losses away from last place is sheer stupidity.

And I didnt say they were 7-8 100 million players away.  I said they are 7 to 8 very good players away who mentioned salary?  You ever heard of drafting and trading for young players and developing them into good players?  

That's what it takes to win these days.  Just ask the Cubs and Astros.  Not making mindless random signings that inflate your payroll.

You said quote: I see the angels 5 or 6 Uptons and 2 Greinke's away from actually competing.

What are the contract value for those players? 

The laugh is you think the Angels are 5 or 6 Silver Slugger players away from competitive. This is why you are nicknamed Brains of Clay.

3 hours ago, Calzone said:

Sure Arte signed the contract but not before Eppler evaluated his talent level and what he or his replacement would cost on the open market. I think it was a win-win situation that solves our left field issue and finally erases Joyce, Nava, Robinson, Revere, Ortega, Gentry, Buss, Cowgill, Murphy, Victorino and Shuck.....did I forget anyone?

It certainly looks like Arte is letting Eppler do his job. Hopefully that trend continues. 

That is depressing to look back on. And thats not including hamilton and wells. But id foegotten most of those names you mentioned, crazy to think we went in to a season with some of those guys penciled in as the first and second option. We didnt even luck out once and get just an average year from those guys. Cowgill was the best one pretty much.

2 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

I dont know, I see the angels 5 or 6 Uptons and 2 Greinke's away from actually competing.  No sane GM will waste 100m dollars in resources on a guy like Upton when your team is so far away from being a legit contender.

I'm sorry, but to think the Angels are 8 major upgrades away from being a legit contender is simply moronic.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

They could, but personally i think thats a waste. I think a good deal of calhouns value is his defense. I think hed be more valuable trading than moving to 1B.

Good point.  I guess it would make more sense to keep him in RF and then upgrade 1B in that case.

IMO, if we stay with Kole, its make or break time. I havent written him off at all, but if he doesnt take a good step forward, we're in trouble. And its not really his fault. I see him as more of a depth bat than a front end bat. If we had a better version of pujols (with trout and upton), different story, especially if we get s legit leadoff hitter. But if we're sticking with kolr and expecting him to be one of our better hitters, i thi k our offense struggles.

Bring on stanton and gordon.

2 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

or it's the first of a few other moves...

3 hours ago, Calzone said:

Sure Arte signed the contract but not before Eppler evaluated his talent level and what he or his replacement would cost on the open market. I think it was a win-win situation that solves our left field issue and finally erases Joyce, Nava, Robinson, Revere, Ortega, Gentry, Buss, Cowgill, Murphy, Victorino and Shuck.....did I forget anyone?

eric young jr.

I know trumbo gets a lot of hate on here,  ut from an offense stsndpoint, things started to unravel around the time we dealt him and stsrted gambling on guys like 40 year old ibanez to replace him, with guys like victorino and joyce to play LF.

I still support that trade, but you have to wonder (with skaggs missing so much time, santiago gone, and nolasco and meyer either gone or may as well be), how much difference would it had made if we kept trumbo, played him in LF, and brought up the clean peanuts we eventually went with anyway.

1 hour ago, JarsOfClay said:

Signing Upton is mindless and random?

Dude really?

8 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

People said that? I heard overrated.

There were people that not only called him the worst 2B in baseball but its worst player...  The Howie hate was real and really stupid...

7 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Or that GA was lazy and a terrible OF.

White guys that make it look easy are called graceful...    Sort of funny how they caught so much hate and yet the team has struggled to replace them.   Same thing happened in Baltimore with DeCinces...   He was cursed by having replaced Brooks Robinson...    It took something like 30 different people to finally replace DeCinces in B-More ..  and I think it ended up being Ripken when he moved over from SS.

7 hours ago, Calzone said:

It’s funny you bring that up. These guys are hinting that Howie could be the answer to 2B.

https://halohangout.com/

I'd welcome him back because the dude can fill in pretty much anywhere and has... plus his bat still plays.   Also, I miss the bitching about sliders low and outside..   Just cant get enough of sliders low and outside talk ... or Lasgna talk...