• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Heyman: Angels likely to pursue Moustakas

Chuck

35 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I've actually posted a couple times where I've used his last three full seasons, and this was the one time I didn't and I got caught, haha. 

I didn't believe you were trying to slant the numbers or anything -- just clarifying that I had in fact used three year samples and explained the steps I took to get there because that 27 game season tends to drive the numbers to a less than accurate conclusion IMO.  It's more about that 2017 being questionable due to the bullshit that went on with the baseballs and MLB admission they are aware of the ball issues.

35 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I do think he has turned a corner but I am very skeptical that he will be worth his contract and fully agree that you can find comparable production at a much better price. I've been pushing Asdrubal Cabrera as an example of that. 

And that's' the rub for me -- there is little question that Moustakas is likely a better bet than Cabrera, but at the numbers being talked about and the years -- a guy like Cabrera offers potentially similar value and almost none of the risk.   Beyond that -- Moustakas contact and and swing rates are troubling for me.  Those kinds of things tend to predict future performance a lot better than the typical triple slash numbers.  While his overall performance seems to be trending one way -- those other indicators are going in the opposite direction.

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

So he’s slightly better than a minor league replacement level player defensively.  Ok so he’s an average defensive 3rd baseman. 

Well in DWAR standards he's had one great year, one above average year, one below average year and some other very slightly above average.

Overall that makes him above average. I can't speak to the accuracy of that stat, just pointing it out.

Disclaimer: He's still overrated and I don't want him :)

9 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Note, Moose's dWAR will look more attractive to us since this is what's Yunel's look like over the last 4 years:

image.png.f3d7054db2a715f0208057dd0a8f742d.png

And then Valbuena:

image.png.cdeb989c6e78a2b93e65b07bc10bb6a1.png

That's exactly why he looks attractive to us, we are accustomed to bad 3B defense.  Cowart would look really good to me at third base if he could only show he could hit effectively at this level.  I wouldn't give up on Cowart just yet.  He's only 25, maybe he will get significantly better in the second half of his twenties.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:16 AM, totdprods said:

I've actually posted a couple times where I've used his last three full seasons, and this was the one time I didn't and I got caught, haha. He did manage to play most of the AL West parks in his injury-shortened year though, so those particular 3-year slashes still apply.

Mostly, I think he's having more success hitting the ball out of the park and it's coming at an age where that should be developing, and as a result, he's swinging for the fences more. It's boosting his value and numbers in that regard, but being that dependent on that skill at a ballpark like Angel Stadium is troubling. Feels closer to a Vernon Wells scenario.

I do think he has turned a corner but I am very skeptical that he will be worth his contract and fully agree that you can find comparable production at a much better price. I've been pushing Asdrubal Cabrera as an example of that. 

Especially as a LHH in Angel Stadium, as RHH's tend to fare better power wise.

19 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

I would rather see the Angels trade for a 3rd baseman who would be breaking into the league. Kind of like the A's new 3rd baseman Chapman. Lot of upside, yet cheap.

Chapman would be a good fit since he already knows our signs.