• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

MLB Trade Rumors: Top 50 FAs with Predictions

totdprods

If these predicted terms ring true, I'd take any of these guys at these rates:

Carlos Santana 3/$45m

Eduardo Nunez 2/$14m

Tyler Chatwood 3/$20m

Jarrod Dyson 2/$12m

Tony Watson 2/$12m

Jason Vargas 1/$10m

Michael Pineda 2/$6m

Miles Mikolas: 2/$10m

I am surprised and encouraged that neither Petit or Norris were in the Top 50. 

Kill me now if they only get Yonder fucking Alonso.  I don’t get why people think we need to worry about 1b.  Cron imperfect but also, least concern for this team.  Cron is at worst going to be a league average 1b.  We should kill to get league average at 2b and 3b.  And he’s got potential to be better then that.  Just give the guy the job and see what happens.  Jesus Christ. 

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

At the prices quoted....  Walker at 2/20 and Nunuez at 2/14 would go a long ways towards filling our needs.....    That being said -- I think Valbuena is the likely 3B and that the team looks to spend money at a different spot.

If you can add someone like Asdrubal Cabrera, Logan Forsythe, or Ben Zobrist to Valbuena and a cheaper vet infielder like Walker or Kendrick, I would feel pretty good with it. Keeps it versatile and little commitment.

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Kill me now if they only get Yonder fucking Alonso.  I don’t get why people think we need to worry about 1b.  Cron imperfect but also, least concern for this team.  Cron is at worst going to be a league average 1b.  We should kill to get league average at 2b and 3b.  And he’s got potential to be better then that.  Just give the guy the job and see what happens.  Jesus Christ. 

Agreed - I hope they settle 2B and 3B first and am happy with Cron and Valbuena in the 1B mix, but if a bargain could be had late in the offseason on a 1B FA, well after other needs are addressed mind you, I'd be fine seeing a small commitment to go with a surer thing than Cron.

Between Santana, Duda, LoMo, Alonso, Bruce, Frazier, there's a good chance some 1B/3B type could be had on a bargain.

2 minutes ago, HaloNArizona said:

Just posted this in the Stanton/Marlins trade thread.

.340 OBP over the last four years...208 SB's over the last four years, including 60 last year.

Subtract Maybin and Revere and the Angels are losing 50 SB.

Gordon makes too much sense. He brings speed, defense, high contact, fills a position, hits left-handed, and will cost more in money than prospects.

7 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I do too, but if the prices are 3/$39m and 2/$22m respectively? Well...

...then I'd take Santana for 3/$45m.

Yeah, I can see Eppler going for Carlos Santana as well. Especially if he wants to get that OBP up.

How about Santana for 3B? I know he's had some time there. Can he be any worse than Escobar? Then you get Santana for 3B, Morrison or Alonso for 1B. Two power bats from the left side. Both with good OBP's. 

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Subtract Maybin and Revere and the Angels are losing 50 SB.

Gordon makes too much sense. He brings speed, defense, high contact, fills a position, hits left-handed, and will cost more in money than prospects.

I heard someone here talking about how speed tends to start falling off hard at Gordon's age. Looking at the career numbers of the first two runners who came to my mind (figgens and eckstein), that looks like its about right. Not like...the end of the world, but maybe cause for pause before diving into a huge contract.

That being said, his defense, contact, and left handedness should still be extremely valuable, especially considering what we have been dealing with.

18 hours ago, krAbs said:

I heard someone here talking about how speed tends to start falling off hard at Gordon's age. Looking at the career numbers of the first two runners who came to my mind (figgens and eckstein), that looks like its about right. Not like...the end of the world, but maybe cause for pause before diving into a huge contract.

That being said, his defense, contact, and left handedness should still be extremely valuable, especially considering what we have been dealing with.

Absolutely - Gordon's deal could go south in a flash if his speed took a hit. A lot of his offensive value is driven by his ability to steal bases, beat out hits, take extra bases...he's not a very disciplined hitter, nor does he have any power. His defense is boosted by his range too

But if that risk wasn't there, he would not be attainable - he'd be a bargain and the Marlins would either keep him or deal him for a haul.

Like Eppler has said, you have to be opportunistic. You have to take some risk. Getting a bargain on someone like Gordon today is worth the risk of what he may be in two years. That way of thinking gives major PTSD to Halos fans because it's what got us in trouble before, but only because seemingly every single deal was done in that context. 

I do think this team either needs to stay on a measured, gradual improvement approach so as to either entice Trout to stay, or with more payroll avail now, truly go for it and go big these next three years, even if it means 2021 is a year with bloated expiring contracts with guys like Pujols, Upton, Gordon, Moose.

20 hours ago, totdprods said:

If these predicted terms ring true, I'd take any of these guys at these rates:

Carlos Santana 3/$45m

Eduardo Nunez 2/$14m

Tyler Chatwood 3/$20m

Jarrod Dyson 2/$12m

Tony Watson 2/$12m

Jason Vargas 1/$10m

Michael Pineda 2/$6m

Miles Mikolas: 2/$10m

I am surprised and encouraged that neither Petit or Norris were in the Top 50. 

Chatwood heck yes.

Agree on Petit.

Can I ask why Norris?

23 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Chatwood heck yes.

Agree on Petit.

Can I ask why Norris?

Absolutely! A lot of Norris' negative perception is because he blew up in the most dramatic ways in the worst possible times, which will 1) hurt his image and value and 2) possibly knock him out of the 'closer' range and 'closer' money.

Now...
Bud Norris pitched in 60 games this year (including 3 starts; remember, Eppler wants multi-inning relievers) - here are his combined stats in 55 of those, 92% of his appearances. 
55 games, 59.2 IP: 43 hits, 21 walks, 4 home runs, 72 strikeouts, and a 1.09 ERA, 1.07 WHIP. 
That's a K9 of 10.9
That's a H9 of 6.5
That's a HR9 of 0.6
Walks were a little high, but nothing too dangerous.

If you can get him back on a one or two year deal for a few million, and don't count on him as a closer, how could you not want a reliever who could do something like that 90% of the time? It's not often a reliever gives up two game-winning grand slams in the same week, but events like that will dramatically skew numbers. He's worth the risk again, if the price is right.