• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Stadium Journey - Angel Stadium Review

Chuck

I have been to half of the ballparks in baseball. The Angels park was a budget designed park that represents the architecture of the 60's and I have been going to that same ballpark from it's opening swason to today. 

I could go on for multiple paragraphs about what I know about the difference between this 53 year old design and the modern parks but I know you've got your head in the sand and believe some fresh paint and a couple of prop hats out front make it a different venue. It isn't, the underpinnings that can't be changed fixes this stadium in it's time period and doesn't take advantage of what the newer designs can.

It's still my favorite place to take in a game because I've grown up with it but I know, like myself, it's getting a little old in the tooth. We both should probably retire soon but the money just isn't there.

On 11/2/2017 at 9:31 AM, UndertheHalo said:

The parking is a deal breaker completely for the Doyer stadium tho.  Ability to fucking come and go is important. 

Since I am always wearing enemy gear when I go there, the ability to make it to my car without bullet or knife holes or a head injury is important.

Probably one reason that I will never return.

On 11/1/2017 at 4:59 PM, gklingel52 said:

Just found out both scoreboards and Big A km,getting major upgrades.  In fact, work has already begun!  Video ribbon surrounding right/left field also being upgraded. Can't wait t see it next season.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:43 PM, nando714 said:

Really? 

We need it 

link ?

Still waiting for that link buddy. 

On 11/2/2017 at 9:51 PM, gklingel52 said:

I have heard Arte got approval from Anaheim, when he re-negoiated the new lease, to construct 3 parking structures surrounding the stadium. Then develope the perimeter of the stadium (where the parking lot meets the curb) with shops and restrurants. However before upgrading the outside he has to spend $$$ on the intrastructure.

Arte and the city did not reach agreement on a new (or renegotiated) lease.

5 hours ago, nando714 said:

My dad is a construction inspector for the city of Anaheim. He said they would have to request a permit for anything regarding the stadium since it’s city owned. They haven’t yet. FWIW 

Dad called today. Big cranes at the stadium. It might be happening !!!

You can tear down and rebuild the stadium 100 times and it'll still be located in Anaheim or Orange County. There won't ever be a cool skyline or a vibrant, walkable city, or killer public transit to zip you to and from. It is what its customers demand: lots of parking and close to freeways.

development in the "Platinum Triangle' area -- I guess some of the new (not so new now) condo units have finally sold.

I don't see Arte doing much upgrades to the park between now and the time he sells the club which I am thinking will be 2019/2020.

if the Platinum Triangle development plans come to pass -- that could help the area (and hurt parking?) but I assume that's in that area that's been vacant but carved out with streets for years -- haven't been down there lately but assume that area just next to those new condos on State College Blvd. is still vacant -- soon to be developed?

The Angels park certainly isn't anywhere near the best in MLB -- far from it and closer to the bottom of the list than the top - but still not a bad place to watch a game and you know what you're getting........and you can take the train there, book a hotel room and not need a vehicle -- something that's much tougher to do at the Ravine. 

I like the Angels ballpark ---some upgrades would be nice but I don't see that happening.

On 11/1/2017 at 4:59 PM, gklingel52 said:

Just found out both scoreboards and Big A km,getting major upgrades.  In fact, work has already begun!  Video ribbon surrounding right/left field also being upgraded. Can't wait t see it next season.

Wow! 

I know this sounds cliche', but it seems like they just added the ribbon.

Something nice to look forward to seeing.

On 11/1/2017 at 10:48 PM, UndertheHalo said:

The new video boards are desperately needed.  Great to hear that news. 

While working the Bud Kuhl Invitational at the stadium this past weekend, I was able to confirm the score board upgrade.The RF scoreboard will remain the same size however, the video screen will be enlarged by about 50%. The entire LF scoreboard will be enlarged and will be one big  video screen. All video screens will be HD, just like up the road. In addition, the entire sound system is also being replaced/upgraded.

As for intrastructure, the only thing I noticed was the resturarnt formally known as the Knot Hole (Club Level), is being completely rebuilt.  No idea what it will be. Heard rumors of a self serve cafeteria (???).

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2017 at 1:57 PM, gklingel52 said:

While working the Bud Kuhl Invitational at the stadium this past weekend, I was able to confirm the score board upgrade.The RF scoreboard will remain the same size however, the video screen will be enlarged by about 50%. The entire LF scoreboard will be enlarged and will be one big  video screen. All video screens will be HD, just like up the road. In addition, the entire sound system is also being replaced/upgraded.

As for intrastructure, the only thing I noticed was the resturarnt formally known as the Knot Hole (Club Level), is being completely rebuilt.  No idea what it will be. Heard rumors of a self serve cafeteria (???).

I owe you an apology kind sir. Good to see these improvements.

i like the Big A. Maybe it's the familiarity of the old gal, but it's easy to navigate and move around. it'd be nice to have some of the quirkiness of the newer stadiums, but maybe it's current condition is quirky by comparison.

i'm okay with the giant hats (they're unique), the bricks in that area that form a baseball field (with the addition of the starting lineups since '61), and the big rock pile in CF. I wouldn't mind if they adjusted the seating by it so that it's not such an isolated island with plenty of empty space around it (the giant garage doors by it are a leftover from when the Rams moved in).

i wouldn't object to a new stadium but i'm not sure i want to wait around for it to be built. i'd rather they update the players' uniforms.