• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

On 2/15/2018 at 5:11 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Blue Jays agreed to terms with LHP Jaime Garcia on a one-year, $8 million contract with an option for 2019.

On 2/15/2018 at 5:26 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Thats the deal I would have made...  easy to swallow and even easier to move if shit went sideways...

Best value deal of the winter....

It’s too bad that we couldn’t have brought Watson in on that deal.  Alvarez is the only lefty right ? 

The  back end options are going to be pretty slim if Parker or Bedrosian don’t have good years.  I like both but especially Bedrosian, I don’t have tons of confidence in.  Would be nice if Middleton takes a step forward.  Hopefully Ramirez looks good.

Edited by UndertheHalo

They literally can’t all be overpays Flop.  They’ve been linked to him since before he became a free agent, and I’m guessing they will get him for a price they are comfortable with. Probably less than they thought he would cost prior to the end of the season.  I’ll guess he gets 5 years $130 million. 

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They literally can’t all be overpays Flop.  They’ve been linked to him since before he became a free agent, and I’m guessing they will get him for a price they are comfortable with. Probably less than they thought he would cost prior to the end of the season.  I’ll guess he gets 5 years $130 million. 

Of course they can, anything under any circumstances can be an overpay.   But thats not what i said either.
Darvish and Hosmer were, this one likely will be.  Thats not  "all" of them.  

Im not suggesting this deal, unlike Hosmer's, doesnt make some sense, of course it does, they never replaced Papi.     Hes as close as they are going to get these days.    Its not a bad match, i just dont see it worth youre proposed money, therefore, an overpay.  

Ok, we have different opinions of what an overpay is.  ARod was an overpay because they outbid themselves by $100 million. Hosmer and Darvish had other suitors as does JD.  If there is competition for services then you pay what it takes to get the player within your budget.  If it doesn’t fit in the budget then you go on to plan B.  Would I want the Angels to pay that much for him, no, but we have a different roster and different budget. 

43 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, we have different opinions of what an overpay is.  ARod was an overpay because they outbid themselves by $100 million. Hosmer and Darvish had other suitors as does JD.  If there is competition for services then you pay what it takes to get the player within your budget.  If it doesn’t fit in the budget then you go on to plan B.  Would I want the Angels to pay that much for him, no, but we have a different roster and different budget. 

Agreed, though i think the whole "other suitors" thing is a huge unknown.  Weve heard a lot of rumors to suggest that while there was other interest in these cases that noone else offered close to what was finally accepted.  Thats hardly a bidding war.  

No matter, JD to Bos is a good fit for both, makes sense, im just very sure the money will be something i will likely scoff at. 

Apparently its coming out as a 5/110 with 2 opt outs?  50 mil first 2 years heavily front loaded.  

So yeah, overpay, but not hugely so.  Bos assuming most of the risk there if he has 2 good years which i found interesting.  They got who they wanted at by and large their price . 

Red Sox got a good deal.  Lets see what Arrieta gets, but my guess is he gets about the same as JD or the same as Darvish, somewhere in there.  As for Moustakas, poor guy, he had his career year in a year where no one needed a 3rd baseman except for us and we went with defensive athlete over power.