• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

39 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Didn’t last years bullpen completely meltdown in August / Sept? Could be wrong 

http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/stats/pitching/_/name/laa/split/44

They faded in September but by then it didnt matter and they were overworked after all the 5 inning starts and poor SP work.

20 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I wonder if we took a shot at Norris.  I would have liked to have him back. 

First half Bud, I'd take back in a heartbeat....Second half, after the grand salamis, I would pass on....Eppler must have decided he was more likely to be 2nd half Bud than 1st...

26 minutes ago, totdprods said:
·
source: the angels will take another look at tim lincecum. obviously it didnt work out for them last year but they are hoping he'll regain form the second year after hip surgery. big cali contingent with dodgers, giants and padres also coming to the lincecum showcase.

lol

I was not sitting around waiting for this tweet that the Angels will evaluate Lincecum, but it can't hurt to give him a look.  What's more interesting is that it's obvious that the Angels continue to look into the SP market.  I feel that Eppler is more likely to add a SP through trade than signing what's left.  I could be wrong, but I just feel that is the way he goes if he does indeed add an arm. 

Still, my number one wish for one last move (and I know it is the longest of longshots) is the get a legit, everyday offensive 1B.

Pujols and Ohtani can split the DH at bats and let the legit 1B get 150 games at first with 600+ plate appearances.

The only downside to the plan is if both Pujols and Ohtani rake, then it will seem like they are getting pinched on at bats.

I have no idea how Ohtani will hit, but I actually would bet his OPS will be at least as good as Pujols.  If they are equal production wise, fine.  300-350 plate appearances for each.

I cannot for the life of me imagine Pujols OPS in 2018 to be as good as a new body brought in to take over 1B.

I honestly think we're not going to sign any high priced arms or reserves, but rather go for the Parker Bridwell types, or possibly make a trade for a young cost controlled arm.

That said, it may not happen until we figure out who's healthy and looking good/bad during some spring training starts. 

The problem with a 6 man rotation is that we need 6 quality pitchers to stay healthy.  Likely 2-3 will need DL stints though the year, and if they overlap then our depth gets tested very quickly.   Seems like a quality arm is needed.  Stick Ramirez in the pen, Bridwell in AAA and then go with Richards, Ohtani, Skaggs, Heaney, Shoemaker, and Lynn/Cobb/Odorizzi.  Ramirez, Bridwell, Barria, Lamb for depth.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:20 PM, eligrba4ever said:

Woo Hoo!!! Cliffy trying to catch on with the Reds. Good luck, Penny!!!

TWEETLINKEDIN 2 COMMENTEMAILMORE

GOODYEAR, Ariz. – Cliff Pennington signed a minor league deal with the Cincinnati Reds, but the way Bryan Price talked Friday, it looks like Pennington is a major part of the team’s plans.

The Reds did not have a true shortstop to backup Jose Peraza until Pennington signed. They had some options, but none as good as Pennington.

“But if you have a real serious issue at short, if something would happen to Jose, you’d want to have a depth guy who’s played the position regularly at this level at a high rate defensively,” Price said. “With Cliff, we feel like we’ve added that player.

“I think it was a really good sign. We’ve talked about adding a shortstop throughout the offseason. To be able to land a player like Cliff, who’s played the position so well defensively, is a nice sign for us."