• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I bet Lynn and Cobb will sign within the next couple days and it will be the Scott Boras showdown to follow.  Anyone that's signed seems to have gotten paid appropriately with maybe the exception of Frazier.  

Yep.  These pitchers really need to put pressure on Boras or their agent, pitchers and catchers report any day now. If you’re changing teams it would be beneficial to be there for that. 

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

However, it doesn’t change the fact that if it was an overpay, what forced the Cubs to overpay?  They didn’t need to overpay because the Twins had made an offer.  They could have just made their offer and if it was good enough then they get the player at their price.  If it wasn’t then he goes to the Twins and the Cubs resign Arrieta for less.  The reason that didn’t happen is because it is the going rate.  I wouldn’t be surprised to have reports come out that he accepted the Cubs offer even if it wasn’t the highest offer.  This is the signing that will actually set the market.  It just took two months longer than usual.

Thats exactly WHY they had to, if noone else was involved why would they?   The involvement of the other team is what necessitated it.    Otherwise it would be as you say gut in his case it wasnt. 
I think in Darvish case what made it take long was the Dodgers.  IMO thats where he wanted to go back to but they couldnt find anyone to take on Kemps money.
None of this lives in a vaccum any more.   

My point is they didn’t HAVE to do it.  They wanted him, they didn’t think it was an overpay and the teams know what the market is far better than we as fans reading speculation.  To the best of my knowledge they have a good relationship with Arrieta, he and Darvish are the two best starters available.  If Arrieta was cheaper they could have easily signed him instead.  Sure maybe a fringe playoff team might have to overpay, but the Cubs certainly don’t have to.  The market is what it is.  It’s slow, but it’s not cheap, not yet at least.  I’m sure there will be a bargain out there, but it won’t be for Darvish, Arrieta, JD or Hosmer.  The biggest loser in this free agent maker will end up being Moustakas.  There simply isn’t a market for him, and I think teams are going for guys who look like they’ll age better. 

6 hours ago, floplag said:

It could also be as simple as Darvish was waiting to see if the Dodgers got back into it, i dont know what i dont know but the rumors uggests there was more going on. 

I'm with you on this one. Darvish wanted to go back to the dogs, but not at a discount. 

Reports have the dogs offering 6 yrs $100 million.  My guess is that the Cubs got wind of their 6 yr offer, figured it was probably for around $20M/yr, so offered just a bit more

Edited by Lou

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

My point is they didn’t HAVE to do it.  They wanted him, they didn’t think it was an overpay and the teams know what the market is far better than we as fans reading speculation.  To the best of my knowledge they have a good relationship with Arrieta, he and Darvish are the two best starters available.  If Arrieta was cheaper they could have easily signed him instead.  Sure maybe a fringe playoff team might have to overpay, but the Cubs certainly don’t have to.  The market is what it is.  It’s slow, but it’s not cheap, not yet at least.  I’m sure there will be a bargain out there, but it won’t be for Darvish, Arrieta, JD or Hosmer.  The biggest loser in this free agent maker will end up being Moustakas.  There simply isn’t a market for him, and I think teams are going for guys who look like they’ll age better. 

Noone has to make any deal if you want to go that route, but they wanted to and to achive that need they had to make the offer they made in the face of other competition which drove it up.  Dodgers and Twins were both involved. 

I would love to see us pitch Moustakis on a deal that has him playing multiple spots for one season then taking over 3B after Kinsler leaves and Cozart slides over.   I dont think he would be interested, and the Boras factor makes it unliklely, but i also dont think were going to be in the Machado/Donaldson market next off season so why not try to make a move now if we can. 

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yep.  These pitchers really need to put pressure on Boras or their agent, pitchers and catchers report any day now. If you’re changing teams it would be beneficial to be there for that. 

What pressure is there to put on boras/agents? To get better offers?  The players pick and sign the contract they want

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

My point is they didn’t HAVE to do it.  They wanted him, they didn’t think it was an overpay and the teams know what the market is far better than we as fans reading speculation.  To the best of my knowledge they have a good relationship with Arrieta, he and Darvish are the two best starters available.  If Arrieta was cheaper they could have easily signed him instead.

They didn't HAVE to, but they needed SP depth after losing Arrieta and Lackey, while adding only Chatwood (and his 4.5+ era). They want to win a World Series and their chances increase fairly significantly with by having Darvish instead of Montgomery in the rotation. This also bolsters their pen by having Montgomery in it, where he excelled last year. 

Also, if you recall, Boras put out a 5,411 page novel as to why Arreta deserved a $200 million deal.  The fact that the Cubs didn't seem interested in bringing him back (until a few days ago) says a lot. It seems to have registered with other teams as well. Looking forward, Darvish seems to be the better choice. 

The next time a team admits they overpayed for a player will quite possibly be the first time ever. 

Edited by Lou

49 minutes ago, Lou said:

They didn't HAVE to, but they needed SP depth after losing Arrieta and Lackey, while adding only Chatwood (and his 4.5+ era). They want to win a World Series and their chances increase fairly significantly with by having Darvish instead of Montgomery in the rotation. This also bolsters their pen by having Montgomery in it, where he excelled last year. 

Also, if you recall, Boras put out a 5,411 page novel as to why Arreta deserved a $200 million deal.  The fact that the Cubs didn't seem interested in bringing him back (until a few days ago) says a lot. It seems to have registered with other teams as well. Looking forward, Darvish seems to be the better choice. 

The next time a team admits they overpayed for a player will quite possibly be the first time ever. 

I agree.  

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

One of these fringe starters needs to embrace a bullpen role.

I have a feeling Shoemaker could be very, very valuable as a guy that pitches in a ton of games.

Don't know if it will be Shoe or not, but this is what will happen.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is two of our starters and we sign another starter.  Sign a guy like Cobb, that allows us to move two guys to the pen and gives us insurance for Richards next year.  

5 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

It would be nice to actually have a designated Closer this season. I’m not a fan of the closer by committee bullshit. 

Well we do have Johnson who  has a ton of closing experience. I feel like if anyone will be given the first crack it will be him. Ideally Bedrosian comes in and steals it and never gives it up.