• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

36 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

That’s crazy money for a guy with a lot of DL days in his past.

I think that is the key here to the Cubs offer. Darvish complained on a couple of occaisions that the Rangers were misshandling him when he had elbow soreness which eventually lead to surgery. Even after they wanted him to throw more innings and games than he felt he was ready for.

That is in his rear view mirror, the Cubs know the ball was doctored for the World Series so those starts are discounted and more wieght put on his regular season games with the Dodgers.

It's still too much and too long but the Cubs have a young team with a good three to four more years to dominate. Darvish will fill a role in that and then all of their studs hit free agency one after another and it probably won't matter because they will be restructuring the roster. His fifth and sixth year may be a salary exchange for prospects.

Edited by Blarg

29 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No, but he wanted years and with years you get another $20-50 million.  

True but he got a lot less than the 6/160, 7/180 contract guesses that were being thrown around.  Sure, he might get 150 if he meets whatever requirements are in his contract but that would just mean he is pitching really well. He has an early opt out and 126 over 6 years isn't too bad of a deal at all.  Angels could have afforded that.  Oh well.  Curious to see what Cobb and Arrieta get now.

Well somewhere in one of these threads a while back I stated that he would get closer to a Greinke contract and quite clearly I was off by quite a bit. This would seemingly point to a real shift in market dynamics for older players in combination with some of the bigger teams not spending.

Pretty nice pickup for the Cubs in terms of AAV and total dollars shelled out.

2 hours ago, ettin said:

Well somewhere in one of these threads a while back I stated that he would get closer to a Greinke contract and quite clearly I was off by quite a bit. This would seemingly point to a real shift in market dynamics for older players in combination with some of the bigger teams not spending.

Pretty nice pickup for the Cubs in terms of AAV and total dollars shelled out.

Problem being ... Darvish is no Greinke and he also sucked hard in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, floplag said:

Davish got paid, sorta. but it took a desperate Twins team to drive the price up and force the Cubs hand and he still only got an AAV of 21 guaranteed is my understanding.  Unless more such bidding s wars pop up, i think thats the high point of the off season.

Not sure why the Twins are considered desperate, but how does that affect the Cubs?  The Cubs have a solid staff, if this was an overpay why would they do it?  They could have let the Twins sign him and they could have resigned Arrieta, if indeed Darvish was an overpay.  The reason is Arrieta will get more per year, but probably over 5 years.  If anyone knows the price of Arrieta it is probably the Cubs. 

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Not sure why the Twins are considered desperate, but how does that affect the Cubs?  The Cubs have a solid staff, if this was an overpay why would they do it?  They could have let the Twins sign him and they could have resigned Arrieta, if indeed Darvish was an overpay.  The reason is Arrieta will get more per year, but probably over 5 years.  If anyone knows the price of Arrieta it is probably the Cubs. 

i knew this was coming, lol 

Why are twins desperate, i would think losing Santana for 10-12 weeks, slow start could derail them  
How does it affect he cubs. twins probably stepped up forcing their hand creating small bidding war. 

I realize to you this just make sense as it fits your dialog but if you look behind the numbers i think theres a lot more too it.  It could also be as simple as Darvish was waiting to see if the Dodgers got back into it, i dont know what i dont know but the rumors uggests there was more going on. 

It will also affect the other FA if he was #1 that surely means the rest get less, Arietta is in a real tough spot as his own team that knows him decided to go another direction.  

However, it doesn’t change the fact that if it was an overpay, what forced the Cubs to overpay?  They didn’t need to overpay because the Twins had made an offer.  They could have just made their offer and if it was good enough then they get the player at their price.  If it wasn’t then he goes to the Twins and the Cubs resign Arrieta for less.  The reason that didn’t happen is because it is the going rate.  I wouldn’t be surprised to have reports come out that he accepted the Cubs offer even if it wasn’t the highest offer.  This is the signing that will actually set the market.  It just took two months longer than usual.