• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I have seen him act out numerous times.  I know of his trials and tribulations.  I also know he is an immature asshat that has an issue being a good teammate.  There is a reason he is constantly in trade rumors, and it isn't because he isn't talented.  Management doesn't care for him, his team mates don't care for him.  He can be a distraction.  Now his agent fires him, so you tell me, why is he a great guy?  Oh because you are a troll.  

His reputation for being a cancer in the clubhouse is well known and documented.  Even Dodger fans talk about it all the time.  He supposedly had a better season in the clubhouse in 2017, but it took a lot of work from management and senior players to make it happen.  That has to be exhausting for those involved.

BTW, earlier this off-season, the the Dodgers offered the Red Sox Puig for Jackie Bradley and the Red Sox said no way.  Puig is a more talented player than Bradley, but the Red Sox said no because they don't want to bring a cancer like that into their clubhouse.  That speaks volumes.

7 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Rumor is all ... but Jr plays centerfield. A position that sucks for the Dogs. 

Yeah...it has nothing to do with the fact the Dodgers have tried to trade Puig each of the last three off-seasons and no teams are willing to take him.

40 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You can't compare other companies to sports.  In sports the employees are the product.  

I  would argue thats true in more way than you seem to give credit for.   How often do you see someone changes companies and their customers follow them, not the company?  
Also if that were true the name on the back would matter more than the front, it doesnt.  Im an Angels fan not a Trout fan for example.  I've followed this team for 40 years thru numerous lineups and rosters thru good and bad.  

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

This was a long time coming, owners putting their foot down on escalating prices for star but not super star talent. The one year wonders that suddenly have their breakout year before free agency is just not turning heads anymore, their value is being based on three to five year performance and then what regression will happen over the course of the new contract. 

This!!!!   Looking at you, Martinez/Bora$$    Questionable defense, check    In his early 30s, check    Only 3 solid seasons, including ONE-HALF of a super season, check     And you think you deserve 7 years/$210 million?

Take it away Jim Healy....."The flag is up!"  

Just to clarify, my beef isn't with the majority who are decent/solid at best players.   It is with the non-super players/agents asking for ridiculous sums.   Include Darvish in that group, as he's never been truly super.

1 minute ago, VariousCrap said:

Yeah...it has nothing to do with the fact the Dodgers have tried to trade Puig each of the last three off-seasons.

You like to put your own spin on things without really looking into the story.

Here allow me to help

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2018/01/05/dodgers-floated-idea-jackie-bradley-yasel-puig-trade/mS2zrExiNvaDP4Ke2zIPII/amp.html

5 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You like to put your own spin on things without really looking into the story.

Here allow me to help

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2018/01/05/dodgers-floated-idea-jackie-bradley-yasel-puig-trade/mS2zrExiNvaDP4Ke2zIPII/amp.html

So, the Dodgers offered Puig, a player with better numbers and raw talent, and the Red Sox said no way.  Thanks, that is exactly what I said.  Of course, you had to look up the story because you never heard of it before.  Maybe you should pay more attention to the off-season and stop trolling Angel fans with your stupidity.

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

I  would argue thats true in more way than you seem to give credit for.   How often do you see someone changes companies and their customers follow them, not the company?  
Also if that were true the name on the back would matter more than the front, it doesnt.  Im an Angels fan not a Trout fan for example.  I've followed this team for 40 years thru numerous lineups and rosters thru good and bad.  

We all are Angel fans first.  Today we see a lot of fans that follow players rather than teams, maybe not on this forum, but they are out there.  I like the "me" part of sports has created that as well as fantasy sports.  As for the customers following the leader, that is the rare time when the person they follow is a huge part of the product.  

6 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

So, the Dodgers offered Puig, a player with better numbers, and the Red Sox said no way.  Thanks, that is exactly what I said.

Lol  Did you even read the article? Jr has three more years of control at a premium position with more upside. I wouldn’t make that trade either.

Just now, Troll Daddy said:

Lol  Did you even read the article? Jr has three more years on control at a premium position with more upside. 

Yes I did.  Back when the article actually came out.  I didn't have to Google it today like you did.

The more upside is pure speculation from the author.  Not from the Red Sox.  Puig is a much better player.  More raw talent, higher WAR, better stats all around.  The facts remain the same, the Dodgers have tried to trade Puig each of the last three off-season's and they can't find any takers.  

10 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Yes I did.  Back when the article actually came out.  I didn't have to Google it today like you did.

The more upside is pure speculation from the author.  Not from the Red Sox.  Puig is a much better player.  More raw talent, higher WAR, better stats all around.  The facts remain the same, the Dodgers have tried to trade Puig each of the last three off-season's and they can't find any takers.  

I agree ... trade Calhoun for Puig!

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I hope Eppler is lurking if the market for a premium player gets soft enough to jump on a value deal.

We can say the Angels have no place for JD Martinez but the truth is you just make a place for him (if the value opportunity happens).

Eppler seems like a thorough type of guy that is well prepared, he is lurking or pursuing.  

14 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I hope Eppler is lurking if the market for a premium player gets soft enough to jump on a value deal.

We can say the Angels have no place for JD Martinez but the truth is you just make a place for him (if the value opportunity happens).

He always preaches being opportunistic. I doubt it means Moose, Hosmer, or Martinez, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's watching something

Personally I still think a Walker, Nunez, LoMo type for our last bench spot makes a ton of sense, and if they sign for anything around Frazier's 2/$18m, it's a steal. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

You can't compare other companies to sports.  In sports the employees are the product.  

True, but that's sort of the point.  No business attempts to increase the price of producing their product without some sort of associated increase in profits that goes with it.  And it's not as if they are low balling them so much that players are wondering where their next meal is going to come from.  They make enough to live comfortably and not worry about money so that they can produce on a high level.  Teams increase profits by having marketable players and by winning.  Spending money on Pujols was a great marketing move and the winning aspect of that move would just be a plus to add more profits.  Spending loads of money on Stanton, Kershaw, Grienke, etc.  are all moves that you can market and also count on additional butts in seats to watch those players.  Darvish, Arrieta, and JD are all players that add some marketable value and added chance of winning but not so much so that you go out and spend insane amounts of money on.  Owners are owners and you can't expect them to fully pass on profits.  There are many companies in the service industry that operate the same.  Their employees are their product.  They aren't going to follow up very profitable year by evenly distributing their profits.  They may give a raise to their best employees to keep them motivated, but it's going to be marginal.  5/125 is a significant raise for JD and he should be happy with it. He's been worth about 4 WAR/season over the last 4 seasons.  He really thinks he should get the same AAV as guys like Stanton, Grienke, Kershaw, Miggy, Votto,  Pujols, and others who were/are elite players when they got their contracts? We are talking guys averaging above 5 WAR with seasons of 7-9 WAR thrown in. 

I agree that fans often follow players now, but none of those guys are on the market.  Maybe Arrieta was one of those guys a couple years back, but his dominance lasted about 2 1/2 years.  He started trending down halfway through 2016. That goes back to the whole marketable thing.  

8 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

My two cents on Puig:

He is an immature dickhead.  I would rather lose the WS than win the WS with Puig as the WS MVP.

Not kidding.  I dont want dickheads attached to Angel history.

i personally like Puig, but ive always liked the guy with an outward passion for the game over the stoic emotionless folks, likely because i am one myself.   
And i think the above is horribly over dramatic.  I would never wish the team failure over a player i didnt like, i just wouldnt cheer as loudly for him when he helps the club. 

Well at least we won't be trotting out an all defensive, no offense CF this season for our 4th/5th outfielder off the bench.

--

Yankees signed OF Shane Robinson to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. The deal comes with a salary of $950,000 if Robinson makes the Yankees' major league roster, though that will be an uphill battle given the talent all across the organization's outfield depth chart. Robinson, 33, is a career .226/.294/.297 hitter in parts of eight seasons at the big league level. Source: Bob Nightengale on Twitter