• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Nice deal for the Mets.  An obvious fit.  

As for Cozart, I guess it boils down to whether you believe in his 2017.  I don't think most would and rightfully so.  But damn he was good.  a 141 wRC+ with excellent defense.  How about a 120 wRC+ with excellent defense for 2018?  I mean, some of that was real with 62 bb in 507 PA.  5 WAR seasons don't grow on trees.  

Could be the next Justin Turner for us

5 hours ago, Revad said:

Plus his flexibility to shift to 2b next year, or even this year if Kinsler gets injured.  Valbuena plus Cowart at 3b would be ok, or next year a FA or trade acquisition could be at 2b or 3b (or pick up Valbuena’s option).  If Eppler is serious about a 6 or 5.5 man rotation that flexibility is huge.

Dear Lord, no it would not be. Those are two below average players.

We've finally solved the problem of not being able to put out at worst a league average player at every position, let's not rush to go back there

I'm maybe the biggest Valbuena fan on the board and I can't see any plausible scenarios where I'd be happy with him counted on as a starter. 

He's perfect in his current Jack Howell role as left-handed bench power and corner infield insurance. 

Cowart's best hope is to get passable at SS and learn some OF so he can have an Andrew Romine-type career.

25 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

One week until pitchers and catchers report.   Which big name FA is going to blink first, and sign?

Hosmer is my bet, to KC. Seems too obvious. Both sides want it to happen. But Boras is in the middle. 

And another day going by allows me my daily.....heh heh heh Bora$$.    You are the main culprit behind all of this, with your stupid original demands and seeming non-budging from.

Really?   Martinez, 7 years/$210 million, off of HALF of a super season and only two rock solid seasons?   Really? Really? Really?  Really????

21 hours ago, Stradling said:

He made all of the pitchers better and he is the best defensive catcher the Angels have had since Bob Boone and yes I think he is better defensively than Molina.  

It's like he didn't pay attention at all last season.  Maldo makes this team better even with a below average bat.

“Pitchers and catchers will report to camps in Florida and Arizona next week. A record number of talented free agents remain unemployed in an industry where revenues and franchise values are at record highs.

Spring Training has always been associated with hope for a new season. This year a significant number of teams are engaged in a race to the bottom. This conduct is a fundamental breach of the trust between a team and its fans and threatens the very integrity of our game.”

Jeff Todd/mlbtraderumors

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Really?   Martinez, 7 years/$210 million, off of HALF of a super season and only two rock solid seasons?   Really? Really? Really?  Really????

Martinez is a solid hitter, but his defensive ability slips every year.  He will most like become a full time DH by the third year of his contract.  National League teams know this, so they have no interest in him.  American League teams know this and realize they'll regret paying the money he wants halfway through the contract.  He should take Boston's 5/100 offer and be thankful.

22 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Maldonado is a beast behind the plate and effects the pitchers and the defense in general. His lack of offensive production is minimal in terms of his impact on the game itself.

The opposing team has 27 outs to win the game and the angels only have 23 because Malonado is an automatic out..........that puts your team at a huge disadvantage and that's quite a substantial impact on the game.

3 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

The opposing team has 27 outs to win the game and the angels only have 23 because Malonado is an automatic out..........that puts your team at a huge disadvantage and that's quite a substantial impact on the game.

Except that the first half of 2017 Machete was anything but an automatic out.    Give him a chance, now that he's played 130+ games.   if they play him 120 games and Rivera the rest, I think we will all be pleasantly surprised.

There are clear and obvious examples of teams tanking, on that point Tony Clark is right.    I think revenue sharing needs to be adjusted based on how much a teams spends, or that there should be a minimum salary allocation to qualify for it.  Teams that are just collecting millions for being perennial also rans are a disgrace.  If there is a luxury tax limit ceiling there should also be a floor.  This would solve those problems and encourage those teams to actually take part in the process rather than being AAAA organizations for the spenders.

BUT.. this doesnt equal collusion, the teams that spend arent working with those who dont, thats obvious.  Right now the top FA arent needs for most of the spenders or they have other long terms plans such as next years FA class preventing it.  Its easily exaplinable using any number of logical arguments, none of which equal collusions. 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

There are clear and obvious examples of teams tanking, on that point Tony Clark is right.    I think revenue sharing needs to be adjusted based on how much a teams spends, or that there should be a minimum salary allocation to qualify for it.  Teams that are just collecting millions for being perennial also rans are a disgrace.  If there is a luxury tax limit ceiling there should also be a floor.  This would solve those problems and encourage those teams to actually take part in the process rather than being AAAA organizations for the spenders.

BUT.. this doesnt equal collusion, the teams that spend arent working with those who dont, thats obvious.  Right now the top FA arent needs for most of the spenders or they have other long terms plans such as next years FA class preventing it.  Its easily exaplinable using any number of logical arguments, none of which equal collusions. 

I think you have a good idea here.  Make a salary floor and if teams don't reach it then they lose their first round pick.  

It's really unfair that the angels try to compete every year and are penalized for it because they always end up with the middle pick.

20 minutes ago, floplag said:

This is a great summary of the situation and what's happening and what should happen. 

50 minutes ago, floplag said:

Edited by Biergott

57 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

images 2.jpg

58 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

This is another example of you being you.  Looking at Maldonado’s OBP, versus the rest of the American League catchers he gets on base about 20 less times, or less than once less time a week, than the average catcher.  So yea everyone, facts and stats suck against negative opinions.