• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

3 weeks from when pitchers and catchers report.  What is with this years hot stove?  

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-free-agent-tracker-2017-18-latest-hot-stove-signings-best-players-available/

According to this ranking, only 9 of the 20 top free agents have signed.  Only 3 of the top 10 with the Angels having signed 2 of them.  I don't think I remember a hotstove that has been so cold.  Just looking at the top 10, I think of those available, only Darvish has no compensation attached, with everyone else being offered and rejecting a qualifying offer.  

Slow hot stove isn't just boring...now we are hearing strike talk begin to simmer.  Of course its from the Doyers.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/dodgers/2018/01/28/dodgers-pitcher-kenley-jansen-slow-mlb-offseason-maybe-we-need-strike/1073050001/

http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-jansen-union-20180127-story.html

Another strike in baseball would be devastating.  Sorry if this is a Craig, I'm overdue for one of those.

GB, it's actually just 2 weeks until pitchers and catchers report.

I haven't seen such a slow off-season for big name FA's in quite some time.

Not for the Halos as much as MLB in general....

“Well Darvish?....We’re waiting!”

Because, aside from the higher Ks count, you are a right-handed Nibs!   Same health issues, same higher BBs totals

@Biergott @Angel Oracle  Do you guys think any of this has to do with the proposed Disney takeover of the Fox RSN's?  Are teams being cautious, because the RSN money may be drying up?  I just don't get why this offseason has been so slow for FA's.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRghSG2xROOkgctuzj56pUSP6zCxUUQ1i7LND0jnficQ0TPtIY8OhNl3AN_StqMvBCHnO_qOXKZeTbE/pubhtml

As of right now, only 2 teams are over the tax threshold.  Even the Dogs and Yanks are under it.  3 teams are over $100 million under the cap.  10 total teams over $75 million under the cap.  

14 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

@Biergott @Angel Oracle  Do you guys think any of this has to do with the proposed Disney takeover of the Fox RSN's?  Are teams being cautious, because the RSN money may be drying up?  I just don't get why this offseason has been so slow for FA's.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRghSG2xROOkgctuzj56pUSP6zCxUUQ1i7LND0jnficQ0TPtIY8OhNl3AN_StqMvBCHnO_qOXKZeTbE/pubhtml

As of right now, only 2 teams are over the tax threshold.  Even the Dogs and Yanks are under it.  3 teams are over $100 million under the cap.  10 total teams over $75 million under the cap.  

And owners are getting 50 mil from the sale of BAM....   

what are the penalties for going over the threshold? one of my co-workers is a dodger fan and said they're looking at being nailed for over $100 mil in fines if they go over. i don't want to argue with her, but i know her numbers are way off.

55 minutes ago, Tank said:

what are the penalties for going over the threshold? one of my co-workers is a dodger fan and said they're looking at being nailed for over $100 mil in fines if they go over. i don't want to argue with her, but i know her numbers are way off.

That actually may be correct. The penalty escalates for each year you go over and they've certainly been over, in some years way way over, for awhile.

Its just slow for a number of reasons. Boras has most of the top guys, the top guys generally set the market, and Boras loves waiting it out because ultimately he still gets what he wants most of the time.

Problem is the big spenders aren't spending - Yankees and Dogs want to get under, Angels, Red Sox, Cubs, Rangers, Nationals don't want to go over, Illich is dead, Astros don't need to...couple that with half of the orgs opting to 'tank' and he's trying to make a bidding war that isn't going to happen.