• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

Seems a little unusual to start on this for Ohtani when spring is still over a month away.  They could go in February. 

Well it’s such an unusual situation that I personally would want as much info as early as possible to start putting a schedule in place to use him the best possible way. 

If the market keeps softening, then Darvish would be a great addition, but at no more than 4 years.  If he insists on 5+, then I'd pass.  4 years is a lot of risk for a 31 year old pitcher, but I'd be willing to absorb that risk, knowing there's a good chance Richards leaves after this year.  Darvish would essentially serve as top-of-the-rotation insurance for a Richards departure.

1 minute ago, JarsOfClay said:

I dont know what Darvish wants, but he did say that he wont give the rangers a hometown discount, and that he will basically go to the highest bidder.

Also, I thought Ohtani wanted to be the lone japanese star on the team.  If that's true why would the angels go after Darvish?

We have no idea if that is true or false about Ohtani wanting to be the only Japanese star on the team.

I haven't read anything about Darvish only going to highest bidder. I don't think he was very happy in Texas, and therefore wasn't going to give them a discount. He has mentioned before he likes Los Angeles.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

As the offseason drags on, I can only assume the chances of the Angels striking on a pitcher get better. 

I was pretty against Darvish or Arrieta at the onset of the winter, but agree, Yu's presence would make this rotation and team pretty special. Ohtani's price tag allows you to pay big for a SP - you're effectively splitting the cost of two aces with him aboard. Goddamn what a great gift Ohtani wound up being.

The reliever market has been so insane, I can see Eppler passing there, adding another SP into the mix, and then you could see guys like Shoemaker, Tropeano, Ramirez, and even Skaggs get pushed into relief duty if the rotation is strong enough and they don't stick. Any of those guys could be pretty effective in relief I'd think.

There was a murmur Cobb would accept a 4/$70 - thoughts?

Yeah man, I feel if the Angels land Darvish or Arrieta they'll have a solid three #1 types in the front of the rotation and can really implement a solid 6man rotation and have the depth in case there's an injury. 

Also, we could probably trade Skaggs for a late inning cost controlled bullpen guy (like the Astros did getting Giles) so we don't have to fork out Wade Davis type money for a closer. 

20 minutes ago, wopphil said:

If guys like Homer Bailey, Mike Peake, and Jeff Samardizja are worth $16-19 mil a year, Darvish is clearly worth something well north of $20 mil per. And he will get five years, no doubt. Even at just $22-23 mil, that's a 5/$110-115 deal. 

I still think he's a #1 front line guy, so he's easily worth it. 

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah man, I feel if the Angels land Darvish or Arrieta they'll have a solid three #1 types in the front of the rotation and can really implement a solid 6man rotation and have the depth in case there's an injury. 

Also, we could probably trade Skaggs for a late inning cost controlled bullpen guy (like the Astros did getting Giles) so we don't have to fork out Wade Davis type money for a closer. 

Perhaps it's just a difference of how a #1 is defined, but I don't consider Richards or Darvish as a #1.  Strong #2s probably,  but not a #1.  I think of a true #1 as more of an ace-type pitcher, such as Kershaw, Scherzer, Sale, Kluber, etc.  As for Ohtani, well, we'll see.  I won't call him a #1 right now without him having thrown a single pitch in the MLB yet.  I have high hopes for him, but I do need to see him perform and adjust first before giving him that kind of label.

4 hours ago, wopphil said:

I don't think there is any chance Darvish signs for anything less than 5/120, and probably closer to 6/150.

Yeah, and at those prices, then good luck to him wherever he ends up.  He'd be cool to have, but we don't need him, and I am okay not bothering to pursue him if he isn't willing to take a discount to play here.  We were Wild Card contenders last year with JC Ramirez and Parker Bridwell being our best starters, while running guys like Danny Espinoza at 2B for half the season.  We're a MUCH better team now than last year, even without a significant SP signing like Darvish.  We have the luxury of being picky moving forward, as we should be.

38 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Perhaps it's just a difference of how a #1 is defined, but I don't consider Richards or Darvish as a #1.  Strong #2s probably,  but not a #1.  I think of a true #1 as more of an ace-type pitcher, such as Kershaw, Scherzer, Sale, Kluber, etc.  As for Ohtani, well, we'll see.  I won't call him a #1 right now without him having thrown a single pitch in the MLB yet.  I have high hopes for him, but I do need to see him perform and adjust first before giving him that kind of label.

In my mind, the Angels need a big game pitcher who can match up with any other big game pitcher.  Any team's #1 in my mind simply represents the best pitcher the team has, nothing more.  The defense that Eppler has assembled should improve any pitcher's ability to keep the Angels in the game.

51 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, and at those prices, then good luck to him wherever he ends up.  He'd be cool to have, but we don't need him, and I am okay not bothering to pursue him if he isn't willing to take a discount to play here.  We were Wild Card contenders last year with JC Ramirez and Parker Bridwell being our best starters, while running guys like Danny Espinoza at 2B for half the season.  We're a MUCH better team now than last year, even without a significant SP signing like Darvish.  We have the luxury of being picky moving forward, as we should be.

We need every good pitcher we can get. 5/$110ish is around my max, but agreed, more than that and I'd balk. Maybe 6/$120, but eesh. 

Ohtani affords us the flexibility to roll the dice and it does transform the staff and the team.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

We need every good pitcher we can get. 5/$110ish is around my max, but agreed, more than that and I'd balk. Maybe 6/$120, but eesh. 

Ohtani affords us the flexibility to roll the dice and it does transform the staff and the team.

We do indeed need every good pitcher we can get, but I don't want to sign a guy on the wrong side of 30 to a 5+ year contract.  It very rarely turns out well.  We already have a payroll anchor on this team for another 4 years.  I'd like to avoid adding a second one.  If we can get Darvish for a 4 year deal, then okay, I'm willing to take that risk.  But 5 years, or even *6* years?  No way.

10 hours ago, krAbs said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21960257

"Where do you think the two aces in this market, Yu Darvish and Jake Arrieta, will sign?

Doolittle: Darvish with the Angels and Arrieta with the Cubs.

Miller: Angels and Cubs.

Schoenfield: Let's go Darvish to the Cubs and Arrieta to the Rangers. The Twins are a sleeper for either guy."

Interesting how confident they seem that darvish will be an angel. Still seems unlikely to me (they don't know Eppler like we know Eppler), but if the price was right, darvish would really help this rotation become something special.

Just like when every analyst said Moustakas to the Angels was a foregone conclusion