• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

17 minutes ago, floplag said:

I'm sorry but these terms are absurd.  7, 8 year deals?  upwards of 20 mil per?  For these guys?  At least we now know why things aren't moving, i wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole on any of them, not one. 

Upton @ 5 yrs $104 million sure sounds pretty good

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Upton @ 5 yrs $104 million sure sounds pretty good

been saying that for a few days now.  just wait till JDM gets 6/160+.  Hosmer at 140mil?  that's craycray.  The only thing about Hosmer is that he's only entering his age 28 season.  So teams will get at least 4 and maybe 5 prime level years.  But we've seen how he's inclined to throw up a stinker here and there.  

there's still gonna be a couple guys left standing that we could pounce on though.  

The Royals are crazy if they resign Hosmer to a 7/140 deal.

I can understand this from the Padres' perspective, though.  They're in the next phase of their rebuild - trying to accumulate a few veteran major leaguers, who will combine with the immense farm talent that'll be coming up in the next 2-3 years.  It's an overpay regardless, but given all the cheap talent they're about to have, they can afford an overpay for a few players as needed.

I guess the money is "crazy" but when you compare it to things outside of baseball it doesn't seem so nuts.

Hosmer is a good ballplayer in his prime.  He plays 162 games plus spring training and he has to travel for 81 games.  Getting paid $20m for that seems high until you compare it to:

Katy Perry got $25m to judge a season of American Idol.

Ellen Degeneres gets $50m to chat with people ima couch and dance for 15 seconds an episode.

Cameron Diaz made $42m for the movie Bad Teacher.

9 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

The Royals are crazy if they resign Hosmer to a 7/140 deal.

I can understand this from the Padres' perspective, though.  They're in the next phase of their rebuild - trying to accumulate a few veteran major leaguers, who will combine with the immense farm talent that'll be coming up in the next 2-3 years.  It's an overpay regardless, but given all the cheap talent they're about to have, they can afford an overpay for a few players as needed.

We know the Royals cant compete with the big market clubs.

I am suspicious all this talk with San Diego is establishing a true market for him in a smaller market so he can judge the Royals offer to stay home as fair or discounted.

We will see.

8 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I guess the money is "crazy" but when you compare it to things outside of baseball it doesn't seem so nuts.

Hosmer is a good ballplayer in his prime.  He plays 162 games plus spring training and he has to travel for 81 games.  Getting paid $20m for that seems high until you compare it to:

Katy Perry got $25m to judge a season of American Idol.

Ellen Degeneres gets $50m to chat with people ima couch and dance for 15 seconds an episode.

Cameron Diaz made $42m for the movie Bad Teacher.

Haha, well yes, if we compare his contract to those.. then yes, I fully agree with you.

But I would say his deal is crazy to the Royals, in the context that they probably won't be a contender for years, given that their core is breaking apart and they have no minor league system to supplement.  

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

We know the Royals cant compete with the big market clubs.

I am suspicious all this talk with San Diego is establishing a true market for him in a smaller market so he can judge the Royals offer to stay home as fair or discounted.

We will see.

The Padres are going to be a future legitimate contender for many years.  They have spectacularly rebuilt their farm system, and it does make sense to me that they're going to want to add a few players like Hosmer to go along with that burgeoning talent.  Perhaps they might even take a shot at one of the upcoming big-time free agents in 2019, hoping that if they sign a player or two this offseason, and their young players are on the cusp, that they could allure a star with a monster contract + the promise of future contention.

Who knows really, but I do see the Padres' angle here.

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Haha, well yes, if we compare his contract to those.. then yes, I fully agree with you.

But I would say his deal is crazy to the Royals, in the context that they probably won't be a contender for years, given that their core is breaking apart and they have no minor league system to supplement.  

Totally get it.  I just try to keep reminding myself that the sport generates tons of money to cover these salaries AND the owner pretty reliably have massive gains in equity on the balance sheet even though they pay these high salaries.

So for me, why should I cate if they make sick money when the alternative is the owner just keeps it?

In the context of somebody will have that money, why should I care if the player gets it?

If Hosmer can get filthy rich, good for him.

10 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

The Padres are going to be a future legitimate contender for many years.  They have spectacularly rebuilt their farm system, and it does make sense to me that they're going to want to add a few players like Hosmer to go along with that burgeoning talent.  Perhaps they might even take a shot at one of the upcoming big-time free agents in 2019, hoping that if they sign a player or two this offseason, and their young players are on the cusp, that they could allure a star with a monster contract + the promise of future contention.

Who knows really, but I do see the Padres' angle here.

I dont see the Padres ever doing the monster mega contact free agent.  Their path is graduating a massive amount of big talent into the majors at the same time and then (like the Astros) trade for one or two leadership vets down a stretch.

Lots of teams roll right through a big contract if it ends up being a bust.  The Padres would not be in that category, so I doubt it.

Every player deserves what they get on the open market.  

Agree with Warfarin's post that it actually makes some sense for the Padres.  If they can keep his AAV at 20m and get 3-4 WAR per season from him for the next 4-5 years, it will be worth the money.    It would be a way better deal than the Chris Davis contract.   Probably a better deal than Mauer.  

i am generally of the mindset that you don't pay big dollars for 1b unless you are getting someone absolutely elite and we've seen how that generally works out even still.  

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I knew an acquaintance while in 6th grade, who's last name was Adee.    Being in that era, imagine the ribbing he got.

All I could hear when I saw the picture was "Whoooooo does blah, blah, blah? Adee do!"