• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

Just now, DMVol said:

He did fall in our lap....Stoneman was done....had signed Colon, Escobar and Guillen  pretty quickly and wasn’t going after Vlad...Vlad’s best offer was the O’s, Mets were also involved....His agent called Stoney...Stoney told Arte we weren’t going to do this but he wants to come....Arte approved the signing, went over budget...

Shows how little I remember that. I was a fresh faced teenager about to go off to war. I heard about Vlad and thought it was neat but had s lot of other things on my mind.

13 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

Shows how little I remember that. I was a fresh faced teenager about to go off to war. I heard about Vlad and thought it was neat but had s lot of other things on my mind.

Well, with age comes faulty memory sometimes....but I think that was the story, or close to it....

8 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

Funny you mention that. I was in the field on workups when we signed him. At 05 or so i got up and grabbed my phone from my HUMVEE (old school phone days, not smart phones) and had a voicemail from the night before that we signed him. No internet so i couldnt get any more info. And the whole time was like "this is gonna be the greatest season of all time, and I leave for 6 minths in april"...

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Funny you mention that. I was in the field on workups when we signed him. At 05 or so i got up and grabbed my phone from my HUMVEE (old school phone days, not smart phones) and had a voicemail from the night before that we signed him. No internet so i couldnt get any more info. And the whole time was like "this is gonna be the greatest season of all time, and I leave for 6 minths in april"...

In 2005 when the Angels were in the ALCS, myself and several others were sent to a comfy FOB, and I was pulled for 24 hour duty while there. I was amazed. They had TV and everything. Watched game 3 on AFN. 

Best duty ever. Office chairs, a heater, big screen, phones...

5 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

In 2005 when the Angels were in the ALCS, myself and several others were sent to a comfy FOB, and I was pulled for 24 hour duty while there. I was amazed. They had TV and everything. Watched game 3 on AFN. 

Best duty ever. Office chairs, a heater, big screen, phones...

Toilet paper, toilet with a door, etc. The kind of place that makes you wonder why you didnt listen to the other recruiters...lol

10 hours ago, DMVol said:

He did fall in our lap....Stoneman was done....had signed Colon, Escobar and Guillen  pretty quickly and wasn’t going after Vlad...Vlad’s best offer was the O’s, Mets were also involved....His agent called Stoney...Stoney told Arte we weren’t going to do this but he wants to come....Arte approved the signing, went over budget...

The way I remember it is Stoneman called about Rafael Palmeiro and his agent was the same as Vlads' and he told Stoneman that Vlad was still available. 

11 hours ago, DMVol said:

I think the Dodgers were pursuing Vlad too.

6 hours ago, Lou said:

I remember the Dodgers having a deal "done" with Vladdy but the impending sale to McCourt screwed it up. Then it came down to the O's, Mets and us. 

Could be.....but I do recall Stoneman being "done" after Colon, Escobar and Guillen....he laid out some money for those three (particularly Colon) and I don't think Vlad was on the radar....memory may be fuzzy but I seem to recall reading that Vlad's agent let Stoney know that there was an opening if we wanted to jump in (I guess the implied message was that Vlad wasn't crazy about playing for the O's or Mets, particularly the O's)...beatlesrule's post about the agent and Stoney is probably accurate.  Anyway, Vlad's market seemingly was limited some by concerns about his back....I also recall reading that Stoney asked Arte to go over budget since we had a good chance to get a premium player....Arte agreed....one reason I've always liked Arte, even though he has screwed up on occasion (Pujols, Hamilton, Reagins, DiPoto)....

29 minutes ago, krAbs said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/international-notes-choi-senga-yang.html

Angels linked to Ji-man Choi? I mean...he can't really play baseball, but I do miss seeing him.

He'd be fine as our SLC 1B. He's probably a 4A player at this point but at least he'd help the AAA team.